PDA

View Full Version : Immediate bad transmission recognition?

dashiell
01-22-2008, 04:10 AM
More questions for you poor souls(again, I've been there['91 GLI]) with transmission problems. If I order the X3, and I know what to look for on a test drive, would it most likely occur in that short a timeframe? If so, could I then refuse to take delivery if I had special ordered it? And would a California stop with hard acceleration be the best test?

kjboyd
01-22-2008, 08:12 AM
it took mine three months to show up.

dug01
01-22-2008, 08:59 AM
More questions for you poor souls(again, I've been there['91 GLI]) with transmission problems. If I order the X3, and I know what to look for on a test drive, would it most likely occur in that short a timeframe? If so, could I then refuse to take delivery if I had special ordered it? And would a California stop with hard acceleration be the best test?
Took a while 4000 Miles until it really got annoying...Try this, in drive slow down to about 10mph then accelerate a little quicker than normal and note the down shift--it should quickly downshift to the proper gear and go---if it hesitates or drops down one gear--then a second or two later drops down another gear then its not right. Also note the upshifts during regular driving--are they smooth--no bumps--no hang-ups?? Do you feel bumpy downshifts while slowing down?? Now, with all that said--a new vehicle or one that had been test driven by multiple drivers may not perform like a vehicle that you alone drove for hundreds of miles because of the adaptive transmission computer--most of us that have balky transmissions never noticed it on the test drive. If BMW got the programming straightened out on the latest '08's then this is probably going to be one of the best vehicles you ever drove. good luck:thumbup: