PDA

View Full Version : I got the CAR

stickyrice
01-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Well, my wife and I went and purchased the 08 X3 today. It is Titanium Silver with Premium package, front heated seats, privacy glass, DSP radio, xenon. And of course, black interior.

My wife could not wait for the alpine white with the backup sensor assistance, because that is one of the "must have" option. With that it has the terracotta/black interior, which is nice and rare to own. Already, I noticed that I am only getting 17mpg. This is a sad number, and I have been really light on the pedal.

Moving on to the mods now. Can someone feed me information regarding a DIY on the ipod adapter. Thanks!

Lance Alot
01-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Sticky, congrats on the new car! And I'm sure the MPG will get better with time.

batavia_x3
01-21-2008, 04:54 AM
sticky , i bought 06 blk on blk fully loaded 2 days back. its great feeling driving bmw. congrats both of you.

claud 3
01-21-2008, 04:57 AM
Try enfig.com for the latest ipod adapters. Congrats on the new addition.

Andrew*Debbie
01-21-2008, 05:44 AM
Welcome to the BMW X3 owners group .... We ordered Park Distance Control on our X3. It works, but you really don't need it.

Already, I noticed that I am only getting 17mpg.

Your economy will go up after the first 1000 miles or so. The X3 is a 4000lb car. The always-on X-drive doesn't help. It will never do well in stop and go driving.

If you haven't already done it, check your tire inflation. Use the higher of the two recommended inflation numbers. They are on a sticker in the driver's doorsill. If you add air, don't forget to reset the TPMS.

The OBC readout isn't always correct. I had one BMW where it read consistently 10% low.

Post break-in we get 19.9 in our manual transmission X3. Mostly city driving with some freeway mixed in. Average speed is 29mph. The stick may do better in real world driving even though the EPA numbers for the MT are lower than the AT.

Our 2006 MX-5 miata gets about 26mpg in similar driving.

Moving on to the mods now. Can someone feed me information regarding a DIY on the ipod adapter. Thanks!

Search bimmerfest or google for DICE.

dug01
01-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Well, my wife and I went and purchased the 08 X3 today. It is Titanium Silver with Premium package, front heated seats, privacy glass, DSP radio, xenon. And of course, black interior.

My wife could not wait for the alpine white with the backup sensor assistance, because that is one of the "must have" option. With that it has the terracotta/black interior, which is nice and rare to own. Already, I noticed that I am only getting 17mpg. This is a sad number, and I have been really light on the pedal.

The mileage will go up after about 1000 miles-- Do you know that the CD player will play MP3's...I have a portable MP3 player and it sits at home--I made a couple of MP3 cd's and have about 370 songs between them and no fussing with buttons on a wired mp3 player. You will love the xenon lights and the heated seats. I like the PDC when it works which lately is seldom--gotta have the dealer look at it at the 15k serv interval along with the auto-headlights that come on during a sunny day. when it breaks in the mileage and performance will all go up--its amazing how quick this vehicle is.:)

cintroncar
01-21-2008, 09:38 AM
Well, my wife and I went and purchased the 08 X3 today. It is Titanium Silver with Premium package, front heated seats, privacy glass, DSP radio, xenon. And of course, black interior. Thanks!

Congratulations on your 2008 X3. Would you like to post some pictures?

orangedrink
01-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Congrats! just got mine too. My fist BMW. Loving every minute driving it.

Eric in SD
01-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Congratulations! All the best options and good color combo. The heated seats are great this time of year.

On the iPod adapter, isn't there an RCA input plug that you can use to play the iPod through the sound system? Or are you looking for a more integrated deal with steering wheel control and playlist display?

HT417
01-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Congrats to you both! :thumbup:

I've got a little over 1000 miles on mine now and mileage seems to be improving. Keeping the needle on the south side of 3000 rpm helps a lot.

dspeed
01-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Just picked mine up Saturday. Nice vehicle. Mileage degrades past 4k rpm. But it handles moderately bad roads well.

murmur11
01-21-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't believe it until I see some pictures..!! :p :)

AzNMpower32
01-21-2008, 06:41 PM
PICS OR BAN!!! :rofl: (jk of course)

Congrats on the new ride, and don't worry too much about the PDC; the car's easy to park. With short overhangs and good visibility, there's little to worry.

As for the 17 miles to the gallon, that's on par. You'll start to see a decrease in fuel consumption after the first few thou miles. Past 10k, you should notice a fairly significant (+1-2 mpg average) change.

stickyrice
01-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks alot guys. I am keeping my finger cross for any defects at this point. If it does, I would not hesitate to going back to JDM. My hondas and acuras have never let me down :)

The backup sensor that I mentioned was mainly for my wife.

sammyg007
01-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Congrats on your new X3! You two must be really excited... I'm sure it won't let you down!

Andrewinla
01-21-2008, 11:15 PM
We bought our X3 with 11K miles and it gets about 20-23 MPG.
Not sure how it is new.

I have Z4 coupe and it got 16MPG at first now at 4K miles its getting 19 easily.

PDC is annoying most of the time for me. now, I learned the size of the car.

The tobacco interior is very nice!
We waited to find a unique color and had to go with the demo since we didn't find new ones with unique colors. Between me and my wife we are silver and whited out!
My Z4 is white but interior is at least red.

UncleJ
01-22-2008, 08:11 AM
Stick, congrats on the new car! With black interior you might want to consider grey mats for floor and back area. The contrast helps you find things that drop on the floor at night. The back mat IMHO is really needed to keep things off the "mouse fur" in your back cargo area when you are hauling necessities like potting soil! It also has a lip in case a spill occurs. Your milage will increase as you drive. I noticed a jump around 10K and have read similar posts here. Enjoy the ride!

stickyrice
01-26-2008, 09:39 PM
I am sadly to say that there is a problem with the car. The CD player is not working as it should. Whether new or used CDs, I am getting noise and music as an output. Damn!!! I thought they have QC for this kinda thing. Anyway, I really hate taking a new car into the dealer. And I don't think that it wouldn't be the last!

HT417
01-26-2008, 11:35 PM
stick - sorry to hear you're already having problems but I think the radio is one of the more common complaints. I, too, expected more from BMW but I've since come to accept that there are two things BMW doesn't do well, QC and update manuals.

This is however, a good opportunity to find out how good the service section is where you're planning to service your car. Even though mine had problems on delivery the experience gave me a lot of confidence in the people I'll be dealing with in the future.

UncleJ
01-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Stick, Amen to HT's post. Radios are a quick swap out item so before you take it in be sure the dealer has the right one on hand to replace it with, that way you won't have to make two trips. My wife's Audi had the same problem, they swapped it out while we waited drinking their free coffee. Took less than an hour and has worked perfectly ever since. I know Audi's are not BMW's but they are not all that different in the radio department. Just be sure to get the new security code! Good luck.

Brandon01
01-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Congrats on the new car!

We had the radio go out about 2 months after getting ours back from European Delivery last year. It was a simple fix in our case - one of the connectors to the radio had come lose. Dropped of the car at the dealership for them to diagnose, went to get some lunch, barely had started eating when they called to say it was fixed. Been 7 months since then with no more problems.

I second HT's comment that this is a good opportunity to try out the service at the dealer you purchased from.

stickyrice
01-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks guys! Those are very optimistic views. I would have to wait and see how their service is. Is there any lowering packages for the X3? As I had searched, but nothing comes up.

Ishniknork
01-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks guys! Those are very optimistic views. I would have to wait and see how their service is. Is there any lowering packages for the X3? As I had searched, but nothing comes up.
Eibach and H&R both have lowering springs for the X3. IMO it looks good lowered.

Congrats on the new ride! :thumbup: