PDA

View Full Version : amber displays on X5

monin
01-26-2008, 10:24 AM
My X5 amber display that shows CHECK CONTROL information like CHECK COOLANT LEVEL, ENGINE temp, outside temp. etc and trip miles is missing several pixels. It's now missing so many pixels that its very hard if not impossible to read. My question, will the dealer fix this as a recall issue since my warranty is long gone as of last year.

On a side note:

I went to the car wash yesterday and the guy who drove the car did not know how to open a BMW door -- pull once to unlock and pull again to open. Normally I wash all my autos. I guess the guy freaked out thinking he was locked in the car. Anyway, the jerk pull so hard on the handle that he broke it and it was now impossible for the driver to open the door once it was closed unless I unrolled the window and reached my hand to open it from the outside. I did a Post mortem on the door by taking it completely apart (trying not to snap all those plastic clips) to see if I could do the repair job myself. I even had to remove the AIR BAG to get to the part that broke - this made me extremely nervous as I did not want to end up as a POST on the Darwin awards this year!!! I disconnected the battery. I am not sure if this would prevent the air bags from firing or not? Anyway, I located the plastic clip that the cable connects to and it was broken but I was able to repair it. I would have had to buy the entire module since they would never sell just the little plastic part that I needed separately.

dkl
01-26-2008, 10:36 AM
I believed there is a TSB on this. BMW will cover the cost of the display, but you'll have to cover the cost of the labor (about 2 hours). Check with your dealer on this.

Big "J"
01-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Please tell me you choaked the dude at the car wash!!!! What an idiot!