PDA

View Full Version : After market CD changer

cnp55
01-25-2008, 04:01 AM
If I wanted to add an aftermarket CD changer to my 2006 X3 ... should I have the dealer do it or could I get this done at a Circuit City type place? I cannot do it myself -- and wouldn't trust my son or my husband to do it either!

I've never added any aftermarket audio stuff to a car -- but I think I would really enjoy having it on my new X3. I drove my last car for 9 years and for the last two was thinking about upgrading the audio, which did not have a CD player at all.

Or am I hopelessly behind the times and should think about doing the iPod thing?

Andrew*Debbie
01-25-2008, 05:05 AM
You are hoplessly behind the times. :)

I wouldn't ask a dealer to install any aftermarket accessories. You could have them install the BMW branded changer.

Most installers at CC are terrible. To bad you don't live closer to me. I'd be happy to help you out.

The BMW changer goes in the center arm rest. If you have NAV it goes in the left side of the luggage compartment. I wouldn't let CC anywhere near this. They are bound to do it wrong.

It really doesn't look that hard to do. Get the BMW Changer and the installation kit. Pay a dealer to do it right or do it yourself.

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e83/4953951-1.html
http://www.bmwcdchanger.com/x3/cdchanger_x3_installation.html

PimoX3
01-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Or am I hopelessly behind the times and should think about doing the iPod thing?

If you do get an OEM CD changer, make sure you get the latest part# as it will support MP3's and (apparently) will show song information on your radio -- at least for 2006+ models. I have the CD changer with p/n ending in -760, but it does not support MP3's or display the song tag information.

Now, as for being behind the times... by the time you purchase an OEM changer and install kit (bracket and trim pieces for the center console area), you might as well have purchased a brand new iPod and DICE kit -- it will cost you about the same amount. And with the iPod, you also have a portable player and don't have the extra step of having to burn your MP3's to disk to put in the changer.

Just my 2 cents...:thumbup:

AzNMpower32
01-25-2008, 10:24 AM
I like CDs better than mp3 players. I've resisted the iPod fad, and prefer the sound quality of CDs.