PDA

View Full Version : X3 or FX 35

dashiell
01-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey,
I have been reading this forum for several days, very informative.
My X5 lease is up in Feb., it seems I have been priced out of the X5 game, but I drove the X3 sport equipped version the other day and loved it. I also like the FX 35, and when I go to there BB's all they do is rave about their Infiniti's. However, over here, it seems like I might be buying a death trap(an exaggeration to make a point). My X5 has been blissfully free of problems and another BMW would be my first choice, but I have had a car with transmission issues before('91 Jetta GLI) and it was a nightmare. My long winded question is this; I would be ordering my X3 now so that I could get it exactly how I want it(loaded, Monaco/Tobacco), I assume that it would be built in Feb. '08, would the transmission still potentially be a problem, or has this been addressed? If it might be an issue, being a numbers guy, what are we talking about chancewise, 2%, 5%, 25 %?
Thanks for listening.

sandlakeont
01-20-2008, 06:56 AM
i,m in the same boat as you.......why buy something with a known problem and hope it goes away....x3 and the gmc acadia both have the transmission thing.......the acura rdx has turbo lag.........i will soon be going to the infiniti dealer and check out the new ex or the fx, if the ex is too small......all they talk about on their forums are good things about
the vehicles..........i am trading in a perfectly good 2005 330i and don,t plan to trade for kmown problems in any vehicle....sure will miss the free maintenance though..oh well..

trueX5
01-20-2008, 06:58 AM
Buy an EX35.

Evlengr
01-20-2008, 08:16 AM
Curious ---I havent heard an disadvantages to the infiniti to this date either.

And as a numbers guy as well (engineer)I can say from this board that roughly 30% of those that responded to an informal poll would Not get an AT X3 again.

Several people have had their X3's replaced as a result of the tranny and some new 08 owners are now reporting the same problem.

One of BMWCCA's (Car Club of America) own author's said, the vehicle is great with the exception of the "Herky Jerky" transmission.

I will be replacing my 07 at the end of this month with either an MT or another make. That will be up to BMWNA and their uber mechanic that they are sending out.

I am considering the infiniti as well as several others as a replacement.

UncleJ
01-21-2008, 10:37 AM
One of the knocks you hear about Japanese cars is they are boring appliances and have no "soul". Interestingly Nissan/Infiniti is the one brand that seems to go against the stream on this. Have had a Nissan truck which was a great vehicle and actually had a personality. A nephew has an FX35 and just loves it. I like the FX performance, but hate the high beltline and snug cockpit which makes me feel a bit claustrophobic. The EX doesn't seem as bad but I have yet to sit in one. Neither one IMHO matches the X3 with a perfectly functioning transmission. BMW must know there is a problem here.

jo-e90
01-21-2008, 12:16 PM
One of the knocks you hear about Japanese cars is they are boring appliances and have no "soul". Interestingly Nissan/Infiniti is the one brand that seems to go against the stream on this. Have had a Nissan truck which was a great vehicle and actually had a personality. A nephew has an FX35 and just loves it. I like the FX performance, but hate the high beltline and snug cockpit which makes me feel a bit claustrophobic. The EX doesn't seem as bad but I have yet to sit in one. Neither one IMHO matches the X3 with a perfectly functioning transmission. BMW must know there is a problem here.

I sat in an EX this weekend and you would not like the cockpit as it is smaller and more snug cockpit than the FX

KarlC
01-21-2008, 06:50 PM
I had the FX35 Sport its nice but I like my X3 6 speed way better. The FX35 feels disconected form the road compaired to the X3 and my X3 is not even the sport

AzNMpower32
01-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Get the X3. As long as it is a late build (post 11/07) model, you will be fine. Or even better, buy a 6-speed manual, the only one in its class.

I drove a '08 X3 for a day and I did not want to get my 325i back from service. It was fun and familiar to me, except now in a more mature and "wow this thing's fast" package compared to my '04.

Andrewinla
01-22-2008, 12:02 AM
The Infinity EX is one ugly vehicle! Just my opinion.
The FX is much nicer looking.

Have had our 07 X3 with auto. Traded in a 325i (2005) and it feels very familiar but with lots more power.

No issues here...

dashiell
01-22-2008, 03:38 AM
I was waiting for the EX to come out, no thanks. Technologically a great vehicle but if the FX is a sports car/SUV, then the EX is a sports car/Hatchback, along the lines of the old GTI.

UncleJ
01-22-2008, 09:00 AM
Well, if the EX has a snugger cockpit than the FX that takes it off my list. Actually I have to get a seven seater next time (grandkids) so I should have been looking for one of those. Still, its fun to look at what's out there.

m0n0x!de
01-22-2008, 09:01 AM
X3 all the way!!!

Mystic1
01-22-2008, 04:56 PM
We just looked at the FX35 about 2 weeks ago as a possible replacement to the X3, and we are sticking with the BMW. The FX is nice, but the ergonomics are a little odd, and the 2nd row center seat seatbelt comes out of the roof in the middle of the car. Kind of obtrusive in the rearview. These issues coupled with the lack of a manual tranny brought us back to the X3 which we are buying off lease. The FX rode and drove well, just not a BMW. And the EX is waaaay too small.

MB330
01-24-2008, 10:50 PM
X1 maybe ?:dunno:

dug01
01-25-2008, 09:32 AM
The FX is a silly looking vehicle--looks like the roof belongs on a smaller vehicle--and the exhaust sounds cheap..I sat in one at the auto show and found the interior bizarre and too tight..I prefer the murano --once you get over the CVT its a nicer vehicle and more spacious inside. I drove a couple and its a good driving vehicle. But I think the X3 looks better than either. I like my X3 but at this point I would not buy another--just not worth the high price.

AzNMpower32
01-25-2008, 10:42 AM
The FX is a silly looking vehicle--looks like the roof belongs on a smaller vehicle--and the exhaust sounds cheap..I sat in one at the auto show and found the interior bizarre and too tight..I prefer the murano --once you get over the CVT its a nicer vehicle and more spacious inside. I drove a couple and its a good driving vehicle. But I think the X3 looks better than either. I like my X3 but at this point I would not buy another--just not worth the high price.
BMW's profit margins in general are falling due to the Euro. Be happy that BMW doesn't charge more for its cars (like it does in other countries) and that they didn't adjust prices for MY 2008.

My parents' 325i sport would cost 47.720 in Germany.

dug01
01-25-2008, 12:56 PM
BMW's profit margins in general are falling due to the Euro. Be happy that BMW doesn't charge more for its cars (like it does in other countries) and that they didn't adjust prices for MY 2008.

My parents' 325i sport would cost 47.720 in Germany.
I didn't think of that--that means that because of the weak dollar that all imported goods--including autos will go up in price. But I bet the trade-in value of the vehicles will not go up-----:dunno:

AzNMpower32
01-25-2008, 04:03 PM
I didn't think of that--that means that because of the weak dollar that all imported goods--including autos will go up in price. But I bet the trade-in value of the vehicles will not go up-----:dunno:
I did read an article in the WSJ about how automakers hedge their currencies for a few years ahead of time. The article warned that the hedges for many major German automakers, including MB, VW, and BMW, are due to expire within the next couple years. Hence, now would be a good time to buy a European car, considering that right now, 1 EUR = $1.50 USD.

Currency exchange rates are also a big reason why BMW is shifting the higher-volume X3 to the US for the next redesign in MY2011.