PDA

View Full Version : Can I turn off the front passenger airbag?

Bosworthwilliam
01-25-2008, 03:23 AM
I do not have front isofix option but occassionally have an extra child with me who sits on the front seat. In my old A6 I could turn off the airbag with a key in the glove compartment but this doesn't appear possible in an X3 without front isofix. Can it be done, do I need to retro fit something???

Andrew*Debbie
01-25-2008, 05:59 AM
Welcome to the 'fest.

On our US Spec 2007 X3, there is no control to turn off that airbag. It is possible to have the dealer deactivate the passenger airbags.

From the Owner's Manual.

Children always in the rear
Small children and infants should not ride in the front seat.
Children younger than 13 years old or smaller than 5ft/130cm should ride only in the rear seat.

If it should be necessary to use a child restrain system in the front seat, the front and side airbags must be deactivated. Your BMW Center would be happy to advise you.

AzNMpower32
01-25-2008, 06:49 AM
If the weight on the seat is under 100lb, then the airbag will not deploy on the passenger side. The "Pass Airbag Off" lamp should illuminate.

Be Em Double Yu
01-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Aznmpower32 is correct. I have a bag that I use for work that is about 20-25 lbs. and when I place it on the passenger side seat, the "passenger airbag off" lamp lights up.

GottaGo
01-25-2008, 11:35 AM
When I place my Nikon SLRcamera on the passenger seat I get the beeping alarm !
Any way to over- ride this ?

AzNMpower32
01-25-2008, 11:42 AM
When I place my Nikon SLRcamera on the passenger seat I get the beeping alarm !
Any way to over- ride this ?
Just clip the passenger seat belt. I don't think this annoying feature can be shut off. (thankfully, the '04s dont have this :D )