Sport Package
Xenons
Heated Front Seats

Shortly after delivery:
Sirius
Dice iPod adapter
Blk/wht badges
Tinted windows
Whatever other cool/fun mods we can find!

Thanks for all the informative posts!

Cheers,

STE92VE
01-28-2008, 07:25 AM
Best of luck with your new ride. :thumbup:

Now the fun begins tracking it's progress from start of production until it arrives on US soil. (only if you're as obsessed as I am :D)

Andrew*Debbie
01-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Good mix of options. Are you taking Munich delivery?

There are lots of aftermarket goodies for the X3... The BMW Accessories catalog is a good place to start.

No matter what you do with an X3, it is going to feel like a big heavy car compared to the rest of your fleet.

hot_croc
01-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks guys!

Moved from 'On Order' to 'Scheduled for Production' today! WOOT!

Anyway, we tried to upgrade to the 19" staggered wheels, but missed the cut-off date. So now we're stuck with the 18" sport pkg wheels (alloy double spoke, style 192M). As a result, we've decided to go aftermarket and I was wondering if anyone has been able to/had experience with having A/M wheels sent to the dealer so they could be installed before delivery? Is that possible (I'm sure it depends on the dealer, but I don't want to sound like a fool requesting it if it's unheard of anywhere).

Thanks!

keithsimp
01-31-2008, 08:54 AM
Congrats on the new X3. Looks like our vehicles are on the assembly line at the same time. Mine went to production yesterday as well, got the VIN number when that happened. I also got my PCD date confirmation this morning, so things are moving along. I'm taking delivery on 4/3, as of now, hopefully that won't change.

bobkap
01-31-2008, 10:15 AM
We placed our order yesterday:

Production Date: Feb. 6, 2008

Alpine White
Sand Beige/Nevada Black Leather
Gray Poplar Trim
MANUAL Transmission
Sport Package
Xenons
Heated Front Seats

Shortly after delivery:
Sirius
Dice iPod adapter
Blk/wht badges
Tinted windows
Whatever other cool/fun mods we can find!

Thanks for all the informative posts!

Cheers,
hot croc,
Way to go!!!
Smart move with the 6M over the 6A. Now all you'll need to contend with are CDV's, Long pedal throws, Iffy grabs and Jerking heads off yourself and passengers, otherwise, it's a great ride. Better a broken neck with the 6M than to be creamed while making a left in front of a semi in a 6A.......... Better a neck collar than a pine box.
Life is funny; I used to dream about getting Bin Laden, now I dream about nuking CDV factories. I think it's good to laugh sometimes otherwise we'd wind up like Benz owners.
Seriously, I hope you love yours as much as I do mine.
bobkap

hot_croc
01-31-2008, 10:58 AM
Smart move with the 6M over the 6A. Now all you'll need to contend with are CDV's, Long pedal throws, Iffy grabs and Jerking heads off yourself and passengers, otherwise, it's a great ride. Better a broken neck with the 6M than to be creamed while making a left in front of a semi in a 6A.......... Better a neck collar than a pine box.
Heehee. We never even considered an automatic tranny (and that's partly why we ended up with the X3 - most SUVs/Crossovers only come in auto. ACK!). I've been driving stick for nearly 20 years (yikes! did I just give away my age??? :p) and only bought 1 auto in all those years - and that was the only car I experienced buyers-remorse over! lol

dashiell
01-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Hot, I drove the '08 with 19" wheels because I liked the look better, I have to say that it made the ride a bit more brittle than I cared for. Of course it's personal preference, but I do have an X5 with sport package and I love the ride. It seemed that on a hard turn the 19" wheels made it skip/skid if the pavement wasn't perfect. I would suggest you test drive it with 19's first before you buy.

hot_croc
01-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the tip, dashiell!

Evlengr
01-31-2008, 11:55 AM
Car and Driver lists the Cayman as a winner against the Exige in competition.

Since not many can say they own the two what do you think?

And congratulation on the MT.

STE92VE
01-31-2008, 12:18 PM
I also got my PCD date confirmation this morning, so things are moving along. I'm taking delivery on 4/3, as of now, hopefully that won't change.

If you have never done PCD before, after you do it once, you won't want to take delivery of a new car any other way. First class experience from start to finish. Too bad you won't be able to take the factory tour since it has been closed to the public from last June for the introduction of the X6. Tell Jonathan & Donnie "Hello" for me......and be sure you get a hot lap in the M5 with Donnie.

hot_croc
01-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Car and Driver lists the Cayman as a winner against the Exige in competition.

Since not many can say they own the two what do you think?
The Lotus jumps off the line quicker, but the Cayman catches up and passes with ease.
The Lotus definitely owns the curves, though the Cayman is no slouch there.

And congratulation on the MT.
Thanks!

AzNMpower32
01-31-2008, 12:53 PM
Congrats on the X3! You'll find it a good companion to the other vehicles in your stable. And of course, pics when it arrives :)

Skottoman
01-31-2008, 02:03 PM
Hi,
I'm the 'other half'. Really looking forward to our new X3. Will miss the MINI's for sure, but we have 2 other play cars, so the X3 will be useful.

We'll be doing mods to it, as that's just what we do. Hey, we like cars.
Cheers,
Skottoman

Evlengr
01-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the picture. And the info.

There is a fantastic dealer in London near Hyde Park that has all the Lotus line on display right next to the Aston-Martin dealer.

It was kid in a candy shop day of which I went to Burberry afterwards to be fair to the wife.

What mods do you plan to make on the X3?

Skottoman
01-31-2008, 02:53 PM
What mods do you plan to make on the X3?

Current list...
- Gunmetal CSL 19" staggered wheels
- De-Badge
- Window Tint
- Black/Carbon Roundels everywhere
- Whalen Shiftknob
- Blackout Front Grills
- Dice iPod integration
- Sirius Satellite Radio

I'll let hot_croc take it from here... :thumbup:
Cheers,
Skottoman

keithsimp
01-31-2008, 03:49 PM
Current list...
- Gunmetal CSL 19" staggered wheels
- De-Badge
- Window Tint
- Black/Carbon Roundels everywhere
- Whalen Shiftknob
- Blackout Front Grills
- Dice iPod integration
- Sirius Satellite Radio

I'll let hot_croc take it from here... :thumbup:
Cheers,
Skottoman

Great list to start with...
Here's mine.

3M Clear Bra
Window tint
Dice Ipod
XM Satellite Radio

I did order the 18" wheels at the last minute. 19" just won't cut it here with winter and all.

hot_croc
02-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Status Update: According to the BMW 800#, our X3 has been released to the carrier and is awaiting transport to the port of exit. WOOT! :thumbup:

On the homefront, mods are amassing:
-Carbon/White Roundels came in last week*
-Dice Ipod kit arrived yesterday*
-19" Wheels showed up today*
-H&R Springs were delivered today too

*Big hats off to eas (http://www.europeanautosource.com/) for their great service and super speedy delivery!

STE92VE
02-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Status Update: According to the BMW 800#, our X3 has been released to the carrier and is awaiting transport to the port of exit. WOOT! :thumbup:

That's great! Are you going to track the ship that your X3 is on across the Atlantic?

keithsimp
02-07-2008, 10:10 PM

*Big hats off to eas (http://www.europeanautosource.com/) for their great service and super speedy delivery!

Mine must be close as well. I think I placed my order 1 day after you. What number did you call to get the current status? The OC site is verrrry sloowwww with updates.

Thanks,

dashiell
02-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Hot, mine has the same status update. Apparently now we have to get the name of the ship from the ca. Then we can track it across the Atlantic and through the Panama canal. Bon voyage!

HT417
02-07-2008, 11:20 PM

Congrats to you both! I would never have suspected you'd order Alpine White. :D.

If I was getting the manual I'd probably change the shifter, too. I think you'll find it's a bit different than the Cayman's and not necessarily in a good way IMHO.

STE92VE
02-08-2008, 04:20 AM
What number did you call to get the current status? The OC site is verrrry sloowwww with updates.

Thanks,

1-800-831-1117

hot_croc
02-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Congrats to you both! I would never have suspected you'd order Alpine White. :D.
LOL Yeah, hubby and I were talking about car colors the other day... he definitely has an affinity for red w/black accents while I am addicted to white! :rofl: We would have gone red for the X3, but you can't get the sport pkg in red - so sport pkg trumped color.

If I was getting the manual I'd probably change the shifter, too. I think you'll find it's a bit different than the Cayman's and not necessarily in a good way IMHO.
I've had a Whalen shifter in my MINI for nearly 3 years - it was an immediate and amazing difference: I decided against the short shifter after driving with the Whalen. So when I saw that Doug makes them for the X3 too, well... just couldn't pass it up! :D Plus he'll do most any custom graphic you want. We like unique!

That's great! Are you going to track the ship that your X3 is on across the Atlantic?
You bet!

1-800-831-1117
Yep, that's it... just say "vehicle production status" as soon as the machine answers. Then you have to say your production # or the last 7 digits of the VIN. Eezy peezy!

I'll probably call my CA today and see if I can find out what ship/line we're allocated to. Will keep you all updated!

keithsimp
02-08-2008, 07:51 AM
Hmmmm Thanks for the number. Just called and got the status, says it's still in production with an est. completion date of 2/7. Must be close, real close. Anyway I'll be on different boat since mine is going to South Carolina.
Just another 8 weeks and the wait will be over.:D

LMC
02-08-2008, 11:14 AM
What tires are you planning?

hot_croc
02-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Since we went with the 19" staggered wheels, tire choices were limited... we settled on Contintental CrossContact UHP (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=CrossContact+UHP&index=2&vehicleSearch=true&frontTire=345WR9CC&rearTire=54WR9CC&place=2&minSpeedRating=S&speed_rating=S&speed_rating=T&speed_rating=U&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minLoad=S) from Tire Rack. And they should be arriving next week.:p

Being Cali residents, we don't see much snow and our roads are in fairly good condition.

dashiell
02-09-2008, 12:26 AM
Hot, If we are getting on a ship in the immediate future, I see two possibilities. The Turandot which leaves Bremerhaven today 2/09, or the Falstaff which departs 2/15. Both of these come to Oxnard, I don't know how your car gets to Nocal. Of course perhaps they have a totally different ship that goes to Santa Cruz. Have you heard anything yet?

hot_croc
02-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Wow, dash! You're better informed than me! lol
I didn't get a chance to call my CA yesterday and haven't researched specific ships yet. That would be sweet if our cars got on the Turandot!

hot_croc
02-09-2008, 12:29 PM
Stopped by the dealer today - they don't have a line or ship assignment for ours yet. Guess it's not on the Turandot. :(
CA said he'd check again Monday and give me a call if there's info available.

dashiell
02-09-2008, 01:07 PM
Damn!

UncleJ
02-09-2008, 06:27 PM
They get to NoCal dealers by covered car carrier. There is almost certainly a stop for checking and inspection after they roll off the ship, and then up on the trailer and on their way. Have seen many of these loads on the roads branching out from Oxnard/Port Huenume. Is there still a BMW store in SCruz or are you going over the hill?

hot_croc
02-09-2008, 06:46 PM
No dealer in SC. We went to Stevens Creek BMW because they had a large inventory to peruse - and ended up with a fair deal.

dashiell
02-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Hot, Spoke with my CA today and he said it wasn't loaded yet and to check back with him in a week(I don't think so!). If your CA is more on top of it than mine, keep me updated. I'll do the same. Thanks.

UncleJ
02-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Got mine at Stevens Creek too. Large inventory fair deal. Always a BMW loaner too if you call ahead. I dealt with Paul, very satisfied ATC.

hot_croc
02-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Phil is our CA but we got to meet Paul (GSM) after he approved our deal and put in our order. Kinda wish he could've been our CA.

Good to know about the loaner! MINI of Mtn View gives me a loaner when I take my MINI there for svc, but it's always an Enterprise rental car. :thumbdwn:

dashiell
02-11-2008, 11:15 PM
My X3 is on a dock in Bremerhaven, does anyone have a C-130 on the tarmac in Germany that they could load it on, I would tip you really well(the pizza guy always gets at least 25%). Thanks.

HT417
02-12-2008, 02:23 AM
My X3 is on a dock in Bremerhaven, does anyone have a C-130 on the tarmac in Germany that they could load it on, I would tip you really well(the pizza guy always gets at least 25%). Thanks.

Do you want them to land on the Interstate or attach the 'chutes and drop it in your driveway? :D

dashiell
02-12-2008, 02:38 AM
Driveway please, I'll get the gps coordinates.

HT417
02-12-2008, 02:42 AM
Driveway please, I'll get the gps coordinates.

10 digit please - we don't want to get you in trouble by wrecking the neighbor's flowerbed.

dashiell
02-12-2008, 02:45 AM
Very precise, I would expect nothing less of the Germans.

HT417
02-12-2008, 02:51 AM
Very precise, I would expect nothing less of the Germans.

Oh... you want the Germans to deliver? In that case we expect three cases of Germany's finest beverage, pre-chilled and ready on delivery. And NO Becks. :D

dashiell
02-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Just looked at a map, you're a long way from the coast, I'm not sure you're the man for the job.

dashiell
02-12-2008, 02:59 AM
Coors it is!

HT417
02-12-2008, 03:46 AM
Just looked at a map, you're a long way from the coast, I'm not sure you're the man for the job.

I've got connections and for the right price....

HT417
02-12-2008, 03:57 AM
Coors it is!

Coors??!!

Man, I have never seen anyone more in need of an ED than you. Fly on over here and break your new X3 in properly. In between runs down the Autobahn I'll ensure you're properly weened off of that carbonated water. :beerchug:

STE92VE
02-12-2008, 04:11 AM

Give these guys a call:
http://salinasforw.com/air_transport_cargo_airfreight_transportation.html

hot_croc
02-12-2008, 07:19 AM
That's great news, dash!
According to the 800# our is "at the port awaiting a vessel" as well. :thumbup:
It's a tad early to call my CA just yet, but he will be getting a call later today! :p

Andrew*Debbie
02-12-2008, 08:23 AM
That's great news, dash!
It's a tad early to call my CA just yet, but he will be getting a call later today! :p

I hate to bring this up, but the longest wait will likely be at Port Hueneme VDC.

Non ED cars usually clear customs very quickly.
After that they all go the the VDC. It can take awhile for the cars to make it though. You cars should have priority over cars destined for dealer stock. The new 1ers and M3s may cause a flood of priority one cars though.

There are several good on-line posts about the VDC. Google found one:

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21112

STE92VE
02-12-2008, 08:29 AM
I

There are several good on-line posts about the VDC.

The NY Chapter of the BMW CCA will be offering a tour of the NY VDC.
http://nybmwcca.org/events.php?id=30

This is available to BMW CCA members and their guests.

Andrew*Debbie
02-12-2008, 08:36 AM
The NY Chapter of the BMW CCA will be offering a tour of the NY VDC.
http://nybmwcca.org/events.php?id=30

This is available to BMW CCA members and their guests.

There is a good chance we will be in the area around the tour date. I'm trying to work it into our schedule.

LMC
02-12-2008, 09:00 AM
I've been in a C-130 and if I remember correctly it should easily accomodate TWO X3s!
:bigpimp:

That's great news, dash!

STE92VE
02-12-2008, 09:06 AM
There is a good chance we will be in the area around the tour date. I'm trying to work it into our schedule.

Great, always glad to meet fellow forum members! :thumbup:

hot_croc
02-12-2008, 09:43 AM
I hate to bring this up, but the longest wait will likely be at Port Hueneme VDC.
This time around (for me) I think the longest wait will be the boat trip. When I ordered my MINI, I bought from a NY dealership so the trip to the US was fairly quick. This time around we went local, so the boat ride to Cali is gonna seem veeeeeeeeery loooooooooong.

Thanks for all the good info A*D!

hot_croc
02-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Mods are piling up! Tires arrived today...

http://www.baileymusic.com/bmw/mods1.jpg

Monochrome Roundels & "M" logos
http://www.baileymusic.com/bmw/mods2.jpg

STE92VE
02-12-2008, 08:12 PM

http://www.baileymusic.com/bmw/mods1.jpg

Monochrome Roundels & "M" logos
http://www.baileymusic.com/bmw/mods2.jpg

:thumbup:

dashiell
02-13-2008, 03:43 AM
Hot, Go to this link and punch in your VIN, I didn't think I was on the Turandot, but apparently I am, maybe you are too. www.2wglobal.com
customer centre, cargo tracking, auto cargo, VIN.

Andrew*Debbie
02-13-2008, 04:38 AM

:roundel: :D

HT417
02-13-2008, 05:44 AM
Very nice rims. :thumbup:

hot_croc
02-13-2008, 07:10 AM
Hot, Go to this link and punch in your VIN, I didn't think I was on the Turandot, but apparently I am, maybe you are too. www.2wglobal.com
customer centre, cargo tracking, auto cargo, VIN.
Congrats, dash!
Sadly, my VIN is not in their system. :( Time to harrass my CA.

hot_croc
02-13-2008, 07:54 AM
Very nice rims. :thumbup:
Thanks! They were actually a pretty good deal too (from eas).

HT417
02-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks! They were actually a pretty good deal too (from eas).

I'm going to have to take another look at eas. :thumbup:

keithsimp
02-16-2008, 01:53 PM
croc and dash,
I guess I'm in transit, at least that's the latest status. Not sure which vessel though. I'm guessing it's on the Faust that left Bremmerhaven yesterday. It's the most recent vessel sailing to Charleston, SC on this site www.2wglobal.com. I don't know if there is another shipping company or not. My VIN is not yet listed as cargo, but I understand that may take a few days to show up. Anyway looking forward to the pickup date of 04/03.
Thanks for all the info here.

hot_croc
02-16-2008, 04:52 PM
That's great, Keith!
My OC status still shows "Awaiting Transport" and my CA says he has no info on a vessel. I'm hoping we got on the Falstaff that left Bremerhaven yesterday (doesn't arrive in Cali until 3/25 though), but our VIN isn't in their system [yet?]. More waiting... :p

dashiell
02-16-2008, 06:04 PM
Hot, mine didn't show in WW's system until it was a few days out of port. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. If I were a betting man (and I am), I'd say you're on the Falstaff. Good luck!

keithsimp
02-16-2008, 08:47 PM
I did get confirmation that I am on the Faust, due to arrive in Charleston VPC on 2/29. :roundel:

Big THANKS to Adrian..................

hot_croc
02-19-2008, 07:26 AM
:D Our VIN showed up on the WW site today! WOOT! We're on the Flastaff - due to arrive at Port Hueneme on March 10th: 19 days to landfall and counting! :p

dashiell
02-19-2008, 03:34 PM
Way to go Hot! I was hoping you made it on the Falstaff. Now you have to go to http://www.sailwx.info/ and obsessively watch your car cross the Atlantic.

hot_croc
02-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Way to go Hot! I was hoping you made it on the Falstaff. Now you have to go to http://www.sailwx.info/ and obsessively watch your car cross the Atlantic.
That's the plan... except that I can't determine the ship's callsign and the search comes up empty when I go by ship name. :dunno: Any suggestions?

dashiell
02-19-2008, 03:50 PM
??? I just tried for you and am having the same problem. It did take a few days before my ship showed in the system, it will probably be there in the next day or two.

hot_croc
02-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for trying, dash!

In more exciting news... we received our Whalen Shiftknob (www.whalenshiftmachine.com/) today:

Custom engraved Autobot logo
http://maverickminis.com/nikki/x3/autobot1.jpg

The pic hardly does it justice - it looks absolutely stunning in real life - very fine detail! :bigpimp:

LMC
02-20-2008, 09:42 AM
In more exciting news... we received our Whalen Shiftknob (www.whalenshiftmachine.com/) today:
Custom engraved Autobot logo

You are going to have one interesting X3! :thumbup: :bow:

Better load up the digital camera with extra bytes -- we will want lots and lots of photos!

:supdude:

STE92VE
02-20-2008, 09:55 AM
That's the plan... except that I can't determine the ship's callsign and the search comes up empty when I go by ship name. :dunno: Any suggestions?

??? I just tried for you and am having the same problem. It did take a few days before my ship showed in the system, it will probably be there in the next day or two.
Falstaff (callsign SLCO)
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ships/Falstaff-8320767.html

hot_croc
02-20-2008, 11:47 AM
You are going to have one interesting X3! :thumbup: :bow:

Better load up the digital camera with extra bytes -- we will want lots and lots of photos!

:supdude:
:rofl: Coming from the world of MINIs where everything about the car is "you-ified" it's impossible not to do something custom/unique/quirky/fun to any new vehicle we get. BUT... the X3 will remain a fairly normal luxo-mobile, with just a touch of quirky/fun here and there. :p

Falstaff (callsign SLCO)
http://www.vesseltracker.com/en/Ships/Falstaff-8320767.html
Thanks, STE92VE!!!:thumbup:

keithsimp
02-28-2008, 10:38 AM
FAUST
Last reported at 2008-Feb-26 00:00 UTC. Time now 2008-Feb-28 18:31 UTC.
Position N 4018', W 06818'.
Warning: this ship's position is 2 days out of date.

My ship was 2 days out from New York, then it stopped communicating. Last known position from sailwx.info. :yikes::yikes:
I wonder if this is typical and they stop communicating once they get close to the port. The Faust was due to arrive in NY today sometime.

STE92VE
02-28-2008, 10:47 AM
My ship was 2 days out from New York, then it stopped communicating. Last known position from sailwx.info. :yikes::yikes:
I wonder if this is typical and they stop communicating once they get close to the port. The Faust was due to arrive in NY today sometime.

This is typical... sailwx is a voluntary manual ship reporting system which requires ships to report their location, weather and sea conditions on a periodic basis. The AIS system http://aisfree.aislive.com is a mandatory automatic ship position locator but is only effective up to about 150 miles form shore since it is a radio based communication system, not satellite like sailwx.

STE92VE
02-28-2008, 11:01 AM
Here she is in the port of NY:

keithsimp
02-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Thanks STE92VE. Where did you get that? From http://aisfree.aislive.com ??

STE92VE
02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks STE92VE. Where did you get that? From http://aisfree.aislive.com ??

Yup, I signed up when I was tracking my E92.

hot_croc
02-28-2008, 11:44 AM
Here she is in the port of NY:
Awesome! :thumbup:
Keith could be taking delivery soon!

The Falstaff is down in the southern Caribbean heading for the Panama Canal. :D

STE92VE
02-28-2008, 12:24 PM
Awesome! :thumbup:
Keith could be taking delivery soon!

I think Keith is doing PCD so he has a while to wait before he takes delivery....look at his sig to see his ticker!

hot_croc
02-28-2008, 12:38 PM
I think Keith is doing PCD so he has a while to wait before he takes delivery....look at his sig to see his ticker!
Doh!

hot_croc
03-02-2008, 08:28 AM
The Falstaff is making her way through the Panama Canal!

STE92VE
03-02-2008, 08:44 AM
The Falstaff is making her way through the Panama Canal!

There she is now!

hot_croc
03-02-2008, 02:38 PM
There she is now!
LOL Nice try! ;)

hot_croc
03-02-2008, 06:54 PM
I can't take credit for the pics (thanks to JerryR over on e90post.com), but here's the Falstaff going through the Miraflores locks earlier today:

Entering the lock
http://www.baileymusic.com/bmw/Falstaff_entering.jpg

Loading in
http://www.baileymusic.com/bmw/Falstaff_loading.jpg

Locked in
http://www.baileymusic.com/bmw/Falstaff_lockedin.jpg

Water level starts to drop
http://www.baileymusic.com/bmw/Falstaff_lowering.jpg

More lowering
http://www.baileymusic.com/bmw/Falstaff_lowering2.jpg

According to AIS, she's out in the Pacific now. :thumbup:

STE92VE
03-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I can't take credit for the pics (thanks to JerryR over on e90post.com), but here's the Falstaff going through the Miraflores locks earlier today:

Wow, Big Brother is really watching....:D

keithsimp
03-05-2008, 09:13 PM
Question for anyone.... When a Work Order is issued for a vehicle at the VPC does that mean there was damage or is it just SOP to issue one to get it inspected and such?

STE92VE
03-06-2008, 04:34 AM
Question for anyone.... When a Work Order is issued for a vehicle at the VPC does that mean there was damage or is it just SOP to issue one to get it inspected and such?
On April 5, I'll be taking a tour of the Vehicle Distribution Center and will ask this question. How did you find out about the work order?

keithsimp
03-06-2008, 06:34 AM
My CA sent me a screen print of the status of the order.
Work Order Printed 3/3/08
Work Order Completed (Process Confirmed) 3/4/08

I was just curious. Doesn't look like it took long to complete the Work Order, 1 day. So whatever it was they took care of it quickly.

Enjoy the VPC tour, I'll already have my X3 by then. :)

STE92VE
03-06-2008, 12:24 PM
My CA sent me a screen print of the status of the order.
Work Order Printed 3/3/08
Work Order Completed (Process Confirmed) 3/4/08

I was just curious. Doesn't look like it took long to complete the Work Order, 1 day. So whatever it was they took care of it quickly.

Enjoy the VPC tour, I'll already have my X3 by then. :)

I really wouldn't give it much thought. As long as the damage doesn't exceed 3% of the value they don't have to report it and these guys do great work, so you'll never know anything was fixed anyway...... j/k..:D

Seriously, the work order is probably just a way to track all the cars that get offloaded from the ship and sets them up to have the cosmoline removed and other transportation issues dealt with like battery cut off switches, etc.

keithsimp
03-06-2008, 02:28 PM
You're right, it's 'much ado about nothin'.............

Getting very excited. :roundel:

hot_croc
03-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Getting very excited. :roundel:
Less than a month to go, Keith! WOOT!!

archrenov8
03-08-2008, 09:18 PM
So, I helped my friend order a MINI, one week after I ordered my X3, and in logging onto this tracking site, I think they might be on the same vessel.

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP/

Does the ship start off in Bremerhaven loading up BMW's, and then stop Southampton and load up MINI's, before coming to New York?

This would be so cool that our cars are riding on the same ship.

hot_croc
03-09-2008, 08:22 AM
Does the ship start off in Bremerhaven loading up BMW's, and then stop Southampton and load up MINI's, before coming to New York?
It's certainly possible. The Falstaff (which our car is on) picked up BMWs in Bremerhaven then headed up to Southampton and got a couple hundred MINIs as well before heading across the Atlantic. If you look on the Wallenius Site (http://www.2wglobal.com/www/WEP/index.jsp) under Customer Centre/Schedules/Search by Vessel (http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppSchedules/vesselSearch.do) and enter your ship's name it will show all of the ship's stops on it's current voyage. :)

archrenov8
03-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Hot Croc- Thanks for that tip. I realize now that after picking up X3's in Bremerhaven, it made other stops at Antwerp and Zeebrugg, most likely to pick up other Bimmers along the way, and then it spends several days in Southampton, at more than one dock. Yesterday, it was at a large facility where the MINI got on board, most likely from the Test Road facility, and today, it seems to have gone up river to another facility, more modern but smaller.

Then it is straight off to New York on Tuesday, before heading southward along the coast making stops along the way to Georgia. So, I guess it takes X5's, X6's, and Z's from down south and brings them back to Europe. That would make sense. And I wonder if it also has containers of engines and trannies in its cargo hold when USA-bound for the American production facility.

It is kind of amazing how efficient and quick all of this is, when you realize the quantity of vehicles and the logistics involved.

hot_croc
03-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Isn't tracking your new ride fun!?!

archrenov8
03-10-2008, 04:21 AM
Actually it is. And you learn a bit about how much is involved. Quite interesting. Makes the destination charge seem pretty reasonable.