PDA

View Full Version : 2006 X3 - What Price Should I Pay?

talkjames
01-17-2008, 01:25 PM
I am shopping for a 2006 X3 and I am seeing prices around $32K for car with about 20K miles on it. I assume that these cars are lease returns where the dealer has already made a bunch of cash on the car so regardless of the KBB value of the car anything the dealer sells the car for is icing on the cake. In addition the poor economy should be something I can use to my advantage no?

This is my first time purchasing a used car so I would like to go in with my eyes as open as possible.

Any thoughts, ancedotes, buying experiences?

Any recommended dealers in the Southern California area?

Thanks,

James

CoupeCrazy
01-17-2008, 06:07 PM
I am shopping for a 2006 X3 and I am seeing prices around $32K for car with about 20K miles on it. I assume that these cars are lease returns where the dealer has already made a bunch of cash on the car so regardless of the KBB value of the car anything the dealer sells the car for is icing on the cake. In addition the poor economy should be something I can use to my advantage no?

This is my first time purchasing a used car so I would like to go in with my eyes as open as possible.

Any thoughts, ancedotes, buying experiences?

Any recommended dealers in the Southern California area?

Thanks,

James

Need more information on how the vehicle is equipped. These little suckers can get pricey if fully optioned out!

My suggestion: check autotrader.com and do some comparison shopping. :thumbup:

porschebreath
01-17-2008, 07:45 PM
I recently purchased a 2006 6 - speed no leather , with winter package 30,000 miles in perfect shape for $24,000 from dealer. It is not certified , but covered under factory warranty and a one owner.

UncleJ
01-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Depends on the car and options as Coupe wrote. Probably a perfect one can be had for around $28-30K in SoCal. You are fortunate in that there are a TON of BMW stores in your area and all of them want your money! Deals can be had. Do your due diligence and shop around. Be careful of any cheap '07s that you might find, they could be a buy back with auto transmission issues. The '06 and below did not have the problem. MT of course had no problem unless you had a "clutch rider" driving the thing. I don't think the economy is an issue, unless of course you are a screen writer on strike. On the X5 board a poster recommended South Bay BMW and Phillipe Kahn who is a board sponsor. You might check with him. Good luck and good hunting!

talkjames
01-18-2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks to all for your input.

I figure that the options are pretty much the same for each of these similar priced vehicles my main question is how much bargaining room is there from the advertised price? I am more familiar with buying new cars and at least in that situation I have an invoice price to work from, buying used I have no idea how much the dealer has invested in a particular car that he has leased out and gotten back. I figure he has made a substantial $ in the lease experience but I don't know what the reserve is on one of these cars as a basis for negotiations.

I work in the south bay and have visited south bay BMW, the guy I talked to (not the person you mentioned) was kind of smarmy. But that's what I expect from car salesmen. I didn't care much for what they had available on the lot, mostly 04's with the 2.5

Thanks again for the tips and if there are any more out there I would appreciate it.

James

cnp55
01-18-2008, 05:05 PM
I recently paid $32K for a 2006 x3 with barely 10K miles on it. I'm in Connecticut. It had the panoroma moon roof, heated seats, heated steering wheel. Nice car -- I am pretty happy with it.

AzNMpower32
01-18-2008, 05:11 PM
The 3 '06 X3s that are listed at my nearby dealer have a list price of $32k and all have premium, xenon, and heated seats, minimum. The lowest mileage one also has Servotronic and the 18" all-season wheels. Dealer here usually goes $1000-1500 below list price depending on demand and how long its been sitting on the lot.

talkjames
01-22-2008, 10:32 AM
I test drove a standard 06 X3 and one with the sports package. It felt as though the one with the sport package had more power. I think it may be due to the different wheels? So now I am kinda sold on the sports package but with the added cost of it makes me think the an 05 X5 maybe a viable alternative.

Andrew*Debbie
01-22-2008, 11:21 AM
There shouldn't be a power difference. It could be that the other one is down on power a bit.

Cars with the sport package do handle better. They also ride stiffer. Some of the sport package cars have summer tires. That isn't a problem in Fullerton unless you plan to take your X3 up to the snow. The bigger wheels / lower profile tires are not a good idea if you go off road either. You can always get a 2nd set of wheels and tires for snow or off road use...

Schmebi
01-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Don't look at it from the angle that the dealerships have made a ton of money on the leases (the finance company did). However, with the amount of dealerships in southern California creating competition you should be able to get a good deal. Also, if you are willing to drive a manual, you could get an even better deal as they are not a popular choice and dealers will be looking to move them. Good luck.:)