PDA

View Full Version : How many birth defects was yours born with?

HT417
01-21-2008, 12:52 PM
I might be going for the record here. This is a very abridged version of my experience since delivery. Those of you that are lurking and gathering info on a possible future purchase should NOT take my experience as typical for a BMW. I'm sure if it was, nobody would be buying. Besides, you can also read here the long term satisfaction that many owners are experiencing. I hope I get to that point one of these days. I share this so maybe you can get a chuckle out of my bad luck and I can hear some other less than perfect BMW experiences. Right now I'm still in shock but I've cycled through all known human emotions in the past month. I've never owned a car like this.

18 Dec 07 - took delivery. The passenger mirror tilts down in Reverse but won't come back up in Drive. A violently shaking steering wheel and vehicle accompanied by a sharp air pulsation similar to wind buffeting greets me at 45mph. The key unlocking procedure programming is dorked up by the dealership. With less than 300 miles on the odometer the replacement of the left motor mount solves most of the vibration. The programming gets fixed and the mirror motor replaced two visits later.

14 Jan 08 - it goes back in because I've found an oil leak. They replace the front transmission. That's the gearbox that bolts to the left side of the motor and transfers the power to the front wheels. Around this time I notice a turbine like whine that seems to be coming from the vicinity of the rear differential. During a test ride with a Service Advisor last Saturday, the 19th, he hears it too and gives me an appointment for today. No word yet on what if anything they found. None of the demos I drove made this sound nor does the 2005 X3 loaner I'm driving now. It's an extremely annoying noise that you can only cover up with the stereo or the wind noise above 60mph. I now have a little over 1050 miles on the odo and BMW has had it for a total of 10 days since delivery. The service so far has been fantastic and I've gained a lot of confidence in the place I'll be going for regular service. This is my first BMW so I was apprehensive about the service centers since not everyone here on the forum is happy with theirs. Since most of the defects have been some where in the drivetrain, I've got big concerns about long term reliability.

I emailed out a 4 page summary of my ownership experience to my salesman's boss this morning. He will apparently contact BMW and we'll see what happens from there.

I've formed opinions about my X3 and my choice of options and I'll post them in another thread.

Is anybody's experience worse than this?

BTW, if anyone doubts me, I can provide the paperwork.
:beerchug:

01-21-2008, 01:05 PM
Buying any model in the first an second year of production is a no no

HT417
01-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Buying any model in the first an second year of production is a no no

Ahem... this is its 5th year of production.

Rebound X3
01-21-2008, 02:32 PM
'05 Model.

No defects. First trip to the service department was at 15k for scheduled service.

wjw002
01-21-2008, 02:40 PM
'05 Model.

No defects. First trip to the service department was at 15k for scheduled service.Same here.

01-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I didn't see you were in Germany

my bad

MMME30W
01-21-2008, 04:54 PM
07 X3, no issues. 10,500 miles.

kringer2
01-21-2008, 04:55 PM
07 with 10k on the clock. No problems yet. It even shifts good.

X3 Skier
01-21-2008, 05:38 PM
36000 miles on my 05 and one major problem where they replaced the instrument cluster.

Other than that, no other problems.

Cheers

Andrew*Debbie
01-21-2008, 05:42 PM
2007 X3. July 2007 build date. Late September 2007 Munich delivery. About 2,500 miles now.

2 minor defects:

The Park Distance Control acted up in Germany, but has been fine since redelivery. It is possible someone repaired it before redelivery.

The cover on the diagnostic port in drivers foot well doesn't stay shut.

We haven't taken the car in for repair, as the PDC is working fine now and the other thing is just to minor to care about. Overall our X3 has been reliable and great to drive.

lao270 -- The e83 X3 has been in the US market since 2004. '07 was a face lift.

murmur11
01-21-2008, 06:27 PM
08 X3 760 miles in Europe.. 870 miles after redelivery..
no defects.. runs and shifts very well as expected..

AzNMpower32
01-21-2008, 07:22 PM
Our '04 X3, with 56k miles and producted 2/04.

1. Belt tensioner: made a diesel-like clattering in the morning on cold starts. It was replaced under warranty, the sound came back for a little while, but it never does it anymore. This is even despite the fact that it's parked outside in freezing weather since last Nov.

2. Left motor mount: the steering would kick back and there'd be a clunking noise when I turned left and accelerated hard. Replaced at 45k under warranty.

jdeday
01-21-2008, 09:37 PM
2005 3.0
35,000 miles

Replaced passenger side seat pad airbag sensor. Only problem about 4 months after delivery.

HT417
01-22-2008, 05:47 AM
It's good to hear all the positive experiences. I'm starting to feel a little hope for the future.

They confirmed today that my rear differential is also bad and they have to replace it, too. I wonder if this is finally it.

I was surprised to hear from my Service Advisor that motor mount failure is not that uncommon. He also said he's never seen the front diff go bad and it's very uncommon for the rear diff to go with so few miles.

The boss replied to my email yesterday and said he forwarded it to his contact in Munich yesterday. So I'll see what their comments are. He expressed his disappointment in my situation and assured me this is an exception to an exception. He also gave me his personal cell number in case I need it.

When I get it back this time I'm thinking I'll just take it straight to an exorcist. :rofl:

Havelcek
01-22-2008, 06:58 AM
You should get a new car...what I'm reading in your posts is utterly ridiculous.

papawapa
01-22-2008, 07:12 AM
Have an '08 with no problems and had an '04 (first year) with no problems.

vern
01-22-2008, 07:41 AM
One little rub on the Nav door that prevented it from opening or closing sometimes. 5 minute fix. 17,800 miles and no other problems if you can call the Nav door a problem.
cheers
vern

UncleJ
01-22-2008, 08:50 AM
'06 with 27K and no problems with the build at all.

sfca-325i
01-22-2008, 09:40 AM
2004 X3 3.0 with approximately 24,000 miles.

Replaced accelerator pedal
Replaced passenger mirror motor twice
Replaced ignition coils
Replaced passenger window regulator
Replaced sunroof cassette twice (has leaked three times so far).
Replaced passenger air bag sensor (replace entire seat mat)
Replaced steering gear (servotronic steering)
Replaced e-brake sensor, which caused rear brakes to wear prematurely.
Replaced door seals (twice) and still have the creaking.

It would appear that our experience has been at the opposite extreme from many of the other posts.

X3 Skier
01-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Ooops, forgot the creaking door seals. :angel:

Cheers

dug01
01-22-2008, 02:14 PM
15000 miles, 2007 delivered in December 2006
Auto trans went into 'limp mode"-(very scary)--dealer reprogrammed
Trans is starting to get "clunky" again
PDC goes off anytime when put in reverse--nothing behind vehicle
Auto headlights go on sometimes during daylight.
nav screen went blank--reloaded DVD twice to correct.
TPM went off twice--all tires were OK.
Sirius radio frequent dropouts--Sirius did a reset--still drops out. Says its vehicle.
"talky face" button no longer answers bluetooth phone.

If they get the trans/engine computer properly programmed I will be very happy with the vehicle--the other stuff is minor. Still fun to drive.

Mystic1
01-22-2008, 04:39 PM
'05 with 32K and the only issue was the driver's front wheel bearing needing replacement. So far, so good.

CaliCop
01-22-2008, 04:42 PM
'07 X3 with about 3000 miles:

1. Second key not working, was replaced.

2. Aux. plug not working, they weren't able to fix it last time because no one had a aux wire and ipod. Will be fixed.

3. Ashtray cover doesn't stay closed, they ordered a new unit.

AzNMpower32
01-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Auto headlights go on sometimes during daylight.

This is likely normal function. The light sensor measures ambient light and the angle of sunlight. During the winter times, headlamps tend to come on well before dusk, and in the northern latitudes, will stay on all day, due to the sun's lower angle.

If you drive behind tall trees or building, you will realize what I mean during the winter. Heck when we drove to upstate NY this past weekend, I manually turned on the low beams all day in the Adirondacks.

Schmebi
01-23-2008, 12:58 PM
'05 29,000 miles:

-replaced clutch at 5,000 (not bad driving just bad clutch)
-replaced starter
-replaced belts
-replaced passenger side air bag sensor
-replacing sunroof finally! (should have been done at day one but miraculously couldn't get anyone to hear the problem, go figure.)

all in all, still very happy with car and am considering getting another. :)

judybe83
01-23-2008, 01:54 PM
04 X3 build date 12/03

Gurggle from Pano____________________installed 1 way valves_SIB
Radio would not eject CD after ICE install_install new redio______Warranty
Recalled coils ( most BMW's)____________Replaced coils_______Recall
Bridgestone tires______________________Replaced with_______Yokohama's Owner
SQUAKing door/window seals____________Fixed______________after 3 or 4 S I B's

Anyone interested in seeing my list of problems with our Cateria, S10 Blazer, GTO :tsk:

ab

BMW.Nick
01-23-2008, 05:49 PM
06 X3, 30k miles, not a problem

Rock'n R
01-23-2008, 06:20 PM
04 X3 3.0 56,000 miles.

I guess I'm living right or was born under the right sign but this baby has been perfect for all 56,000 fun miles. Not a single problem. My wifes 04 325 xi has 42,000 miles on it and it has been a joy to own except for the sunroof rails, but that was a quick warranty fix. We are the original owners of both of these fine autos. Love BMWs. ( I hope I didn't just jinx myself....knock on wood) haha.

judybe83
01-24-2008, 09:48 AM
04 X3 3.0 56,000 miles.

I guess I'm living right or was born under the right sign but this baby has been perfect for all 56,000 fun miles. Not a single problem. My wifes 04 325 xi has 42,000 miles on it and it has been a joy to own except for the sunroof rails, but that was a quick warranty fix. We are the original owners of both of these fine autos. Love BMWs. ( I hope I didn't just jinx myself....knock on wood) haha.

You might want to take both of them in for the coil replacement/recall.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119755&highlight=coil

ab

skitime
01-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Started with a 2005, replaced the passenger airbag sensor @ 12,500 miles. Traded for a 2006, just the gas cap light stays on for about 20 miles after a fill up, will get that fixed at the next service. No big problems, it just keeps driving better!

HT417
01-27-2008, 02:46 AM
You should get a new car...what I'm reading in your posts is utterly ridiculous.

That thought crossed my mind many times. But even if it happened I'd probably be holding my breath all the time wondering what's going to break first on the next one. It's a situation kind of like the devil you know vs. the one you don't. Maybe it's better to stick with what I have - at least I know the parts are new and it makes for one heck of a BMW story. :D.

HT417
01-27-2008, 02:50 AM
It would appear that our experience has been at the opposite extreme from many of the other posts.

Yes, unfortunately. I guess it can only get better from here, right?

How do you like the Servotronic? I got it too.

What symptoms were you getting when it started failing?

edgar620
01-27-2008, 03:27 AM
I would ask for a new car if I got a new car with that many things broken.

sfca-325i
01-27-2008, 01:56 PM
Yes, unfortunately. I guess it can only get better from here, right?

How do you like the Servotronic? I got it too.

What symptoms were you getting when it started failing?

My wife really likes the servotronic. Prior to the X3, we had a 2003 325i. She loved everything about the car EXCEPT for the heavy steering. I didn't like the lack of rear seat legroom, as my son was constantly kicking the back of my seat and he was/is still growing.

The X3 with servotronic was perfect for my wife and the rear seating seemed to have much more legroom.

The symptom we experienced with the servotronic rack was a noise when the steering wheel was turned. If you drag your finger nail quickly on a pair of jeans (for example) and create a scratching sound ... well, that was the noise we began to hear as the steering wheel was rotated, for left and right turns. All fixed under warranty but the warranty is up come April 2008.

HT417
02-01-2008, 01:44 AM
My wife really likes the servotronic. Prior to the X3, we had a 2003 325i. She loved everything about the car EXCEPT for the heavy steering. I didn't like the lack of rear seat legroom, as my son was constantly kicking the back of my seat and he was/is still growing.

The X3 with servotronic was perfect for my wife and the rear seating seemed to have much more legroom.

The symptom we experienced with the servotronic rack was a noise when the steering wheel was turned. If you drag your finger nail quickly on a pair of jeans (for example) and create a scratching sound ... well, that was the noise we began to hear as the steering wheel was rotated, for left and right turns. All fixed under warranty but the warranty is up come April 2008.

Thanks for the feedback!

The Servotronic felt weird at first but I'm starting to like it more and more. I don't always like the lightness at slower speeds but when it firms up I can reduce my focus on direction control a little and focus more on the suspension quirks... especially at speeds over 100mph that we can commonly travel here on the Autobahn.

:beerchug:

Evlengr
02-01-2008, 07:06 AM
I have the servotronic and at 110 mph it seemed as good as one of my older Porsches.

No the missus and little one were not in the car, it was a closed circuit, and yes contrary to some peoples impressions with my ability I used to race. I digress however.

The servotronic is one of the better features on the X3 imo. Allows me to drive how I like and (did) allow my wife to drive the way she liked.

HT417
02-03-2008, 12:38 AM
I have the servotronic and at 110 mph it seemed as good as one of my older Porsches.

Must have been the oldest one. :D

The servotronic is one of the better features on the X3 imo.

+1 It'll be one of the first option boxes I check when I reorder. :thumbup:

Evlengr
02-03-2008, 01:03 AM
Yup older, 1988. It was one of my favorites though 924 S class.

No fancy computers to run half of the "innards".

Although even back then I had to have a killer sound system, Lol.

Majority of the time I worked on it myself.

The servotronic offers the tight control without the headaches.

At hi speeds the steering is tight and 2 and 10 works great.

At low speeds you can whip the wheel like you have a suicide handle on it.

HT417
02-03-2008, 01:29 PM
Back in those days I used to drool when I saw the 944 S. We still have a couple of 924s in the neighborhood although they're probably having a hard time getting parts by now.

HT417
02-03-2008, 01:59 PM
I got a call yesterday from my salesman. They're going to buy back my X3 and let me buy something else. :roundel:.

I was completely blown away. They were very disappointed with all of the problems I'd had and fought hard for me to get it taken back. Although I knew they wanted to make BMW aware of my case and get the list of problems on record, I had no idea they were working to get it bought back. My hat's off to them, they really took care of me.

Now that I have a second chance, I don't think I'd do it exactly the same again. If I buy another X3 I'm definitely getting the Sport Package this time around, or at a minimum do some suspension tweaking, and I'm going to seriously consider tobacco instead of black leather. Other than that, I've been very happy with my choices.

On the other hand, moving up to a similarly equipped but non-sport X5 is only ~$4000 more. I drove one yesterday and it rides and handles nice but it's big, heavy, thirsty and a little slower. They also don't offer rear seat airbags. I don't understand that.

A 528xi is even more expensive.

As you can probably tell, AWD is one of my priorities.

I've got to make my decision soon because they're ready to take the car back.

bemedobleufan
02-03-2008, 02:28 PM
HUMM!! ..I'm with you friday 31st of jan took possesion of a 2008X5.3.0 and the whole computer system shut down as I as was drving out the dealers parking lot today is sunday and my car is back in the dealers parking lot WATING for the service dept on monday.. mornig.. DAAAM by the way payed cash for it, the most EXPENSIVE ride of my life 54thou dls for 40 min of fun.,...

AzNMpower32
02-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Based on your listed location, is this BMW AG that's willing to buy your car back? Wow that's a sweet deal. Now if you get another, you can get a 2nd chance at the options :p

I like terracotta leather more than terra, but that's off-topic.

Evlengr
02-03-2008, 03:02 PM
You won't believe this.

Today while vacumning out the vehicle I noticed the whole back passenger floor area was soaked. This is the second time I have found this. The first I thought my little girl had let the window down a crack.

We recently had a lot of rain, but it was in the dealers care getting updates so I couldn't have done it.

And to top it off the stiching is coming apart on the head rest (more salt).

I sent an e mail to the dealer to take it back this week.

One major problem fixed, and now this thing has an inch of water in the back.

I am having the worst luck with this car. It's jinxed.

spineseller
02-04-2008, 08:17 PM
'04 2.5 94k miles and my only problem is that f-ing sunroof. other than that my x3 is fantastic

Evlengr
02-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Beginning to realize that Azn may have been right all along with swapping dealers.

Passport BMW is not being completely honest in my opinion as an e mail that was intended for the Service Manager was mistakenly sent to me.

I name the dealer now only for the reason that I have been holding BMWNA fully at fault up until I saw this e mail and have been giving them credit for something they didn't deserve. Good customer service.

dashiell
02-05-2008, 03:45 AM
Evl, Two questions; 1. What did the e-mail say? 2. How is the AT after the latest reprogramming?

Evlengr
02-05-2008, 07:01 AM
Can't print it until I decide how things will proceed from here. I mentioned it since it makes me question if I was "barking" up the wrong tree this whole time.

And nope still has the right hand up hill - turn snap and jerk effect. As well as rolling stop lag.

Going to try to get this resolved from a different angle so I'll try my durndest to reserve my AT comments for the AT threads.

My latest concern is now that it is wet in the back passenger floor after heavy rains.

HT417
02-08-2008, 03:55 AM
My latest concern is now that it is wet in the back passenger floor after heavy rains.

You've really had some bad luck.

I hope BMW takes care of you in regards to the new leak and the damaged leather.

Bigtoysinc69
02-10-2008, 10:46 PM
2004 X3 28,000 miles love that i can go over medians!!! and some off roading. my sun roof rattles but i found an easy fix. performs great in snow and the down hill descent button actually works and is helpful some times.

jamesbirkholz
02-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Your experience sounds a bit off from the norm. Briefly, mine:

1. Rear cargo hatch cover rattled like mad. They finally replaced = fixed. No biggie but cheap craftsmanship.

2. Radio DIED at 11K. Was a Bluetooth issue that resolved spontaneously.

3. Engine ping @ 11K. Worse after warm-up. Was evaluated by dealer and found to have "insufficient oil free air to the oil HVAC" or something like that. The recommended service was performed, which was to purge the oil of air. Apparently this ping is being seen in '07 E83s that are in short-distance commute service.

Ping not resolved. Re-evaluated by dealer. BMW recommended replacement of entire cylinder head. This was done and it purrs like a kitten now. No ping, no rough idle. Not sure on the details, but thinking lifter issue likely.

Could be worse!

dominoaz
02-23-2008, 12:46 AM
'06 X3. Not one problem to date.

erikbmw1
02-23-2008, 05:44 PM
'06 with no issues or problems so far. It was picked up in South Carolina (08/'06) when I took Performance Center Delivery. (Recommended way to get yours if you donít do the Euro deliver and have the time... it was a blast!) It has 14.5k and nearly ready to get its first service. Looking forward to many years of service. :thumbup:

bimmerjim
02-24-2008, 09:46 PM
I purchased a 2007 X3 on December 15, 2006. I've had no problems at all. I've taken it to the dealer only once for an oil change. The fit and finish of the vehicle are flawless--the best of any vehicle I've owned.

lynn2007
03-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Picked up my 2007 X3 in August. Knock wood, no major issues. The passenger mirror on a few occasions, did not tilt downward when vehicle was in reverse. Only happened a few times and then it ceased. I thought the novelty of owning a Bimmer would wear off after a while, have to say I still LOVE this vehicle every time I climb into it and am very happy with it. I also enjoy the servotronic too (glad I opted for it) as my friend has a Bimmer without it and I don't like the way it feels.

David1
03-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Got mine in March 07. Brake parts are so rusty that they look like they came off a car that's 10 years old and I only have 15k miles on the car. Steering wheel cover is peeling, sunroof is rattling when closed, both rear doors creak, Bluetooth keeps locking up and I have to reset the TCU and re-pair my phones and the auto trans shifts like **** even with software updates. About 4 months ago had to limp it to the dealer since trans went into a limp mode. No problem found, but the dealer said the car was low on coolant and trans fluid, but no leaks causing the limp. I'm stumped on that one. It also has a gear whine they say is normal. I have heard it on others, but mine is a lot louder. 8 months to go and it's gone. Needless to say when it goes in for it's first oil change/service it will be there for a while.

sfca-325i
03-07-2008, 12:05 PM
2004 X3 3.0 with approximately 24,000 miles.

Replaced accelerator pedal
Replaced passenger mirror motor twice
Replaced ignition coils
Replaced passenger window regulator
Replaced sunroof cassette twice (has leaked three times so far).
Replaced passenger air bag sensor (replace entire seat mat)
Replaced steering gear (servotronic steering)
Replaced e-brake sensor, which caused rear brakes to wear prematurely.
Replaced door seals (twice) and still have the creaking.

Just thought I'd update this post. The SAV is scheduled to go back into service next Tuesday. The airbag light related to the passenger air bag sensor is lit once again. :bawling:

Mike99PA
03-25-2008, 09:57 PM
I Am having terrible leaking problems with my 2004 X3 - Seems each window seal and vapor barrier has been replaced over a year period. With all that water on the floor don't you think BMW would do something to fix the leak permanently?