PDA

View Full Version : Garage door opener (switch) - X3

airboss1998
01-22-2008, 03:59 PM
Okay, so I'm a bit anal (okay, a lot) and don't like the garage-door opener hanging on visor of my 2006 X3 (unfortunately, I bought it used and it doesn't have the UGDO built-in). I have been looking for a SPDT switch that I could install in the overhead console, to the right of the sunroof switch and passenger airbag indicator (empty plate now).

http://www.stombaugh.com/SES_0045.JPG

I have considered getting another sunroof switch, which would snap in the empty slot, but the 61-31-6-907-288 switch is $37.28, plus shipping (I'm assuming I can find two contacts that would allow me to wire my garage door opener).

So, anybody know where I can find a wrecked X3 and get one of these switches? Or, what about buying a used mirror on Ebay, which includes the UGDO? Is the opener 'guts' in the mirror, or just the buttons, hooked to some other part I would need? Some for sale have the dimming mirror function. Is that also built into the mirror, or are we approaching modification overload here? :cry:

judybe83
01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
The UGDO is self contained and a very easy DIY, twist off the old mirror unplug, plug in twist on new mirror.

Or have you thought about a trip to your favorite hardware store for one of those small programmable openers? They're made to fit on your key chain, but I use velcro on my motorcycle.

ab

x3ronnie
01-22-2008, 04:35 PM
You need to determine if the car is pre-wired for the garage door opener. The ugdo mirror is plug and play, but a little steep on the price. Without the pre-wiring, it becomes a big issue. I believe that pre-wiring in included with the premium package.