PDA

View Full Version : 2006 X3 Defective Radio?

brasshat325I
01-18-2008, 10:15 PM
I purchased a BMW CD Changer for my 2006 X3. Hooked it up and no volume only static noise coming form speakers. If I turn the volume up to max I can hear some music. All other functions work except volume. Sounds like a defective radio. Anyone else have this problem? Call dealer next week.

Thanks

kjboyd
01-18-2008, 10:40 PM
did you change out the cable in the back of the radio to the CD changer plug?

brasshat325I
01-19-2008, 07:12 AM
No need to it is pre-wired for CD Changer plug and play.

BMW_tech
01-19-2008, 07:22 AM
I purchased a BMW CD Changer for my 2006 X3. Hooked it up and no volume only static noise coming form speakers. If I turn the volume up to max I can hear some music. All other functions work except volume. Sounds like a defective radio. Anyone else have this problem? Call dealer next week.

Thanks

For no Audio Sound from Retrofitted CD Changer.

E83 (X3) with Business CD Radio (option 662) from 09/2005.

1) The "old generation" CD Changer is not compatible for these vehicles.

2) The "new generation" CD Changer is not retrofitted (coded) via Progman to the vehicle.

You need to install the "new generation" CD Changer (P/N 65 12 6 983 336) and perform retrofit encoding via PROGMAN using the latest and greatest.This information provided by BMWNA,reference S.I.B. 65 01 06.

Driver8
01-19-2008, 11:56 AM
I posted a possible fix in your other thread. Check it out and see if it works.

Evlengr
01-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Or you could just do what I did and put in a system that works and sounds ten times better hehe.

PS how bout them eers :-)

brasshat325I
01-20-2008, 07:23 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I have only a couple of choices.

Looks like the wiring in the rear is for XM or Sirius radio.

My final question. Has anyone used the 6-pin and 3-pin and used a CD Changer after switching wire harness in the radio?

I wanted to try and hook up a Kenwood Keg but looks like I will settle for an Ipod.

Should I go with Grom or spend the extra money and go with Dice?

Thanks

Driver8
01-20-2008, 08:24 AM
There's another option: why not go with the BMW OEM Ipod solution? It might cost a little more, but it'll give you full functionality using the steering wheel controls (granted...so will the Dice unit and it will bring HD Radio with it too).

Did you try the cable swap at the back of the head unit to see if the rear cables would allow your CDC to work? Based on my past experience with other BMWs, the two cables (3-pin and 6-pin) should be all you need to connect an OEM CDC. A bracket for the rear X3 compartment may be a little hard to come by, however.

Driver8
01-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Or you could just do what I did and put in a system that works and sounds ten times better hehe.

PS how bout them eers :-)

Go Mountaineers!

...and how 'bout them Terps! Way to roll over UNC!

UUNetBill
01-27-2008, 05:42 PM
+ 1 on dem 'Eers!! Just got my Fiesta Bowl hoodies (for me, the wife, AND the kids!!) and my Fiesta Bowl Champs hats from the BCS store last week!! I've REALLY been sportin' the blue and gold lately!! :thumbup: