PDA

View Full Version : who owns an x3 with a build date after 10/07

sandlakeont
01-26-2008, 08:33 AM
and doesn,t have a transmission problem......my date to make up my mind to buy an x3 is slowly creeping up and i would be overjoyed to hear the trans problem has been solved
after a certain build date..bmw has got to be working on clearing this up and it would be nice to hear someone say "i got mine with a build date of 12/07 etc. and all is ok.....

Lance Alot
01-26-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm currently waiting on redelivery, but I put 600 miles on a December build in Europe and the transmission was great.

kjboyd
01-26-2008, 10:29 AM
they all appear great... at first.

dashiell
01-26-2008, 11:49 AM
Kevin, I hope that's not true. Was yours really fine for some time and then went bad?

kjboyd
01-26-2008, 12:14 PM
yes, it started around 1,000 miles and just got worse.

sandlakeont
01-26-2008, 12:31 PM

i,m really looking at the 2008,s.......... any and all with a build date of 12/07 and later which will be 1/08 etc... i still am 3-4 months away from the move, but i like to be ahead of any action i may take....

Lance Alot
01-26-2008, 12:44 PM

OK.... point noted. But many of them (most I would argue) have no issues at all.

sandlakeont
01-26-2008, 12:52 PM
OK.... point noted. But many of them (most I would argue) have no issues at all.
:):):):)

ardluais
01-26-2008, 01:07 PM
11/07 - 2k miles - no problems

sandlakeont
01-26-2008, 03:17 PM

:):):):):):)

jdeday
01-26-2008, 08:07 PM

He is asking what is the build date of owners vehicles.

fluke52
01-26-2008, 08:21 PM
10/02/07 - 3,740 miles - no transmission problems.

murmur11
01-26-2008, 10:21 PM
08 X3, 10/25/07, 1820 miles - no transmission problems

HT417
01-26-2008, 11:14 PM
2008 X3, build date 12/07, just under 1200 miles and I think the adaption's complete, everything's great up to now. The tranny has three distinct personalities and I like them all. Keep in mind if you test drive that it has a tendency/program that keeps the revs up in Drive until it warms up. You'll definitely notice this in colder climates so give it a chance to fully warm up before you make a decision on how it shifts.

Evlengr
01-26-2008, 11:26 PM
A lot of people thought I was just a whiner until after the break in period the shifting got progressively worse for a lot of folks that had "No problems".

Look through the site many 08's have had the problem right off the lot as well and people have brought them back and said, "No Thanks".

sandlakeont
01-27-2008, 04:34 AM

10/02/07 - 3,740 miles - no transmission problems.

08 X3, 10/25/07, 1820 miles - no transmission problems

:):):):):):):):)

XFOS
01-27-2008, 06:10 AM
1900 Miles, 1100 on ED, no transmission problems at all. no upshift or downship weirdo problems as many on the forum argue. Have you ever driven a Jag X-type ? which was my wife's last car. THOSE are transmission problems, jeeezzzz,what a piece of crap, just 36 months and every single piece of the car was showing signs of a 15 year old car, happy is gone and replaced by X3 making good company to my 335 coupe.

keithsimp
01-27-2008, 09:19 AM
A lot of people thought I was just a whiner until after the break in period the shifting got progressively worse for a lot of folks that had "No problems".

Look through the site many 08's have had the problem right off the lot as well and people have brought them back and said, "No Thanks".

The OP was asking a specific question. I don't see that your comment added any value to the thread. Were there too many positive comments for you or what??? :tsk:

Zoltar
01-27-2008, 05:16 PM
The OP was asking a specific question. I don't see that your comment added any value to the thread. Were there too many positive comments for you or what??? :tsk:

Agreed. The T word came to mind when I read that.
Looks like so far so good for post 10/07.
That's encouraging.

x3eer
01-27-2008, 08:02 PM

man.. I'm not getting tired of those AT problem postings but I am getting tired of you..

poor guy.. :thumbdwn:

kjboyd
01-27-2008, 08:24 PM
and doesn,t have a transmission problem......my date to make up my mind to buy an x3 is slowly creeping up and i would be overjoyed to hear the trans problem has been solved
after a certain build date..bmw has got to be working on clearing this up and it would be nice to hear someone say "i got mine with a build date of 12/07 etc. and all is ok.....

if he had not included THIS statement, I and maybe Ev wouldn't have responded. But he DID say it and therefor our posts were relevant- -because many people have said their 07s were just fine and then 5000 miles later are in transmission shift hell, or worse, their transmissions have FAILED altogether.

bobotski
01-27-2008, 09:51 PM

I sometimes wonder if people actually read the original post.

kjboyd
01-27-2008, 09:54 PM
the point is many people could respond that they have no problems... only to discover many miles later that yes, they do. with people still reporting that even on test drives they are feeling the transmission issues... the question from the OP really cannot be answered-- just cautious advice given.

x3eer
01-28-2008, 04:39 AM
the point is many people could respond that they have no problems... only to discover many miles later that yes, they do. with people still reporting that even on test drives they are feeling the transmission issues... the question from the OP really cannot be answered-- just cautious advice given.

i***8217;m sure the OP did enough research what problems have been reported and how it has been handled by BMW etc..

the point is the OP just wanted to know how many of those, who have owned an 08 X3 with a build date of 10/07 or later, have had transmission issues.

of course it can be answered if you have owned one that falls in that category, i.e. 'yes i have some issues', 'no it shifts just flawlessly', or if you really want to give him an advice then, 'i did test drive an X3 last night and noticed herky jerky shifts while I was driving'.

simple.

sandlakeont
01-28-2008, 05:56 AM
i'm sure the OP did enough research what problems have been reported and how it has been handled by BMW etc..

the point is the OP just wanted to know how many of those, who have owned an 08 X3 with a build date of 10/07 or later, have had transmission issues.

of course it can be answered if you have owned one that falls in that category, i.e. 'yes i have some issues', 'no it shifts just flawlessly', or if you really want to give him an advice then, 'i did test drive an X3 last night and noticed herky jerky shifts while I was driving'.

simple.

correct...thank you............. i,m not interested in 07,s or any other x3,s{08,s} with a build date of 10/07 or b/4, due to the fact that all i,ve read in here, it seems like anything built after 10/07 may have the problem solved.....i,m hoping....... thats why i,m asking........thanks for the replies....................:):):):):)

arcane
01-28-2008, 05:59 AM
Build date 11/05/08, had the problem from 600 miles, confirmed but not solved by SA at dealer, who took a test drive.

sandlakeont
01-28-2008, 06:11 AM
Build date 11/05/08, had the problem from 600 miles, confirmed but not solved by SA at dealer, who took a test drive.
bad news for me.............i,m sure you meant 11/05/07.........but it,s still bad news.......
i will just keep looking for more good news as time goes by................:(:(:(:(:(

STE92VE
01-28-2008, 07:09 AM
Sand, maybe this will help you.

When you buy a car, there are some known issues and some that are unknown. There are no guarantees one way or another that your car will be perfect or OTOH be plagued with issues. IMHO, it's how the manufacturer deals with these issues, if and when they arise and I can tell you from personal experience, I have no problem with purchasing an X3 or any other BMW since BMW stands behind the products that they sell.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

sandlakeont
01-28-2008, 08:07 AM

When you buy a car, there are some known issues and some that are unknown. There are no guarantees one way or another that your car will be perfect or OTOH be plagued with issues. IMHO, it's how the manufacturer deals with these issues, if and when they arise and I can tell you from personal experience, I have no problem with purchasing an X3 or any other BMW since BMW stands behind the products that they sell.

When you buy a car, there are some known issues :yikes::yikes::yikes:
a short story.........i bought a new 2001 corvette and i loved it. best seat i,ve ever sat in......i kept it 3 years or so and was going to trade it in for a new one........until i read in the corvette forum that the coupe tops were FLYING off the cars due to a malfunction in the sealing or whatever........this went on for awhile until they figured it out.....well that bothered me a lot because they were talking class action etc.etc etc.......so i traded it in on my 2005 330i.......and now i am looking at the x3 and reading about it,s problem.. i would NEVER buy ANYTHING with a known problem, especially a flying roof or a transmission with problems.......this is not like your buying a loaf of bread or something....i would be retching if i bought this x3 and i had to deal with the current problem..this is why i,m trying to do my homework and make an intelligent choice on this particular vehicle....i love my 330i..........3 years old and just a tail light bulb burned out........love the service etc:):):):):)

dug01
01-28-2008, 08:50 AM

When you buy a car, there are some known issues and some that are unknown.

Sounds like Donald Rumsfeld--:rofl:

Evlengr
01-28-2008, 09:26 AM

Well we shall see if I have a new vehicle after Tuesday's review. Dragging this out over ten months to me doesn't really show they stand behind their product.

STE92VE
01-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Well we shall see if I have a new vehicle after Tuesday's review. Dragging this out over ten months to me doesn't really show they stand behind their product.

Hope this is resolved to your satisfaction. How strong is MD's lemon laws?

arcane
01-28-2008, 10:28 AM
bad news for me.............i,m sure you meant 11/05/07.........but it,s still bad news.......
i will just keep looking for more good news as time goes by................:(:(:(:(:(

yes, I meant 11/05/07.

Havelcek
01-28-2008, 11:37 AM
My build date is 10/26/07 and I have the transmission problem, and the dealer + BMW say that the software is current.

sandlakeont
01-28-2008, 02:28 PM
QUOTE=Havelcek;2964600]My build date is 10/26/07 and I have the transmission problem, and the dealer + BMW say that the software is current.[/QUOTE]

i see you are in n.j............i am also............................ de simone dealer by chance?????

Havelcek
01-29-2008, 05:31 AM
QUOTE=Havelcek;2964600]My build date is 10/26/07 and I have the transmission problem, and the dealer + BMW say that the software is current.

i see you are in n.j............i am also............................ de simone dealer by chance?????[/QUOTE]

Hunterdon BMW...they have been superb to deal with both in terms of the purchase and follow-up servicing on the transmission. I can't recommend them enough. They couldn't fix my transmission problems but they kept the car for 3 days and seemed to give it a best effort.

STE92VE
01-29-2008, 05:38 AM
They couldn't fix my transmission problems but they kept the car for 3 days and seemed to give it a best effort.

So, what's your next plan of action?

Havelcek
01-29-2008, 07:21 AM
So, what's your next plan of action?

Its my wife's car, I drive it about 5% of the time, so its up to her. I asked her to put another 1000 miles on the car and report back to me and we will either take it again or just live with it (its a lease). I'm less worried about the poor shifting performance than I am about the dead accelerator which has only happened once and seems impossible to replicate. The dealer said there were no fault codes so it impossible to track. Basically as others on this forum have reported, she was making a left turn in traffic and the car refused to do anything when she applied gas. She had to lift off and reapply and nearly got T-boned except for the other car swerving.

edit: during the service visit they reset the computers back to the factory presets so it is "learning" how she drives again. Since the engine is now through the break-in period I encouraged her not to baby it and perhaps it will learn to shift properly this time.

viii_ball
01-29-2008, 09:20 AM
during the service visit they reset the computers back to the factory presets so it is "learning" how she drives again. Since the engine is now through the break-in period I encouraged her not to baby it and perhaps it will learn to shift properly this time.

I found a post here on BmrFest that talked about how to do this reset. Did it over the weekend and the car seems to be driving MUCH better. Our X3 (its the wife's) was the only one on the lot for several weeks so that goofy learning transmission adaptive driving BS may have been all screwed up due to test drives. We will see.

iSpY
02-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Sandlakeont,

I am on the same boat also, looking to get a X3 in a month or two and I *really* hope the trans issues is resolved for 08. (Finger crossed!)

i-SpY

ericbell1
02-03-2008, 06:43 AM
viii ball -

would you mind posting a link to the reset instructions you found?

thanks,
eric

Brandon01
02-05-2008, 09:48 AM
I posted the steps here a while back:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2297941&postcount=6

StevenJB
02-05-2008, 06:00 PM
My first post -
Any additional updates to this? We are probably signing the dotted line this week for one with a build date of 11/21/07.

Evlengr
02-05-2008, 06:08 PM
Only advice I can give to new buyers is drive it before you buy it. I mean really drive it. I have been looking at competitors lately, and the dealer said take it home for the weekend. IF they really believe in the car I don't see how they can refuse.

Havelcek
02-06-2008, 05:56 AM
Only advice I can give to new buyers is drive it before you buy it. I mean really drive it. I have been looking at competitors lately, and the dealer said take it home for the weekend. IF they really believe in the car I don't see how they can refuse.

I can't agree with this more. I will never buy another car without being allowed to take a loaner home overnight to drive it in real-world conditions. Lesson learned with BMW.

StevenJB
02-06-2008, 08:17 AM
While a weekend drive would be nice, we are 35 miles from the dealer so we are looking at racking up 70 - 100 miles of test drive on a new car. Is that reasonable?

Evlengr
02-06-2008, 08:23 AM
Not that the price is unreasonable if it performs like it should, but that price also permits greater expectations and latitude.

My dealer is 33 miles away and I have to rack up that mileage every time it gets serviced.

So better once than multiple times.

UncleJ
02-06-2008, 01:27 PM
On the drive, be sure you go over different types of roadways. Sure on the freeway it will be great, but how is it on the potholed back roads, the construction zones, and the expansion jointed concrete? You will get the full experience that way. The wife needs to ride on these trips too. I cannot agree more with taking a long test drive, aside from the transmission issue check to see how the suspension handles the nasty bits.