PDA

View Full Version : CD Changer Wiring Issues

brasshat325I
01-19-2008, 06:22 AM
Does anyone know what the 6-pin and 3-pin connectors are on the left side of the trunk? I was told they are for the CD Changer. Does not work when connected there.

In the center console there are two 6-pin and one 3-pin. One of the 6-pins is marked CD and the other has no label. If you use the one marked CD the CD Changer does not work. If you use the other one it does. That kind of solves the problem.

Is it not true a 2006 X3 is pre-wired for CD Changer in the trunk and console? If so is my X3 wired wrong somewhere.

I really perfer to mount the CD Changer in the trunk area.

Thanks

Driver8
01-19-2008, 10:21 AM
I thought the rear compartment wiring was for the CDC too. It's odd that your CDC wouldn't work when attached to the rear wiring.

However, while I didn't use mine for a CDC hookup, I did utilize it for a Blitzsafe/XM hookup, and it works flawlessly. I didn't want to use the console wiring because I needed to access the antenna leads.

As many others have found, I too had to pull the head unit and swap the wiring behind the radio in order for the rear compartment wiring to be fully functional (for more info search "removal of head unit" and/or "installing satellite radio" to read more regarding this procedure).

Perhaps this is why it didn't work? It's worth a look-see, since it's not hard to do. If you find anything, let us know...this might be good archive stuff. Good luck!

x3ronnie
01-19-2008, 06:15 PM
The Pre-wiring assumes you'll use the center console as a mounting location. To use the rear wires, you will will have to pull the radio out and swap the wires as mentioned. I have my XM using Blitzsafe and the rear connectors. I had to swap the cables behind the radio.

brasshat325I
01-20-2008, 06:19 AM
Thanks everyone for your advice. I have only a couple of choices.

Looks like the wiring in the rear is for XM or Sirius radio.

My final question. Has anyone used the 6-pin and 3-pin and used a CD Changer after switching wire harness in the radio?

I wanted to try and hook up a Kenwood Keg but looks like I will settle for an Ipod.

Thanks

x3ronnie
01-20-2008, 10:40 AM
If you swap the cables behind the radio, the center connectors will not work. The idea is, if you get the oem Sirius there is a connection that allows you to keep both the rear and center cables working. I have XM connected in the rear, the center console 3&6 pin connectors are disabled, and I can still connect another source to the rear connectors. I could, for example, connect a DICE iPod interface in the rear. I choose to use the aux input for my iPod instead.