PDA

View Full Version : '08 Ipod connect

dashiell
01-24-2008, 03:21 AM
So while I'm waiting 4 weeks for my X3 to arrive, I was wondering about the Ipod connection. I asked to have it on the car when it arrives, but apparently it's a dealer installed option. Will I be able to use steering wheel controls? Is BMW the only/best way to go? And on BMW.com it is listed as $149, but it says price may be different, and there may be labor costs. Who has this setup, and do you like it?

dashiell
01-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Come on, somebody has to have the '07/08 BMW Ipod??

Andrew*Debbie
01-24-2008, 12:56 PM
You could try searching instead of posting twice.

It is Dealer Installed and they will charge labor. It can be done at Home, but you have to pull the radio and few other things out to install it.

Yes, you will be able to use the steering wheel controls.
There are other options besides BMW. DICE is the best known.

'07s and '08s come with an Aux in jack standard. I just use that and set a play list going before I start driving. Works great.

born2bugu
01-24-2008, 12:59 PM
My 2007 335i had the option to ahve the iPod adapter installed at the factory. As a result it sits in my armrest. On the 335i, if you didnt have it factory installed, then they had a part that the dealer could install; however, it was slightly different and goes through the glovebox. Im not sure if the X3 is the same way. No matter what you get, yes you can use the steering wheel controls. If it is the dealer installed part, the difference is that it uses the CD changer menu to control your iPod. For example, CD1 is genre, CD2 is artist, CD3 is playlists etc....

Andrew*Debbie
01-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Im not sure if the X3 is the same way.

The X3 is different. No 6FL option, like you can get on the 3 series.

hunterz4
01-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Mine was a factory install and is listed on the sticker. Located in the armrest and charges the pod while it is plugged in and the car is on. Can use steering wheel controls. Since I have an X5 it is controlled by Idrive unit. My only complaint is that it always go back to the beginning of a menu so in artists for example if you scroll to the middle of your artist listing and want to go to another artist you have to start at the beginning each time. Playlists are the way to go. I had the aux plug in my 07 X3 and my only issue with it were its location on the back of the center console and the fact that you had to crank up the volume. Either way though a great addition to music enjoyment in the Xs.

BTW Wing - I have done searches on ipod and really did not find much although my search skill are not always the best.

dashiell
01-25-2008, 03:13 AM
A little snide Andrew*Debbie(is this 2 people, or an odd choice of middle names? ;>). I did search, and I couldn't find anything specifically answering my main question. That may be my own lack of ability I will concede. I do thank you for your input. What I was really looking for was personal experience with the BMW install (Thanks Hunter and Born). Not having Idrive, I'm certain the functionality on the X3 is a little different.

Andrew*Debbie
01-25-2008, 07:34 AM
A little snide Andrew*Debbie(

Sorry, I'm in a really terrible mood for reasons that have nothing to do with you or bimmerfest. Most of the people with '07s and '08s are using the Aux jack. Anyone doing their own install is more likely to have installed a DICE unit, so you aren't going to get too many answers in a few hours.

Debbie is my wife. We share this account although I write nearly all the posts.

I don't know why others are having so much trouble. I searched bimmerfest with "iPod" and found many many threads.

Here is an X3 one... The CD changer connector for a non-nav X3 is under the center armrest.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253517&highlight=iPod

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254235

There is also a DICE unit that includes a HD radio reciever. It is discussed in this thread:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203166

dashiell
01-28-2008, 04:13 AM
Some interesting info in these threads, but I have yet to hear from anyone that has the dealer installed Ipod connection that is listed on bmwusa.com. How much was the install? Do you like the functionality of the steering wheel controls? It seems like this would be my first choice, as opposed to Dice etc. Ideally, I'd like someone with personal experience to chime in. Thanks

Mystic1
01-28-2008, 10:57 AM
When I was at the dealer this past weekend, they listed an iPod wiring kit utilizing the radio controls installed for right around $300. Not exactly sure which part they were referring to, but it should give you somewhat of an idea. No personal experience here, but answers part of your question.

DwightEvans
02-21-2008, 10:43 PM
Just drove home a 2008 X3. I asked the dealer to install an Ipod interface as part of the "deal" which he promptly added to the price--but it was only $250 or so, which should have made me suspicious. So we hooked up the iPod and it only works on CD 6 and displays only track numbers, no artist, title, etc. To me, this sounded familiar, so I looked up the first generation adapters and found you had to make playlists titled BMW1, BMW2, etc., which I did and now instead of "No Magazine", Tracks 1 and 2 are the playlists I made, but still no titles, artist, just track numbers.

I installed an adapter from EAS ($299) in my 328i and it shows everything as it should. I don't know if the dealer installed an earlier model or what. I like the sales and service people, but don't be surprised if they don't have a clue what an adapter should do--although I am in the sticks in Northern California. The tech speculated it was a limitation of the "less sophisticated electronics" of the X3, but I doubt it--although I am not sure what the issue is. I suspect they installed a first generation adapter they had sitting around and didn't know any better.

By the way, I installed the 328i adapter myself--not too hard after taking it apart 3 or 4 times because BMW's instructions are wrong on hooking up one of the optic cables (verified by the dealer also) and it cost $102 to have the dealer retro program it to work.

Hope this helps--oh, I do not have iDrive. Don't know what the story would be with that.

STE92VE
02-22-2008, 05:29 AM
Is BMW the only/best way to go?

If you have any mechanical ability (able to use a screw driver), I suggest you consider this option. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228113

Use this link to view PDF: http://msbcreations.com/stuff/Dice_Installation_Manual.pdf

The manual was done very well with photos and seems relatively straightforward.

hot_croc
02-22-2008, 08:22 AM
If you have any mechanical ability (able to use a screw driver), I suggest you consider this option. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228113

Use this link to view PDF: http://msbcreations.com/stuff/Dice_Installation_Manual.pdf

The manual was done very well with photos and seems relatively straightforward.
I'll be installing the Dice Adapter when our X3 arrives - it's already in our pile of mods. I read the instructions above and they seem very straight-forward with good pictures - installation should be a breeze!

PaddysPub
02-22-2008, 09:29 AM
I just recently (Wednesday) had the iPod jack installed at my local BMW service center. I have a 2006 X3 (NO NAV). The dealer install is through the glove box. I was not too familiar with how it would work. Now that I have had it installed here are my observations/review:

1. Sounds great (which I believe is the ultimate goal)
2. A tidge inconvenient being in the glove box
3. A LOT inconvenient due to the fact that you have to go to the playlist you want prior to connecting the iPod to the jack because once you do a little BMW icon appears on the screen of the iPod and you can no longer use the iPod track wheel. You can only use the controls on the steering wheel or the radio itself to scroll through the songs on the playlist.
4. Now that I have had this installed whenever I turn the car off the radio stays ON and I have to manually turn the radio off (and then back on once I am back in the car)

These are just a few observations. Overall I am happy to finally be able to enjoy my iPod in my X3. While it is a little annoying for the above mentioned reasons it is certainly not the end of the world by any means.

Coffeeman
02-22-2008, 10:16 AM
I installed the DICE unit in my '08. Works o.k...artist name & song title scroll across the top of the NAV screen. No real control of play lists, etc. Not a bad solution, but mine does not get along well with the NAV or Bluetooth.

PaddysPub
02-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to answer your inquiry regarding price. Dealer install was right around $300. (Parts and labor)

eldorado01
03-09-2008, 03:53 PM
I want to buy the DICE kit since the dealer said they can't install the BMW factory kit because my '04 X3 came wit the Sirius factory unit. The DICE guys that responded to my inquiry did seem a little confused. They send me a link to an M3, not an X3 kit. I also told them I wanted a console kit and their link took me to a trunk kit page. Also, no mention was made of any necessary adaptors to share the AUX input with the Sirius box.
Also. I really like the idea of putting the Ipod inside the armrest tray that I saw in this thread. Is that a DICE kit or someone else's. If so, who sells it?

And last, since I'm not mechanically inclined, can anybody recommend a good installer in Maryland?

tom @ eas
03-10-2008, 11:14 AM
I want to buy the DICE kit since the dealer said they can't install the BMW factory kit because my '04 X3 came wit the Sirius factory unit. The DICE guys that responded to my inquiry did seem a little confused. They send me a link to an M3, not an X3 kit. I also told them I wanted a console kit and their link took me to a trunk kit page. Also, no mention was made of any necessary adaptors to share the AUX input with the Sirius box.
Also. I really like the idea of putting the Ipod inside the armrest tray that I saw in this thread. Is that a DICE kit or someone else's. If so, who sells it?

And last, since I'm not mechanically inclined, can anybody recommend a good installer in Maryland?

The it is incredibly easy to install yourself - the "trunk interface" kit is correct. The X3 simply has the CD Changer underneath the center armrest than in the trunk like other BMWs.

DICE - SILVERLINE iPod Integration Kit for X3 04-08 (Trunk/Console Interface)
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=1628

Simply pop open the bucket and the CD Changer connectors will be underneath. PLug into the DICE and you're set.

eldorado01
03-11-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm still confused about the DICE module working along the factory Sirius. I believe there is only one AUX input on the BMW head unit, and it's already taken by the Sirius box. Don't I need some sort of splitter or switch box to have both working in my X3?

tom @ eas
03-11-2008, 07:04 PM
I'm still confused about the DICE module working along the factory Sirius. I believe there is only one AUX input on the BMW head unit, and it's already taken by the Sirius box. Don't I need some sort of splitter or switch box to have both working in my X3?

The Sirius unit has a passthrough for the CD Changer (or DICE kit). Each device will be recognized as a separate mode.

PimoX3
03-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Some interesting info in these threads, but I have yet to hear from anyone that has the dealer installed Ipod connection that is listed on bmwusa.com. How much was the install? Do you like the functionality of the steering wheel controls? It seems like this would be my first choice, as opposed to Dice etc. Ideally, I'd like someone with personal experience to chime in. Thanks

Almost no one will have the BMW module installed as it has very limited functionality compared to the DICE unit, and you generally have to pay dealer prices to get it installed.

The two posters describing the unit in a 335 and new X5 are describing a newer unit that is only available on the new models (fiber optic bus vs. what we have in the X3). The X3 module from BMW does not display any song/artist/album information, and is limited to 5 specifically named playlists (plus the ability to play the entire library). Really not worth it compared to the DICE module with all of this functionality, and at a lower price -- unless you are adamant about OEM parts.

eldorado01
03-23-2008, 02:00 PM
I tried my installation today. I spoke with Tom at EAS earlier this week and asked him which cars have the DSP connection. "Very few. They are rare" he said. I went it, I removed the bucket on the console, dug the cables out (I didn't have to remove the console and ashtray, by the way. The cables were tucked right under the metal plate and I pulled them out easily) and unwrapped the bundle. And there it was: was a six pin connector labeled CD SDARS, a three pin connector and a metal coaxial connector. I have been blessed with a DSP connector. I'll get the right kit and try again next weekend. I'll keep everybody posted. See the attached pictures

tom @ eas
03-24-2008, 11:35 AM
I tried my installation today. I spoke with Tom at EAS earlier this week and asked him which cars have the DSP connection. "Very few. They are rare" he said. I went it, I removed the bucket on the console, dug the cables out (I didn't have to remove the console and ashtray, by the way. The cables were tucked right under the metal plate and I pulled them out easily) and unwrapped the bundle. And there it was: was a six pin connector labeled CD SDARS, a three pin connector and a metal coaxial connector. I have been blessed with a DSP connector. I'll get the right kit and try again next weekend. I'll keep everybody posted. See the attached pictures

We spoke on the phone this morning - you'll have a DSP adapter on Wed morning. :thumbup:

statman
03-27-2008, 11:30 AM
hi
i have it fitted in my 05 x3
i have built in sat nav pop up screen type original and the ipod fitted afterwards
heres what to expect
the bmw dealer had to put it in the glove box as lead was not long enough to fit in armrest
if i may suggest get a longer lead it will be worth it
you will loose the 6 cd changer
and need to set up 5 folders in itunes to store the music
no 6 is reserved for all the music on the ipod to play continuously
also i now have an iphone and it still plays the music but the iphone is not compatible
bluetooth version prob

regards
gary

ireland

eldorado01
03-30-2008, 01:30 PM
I did get it installed. A friend with some knowledge of electrical work helped me splice the wire that goes to the cigarette lighter on the rear of the console to power the DSP adaptor. Then we looked for places to install the two boxes, the DICE module and the DSP adaptor. We decided to use the space under the cupholder. Fitted one of the boxes close to the outside (passenger side), the long connector cable in between (one long dumb comment: the cable looked like jamaican dreadlocks. My buddy, who happens to be African-American was laughing about it) and then we placed the DSP adaptor close to the hand brake and replaced the cupholder. We then threaded the connecting cable to the armrest cubby, (major pain in the ass to snake that cable in there) glued the washer in place, plugged in the Ipod, reconnected the battery and tested all connections. It worked!

The sound is very good, CD quality, but it needs to be raised significantly from what I'm used to from the CD or radio levels. The controls are usable but not as smooth to operate as the ipod wheel, but then, what is?

Altogether, I'm very satisfied with the result.

onodon
04-01-2008, 07:02 PM
So while I'm waiting 4 weeks for my X3 to arrive, I was wondering about the Ipod connection. I asked to have it on the car when it arrives, but apparently it's a dealer installed option. Will I be able to use steering wheel controls? Is BMW the only/best way to go? And on BMW.com it is listed as $149, but it says price may be different, and there may be labor costs. Who has this setup, and do you like it?

I purchased the kit and had the dealer install it. It works okay, but you need to rely on play lists, because the only way to search for a specific track is alphabetically. this can become cumbersome when you have 600 plus tracks. Keep in mind that you cannot see track titles on the display, but for the money ($249) it is worth it. I do not know much about the Dice kit,
but if you can find one that actually displays the track titles, it may be worth looking into.
I also found that my Ipod Nano, which I gave to my son in place for a new Ipod Touch was more consistent when searching for tracks alphabetically. Please let me know if you have any questions. By the way, the total cost was $249.

dformica
04-03-2008, 04:50 PM
i just got quoted 450.00 for install of an ipod connection. whow! no thank you.i ordered a dice connection and i'll do that myself.

eldorado01
04-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Do check under the cupholder to install the DICE module. That seemed to be the best spot on my '04.

wheat
04-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Can't wait to install!! My X3 is not pre-wired for Sirius, so I was very happy to find a kit that allows me to have Sirius in my stereo that is able to be controlled through my steering wheel (Thanks EAS, so glad I found you here on the bimmerfest boards!). Looks like I should have what I need by the weekend so I can do this on Saturday. I already found my CD changer cables in the dash, so the rest should be pretty simple from what I've read.

These boards are great!

eldorado01
04-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Couple of things to keep in mind. I installed my Dice kit and DSP adapter two weekends ago.
One of the cables got loose already and I had to go back in to reattach it. I think is a good idea to secure these cables with tape. I did.
Second, I got a defective module and Dice Electronics promised a replacement. So, I'll be digging again inside the console soon to replace the unit. When they are working, they are good. When they are working.

Skottoman
04-09-2008, 05:46 PM
We accidentally ordered the 'Radio' install kit for our 08X3.
Wanted to to the 'Console' install. Install was easy, except we're missing the cable to connect everything up in the console (3pin/6pin plugs). Didn't want to dig the radio out of the dash for the cable that came with the kit we ordered... d'oh!

Hopefully end up getting a new cable from Tom at EAS. to complete our 'Console' install :D
Cheers,
Skottoman

dformica
04-09-2008, 06:04 PM
i just installed a dice ipod hook-up in my x3 today. install was fairly simple. took me about one hour. i can use my wheel controls to navigate. it cost me $150. the dealer wanted $450 for theirs installed.

onodon
04-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Does the Dice kit show album/track titles on the display?

tom @ eas
04-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Does the Dice kit show album/track titles on the display?

Artist, Album and Song info. :)

onodon
04-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info.