PDA

View Full Version : Pre wired for Sirius ?

chefsklls
01-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Hello everyone, I was thinking about getting Sirius radio for my 06 X3. The car is pre wired for Sat radio, but how do I go about getting it to work through my exsiting radio, I would rather not have a aftermarket hanging off of my dash or near that area. Is there any way I can do it myself cheaper or should I just call the dealer, also what parts would I need. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks
:dunno:
Billy

kapkanimd
06-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Hello everyone, I was thinking about getting Sirius radio for my 06 X3. The car is pre wired for Sat radio, but how do I go about getting it to work through my exsiting radio, I would rather not have a aftermarket hanging off of my dash or near that area. Is there any way I can do it myself cheaper or should I just call the dealer, also what parts would I need. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks
:dunno:
Billy

hey, did u ever get this settled, i also have a prewired 06, also curious on what parts I need and how much for everything, thanks!

3seriesbmw
06-30-2008, 02:46 PM
I was looking at the dealers website today and the price seemed kind of high for the system and installation. If you find a seperate one that may be small enough you could put it inside the storage tray where the navigation should be....if you dont have navigation. You may even have to put it in the storage tray below the radio or even in the console it just depends where the reciever is on those(if its on the unit or if its seperate i dont know):dunno:.

chefsklls
07-21-2008, 05:58 PM
No i Never figured out my problem. I did find a receiver on ebay but I lost the Bid. thanks for asking if you find any great ideas that can really hide the receiver i would love to know bc i just bought my wife a mini cooper and her sat radio is built in and i can use hers.

x3ronnie
07-21-2008, 06:58 PM
You could check out XM Driect w/blitzsafe adapter. I have it in my '07. Now it's not perfect and while some people have great functionality, others find not everything works as expected. You will have:
nothing extra showing or wires hanging out
display on your radio and use of steering wheel controls
easy DIY install (even a caveman can do it)
XM and NOT Sirius.
Just my 2 cents.
See EAS or BSW for purchasing info.
Let me know if you need more info.

chefsklls
09-16-2008, 05:55 AM
Thanks i will look into that.

surgtech
09-16-2008, 08:07 AM
I just installed the XM receiver with blitzsafe adapter in my '06 that was prewired for
Sirius. Piece of cake, out the door for $200. All the plugs you need are in the rear compartment drivers side near bluetooth module. You can even use the Sirius antenna from the sharkfin . I bought mine from myradiostore.com and have been happy. If you go that route and need any advice, pictures just let me know.

Good luck,

3seriesbmw
09-16-2008, 03:10 PM
The yukon and the 1500 have xm which I love but BMW's price seemed kinda high....

BMW Newby
11-03-2008, 11:46 AM
I just installed the XM receiver with blitzsafe adapter in my '06 that was prewired for
Sirius. Piece of cake, out the door for $200. All the plugs you need are in the rear compartment drivers side near bluetooth module. You can even use the Sirius antenna from the sharkfin . I bought mine from myradiostore.com and have been happy. If you go that route and need any advice, pictures just let me know.

Good luck,

I just bought an 06 X3( pre sirius installed) for my wife and she has requested that I install XM in it for her. Would you mind sending the information, advice and pictures for the install? I'm amazed it was only $200 tota. Thanks, I really appreciate it!

surgtech
11-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Here ya go Newby,

I bought the XM tuner and Blitzsafe adapter at myradiostore.com. I have a BMW ipod adapter installed so I needed a different adapter, but if you are installing xm without an ipod you need an XM 1000 Tuner, and an XM Direct SLD 01 adapter.

I hope you can follow the pics. First things first, go to youtube and search for bmw x3 radio removal. Great video that will show you exactly what to do. You need to swap a cable in back of head unit. The video shows a car that is not prewired, but they explain where the wire is and how to switch it. Next go to the rear driver side compartment in the rear of the car. You need to feel for a wrapped package of cables next to the amplifier. These are the sirius antenna cable and 3 and 6 pin cables. The 3 and 6 pin connectors plug into the blitzsafe adapter. The Sirius antenna cable, which is blue for my car, plugs into the xm tuner. However, it won't fit initially because it is designed for Sirius. You need to take an xacto knife and shave down the splines on the pink antenna male portion on the connection, which is located on the xm tuner. Once you have a smooth circular male connection, you will be able to attach the antenna to the tuner. By doing this, you are using the antenna that is in the sharkfin on the roof, you do not have to use the magnetic antenna that is included with the tuner.

Now you have to hook up the cords from the Blitzsafe adapter to the tuner, which should be obvious.

That should be it. The only thing I have not done yet is velcro the tuner to the wall of the inner compartment. For now I just tuck it where I can. I have not had any problems with reception yet, and I have had it hooked up for about 2 months now.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Chris

P.S. 1st picture shows where cables will be stored { will be to right of amp, tucked in a soft black velcro package}. 2nd pic shows pink antenna connection that needs to be trimmed to allow sirius cable to fit over, 3rd pic is blitzsafe adapter, and 4th pic shows tuner with all cables attached.

BMW Newby
11-04-2008, 09:26 AM
I just ordered the XMD1000 and Blitzsafe BMW-XM-SLD01 from myradiostore.com, with shippping it came to $164.00 (I bought the refurb XMD1000 becase it comes with a longer warranty). What suprised me was that the blitsafe was $99.00 from myradiostore.com and $220 direct from blitzsafe. I called myradiostore and they said it was exactly the same unit, so I guess I'll find out if it's not when I install it. Can anyone provide pics, tips ect. for their install? I'd also like to see what needs to be done to use the existing sat radio antenna in the shartk fin. Thanks for your help.:bigpimp:

BMW Newby
11-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks Chris, I was typing my post as you submitted yours. I appreciate your help!

Chad

BMW Newby
11-04-2008, 09:43 AM
Chris,

Cool, that is a great video. I would have loved to have had that when I direct installed xm in my toureg! Thanks again for the help.

Chad

surgtech
11-04-2008, 04:04 PM
You are welcome Chad, I hope it all makes sense when you get the parts. Those videos are great. If you take your time and follow what they say closely, you can remove the head unit in a few minutes. Let me know how everything works out.

BMW Newby
11-06-2008, 05:32 AM
Hey Chris,

That was amazingly easy, I think it took me 8 min. start to finish. Thanks so much for your help!:bigpimp:

Chad

surgtech
11-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Hey Chad,

Glad to hear it went so well. Enjoy!

vince217
11-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Very informative post, thanks! this is exactly what I'm looking for

I do have some questions though, for surgtech:
1. I have an Ipod BMW adapter installed (the one in the glove comp that lets you control the ipod in a limited wayfrom the head unit)... so what adapter would I need if I were to install the XM direct module?
2. How do I know if my X3 is pre-wired for satellite radio? Would really want to use the sharkfin antenna if possible!

2005 X3 2.5i

New Motors
11-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Post last 7 of VIN and I'll tell you.

surgtech
11-13-2008, 03:48 PM
If your car is truly wired for sirius, you can get the SLD-03 adapter from myradiostore.com. That comes with an xm receiver and the adapter for 179.99. Call your dealer, or check out the video on youtube "removing bmw x3 radio" and they show how to remove your head unit and how to find the cable needed for sat radio. If you have the invoice from your car, it should say if it is prewired, or you can give the vin info to the previous poster. Good luck. I have the sld-03 adapter and everything was easy except running the ipod cable from the blitzsafe adapter in the back of the car to the ipod adapter behind the radio. That took awhile, and some creative routing of the cable.

vince217
11-14-2008, 06:27 AM
Newmotors: Last 7 of VIN: WC47474.

How/where did you run the cable from the blitzsafe to the back of the radio? I presume that if my x3 is prewired for sat, I dont have to do this myself, right?

Thanks in advance!

x3ronnie
11-14-2008, 02:23 PM
Newmotors: Last 7 of VIN: WC47474.

How/where did you run the cable from the blitzsafe to the back of the radio? I presume that if my x3 is prewired for sat, I dont have to do this myself, right?

Thanks in advance!

The connections are made using the cd changer cables beneath the center console OR using the sat connection cables located in the left rear cargo area (sat pre-wiring). If you use the latter, you will have to pull the radio out and swap cables behind the radio. This is the quickest and easiest method. You can even connect up to the sharkfin antenna for a clean look.

surgtech
11-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Running the cable from the back of the car to the back of the radio is for the ipod connection only. The cable actually plugs into the BMW ipod adapter which is seen when you pull the head unit out. If you did not want ipod connectivity along with xm, you wouldn't have to run the cable that is part of SLD-03. It would be hard for me to tell you how to run the cable, as it was a lot of trial and error, mostly error, for me. I would suggest a local installation shop.

x3ronnie
11-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Running the cable from the back of the car to the back of the radio is for the ipod connection only. The cable actually plugs into the BMW ipod adapter which is seen when you pull the head unit out. If you did not want ipod connectivity along with xm, you wouldn't have to run the cable that is part of SLD-03. It would be hard for me to tell you how to run the cable, as it was a lot of trial and error, mostly error, for me. I would suggest a local installation shop.

I have looked on the Myradiostore site and can't seem to locate the SLD-03. I would like to get more info about this. Maybe you could post a link to this specific item. Thanks.

surgtech
11-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Try this.

http://www.myradiostore.com/bundles/car/in-dash---xm-direct/blitzsafe-sld03-ipod-xm-direct-bmw-mini-cooper.html

x3ronnie
11-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Thanks, that worked. I noticed that this is only the adapter and that the tuner is also required. From the site

Requires additional purchase of the XMD1000 XM Tuner to function.

That's another $69.99.

Thanks again for the info and link.

TheCritic
11-14-2008, 05:39 PM
So I sent a PM to NewMotors to find out if I'm pre-wired.

I'm sure this has been debated to death, but what's the best option TODAY that's most compatible with the merger and gives the better programming? What option integrates and works the best? I'd want it to use the sharkfin and show song data on screen... ('07 with NAV)

I'd be happy to be able to hear KCRW or a generic NPR feed all the way from work to home. That's priority number one. Maybe some Air America or Howard Stern, but probably not a lot. Some good music on a drive to Vegas.

surgtech
11-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Check closely, I am pretty sure that the tuner is included.

vince217
11-15-2008, 09:32 PM

ok, please correct me if im wrong... since my bmw is pre-wired for sat (i checked with my dealer) and has the oem ipod connector (ipodyourbmw) in the glove compartment, i would need the blitzsafe sld03. using the sld03 would require me to run a cable from the rear compartment (where the xm unit would be located) to the rear of the head unit in the dashboard.

if i am willing to sacrifice ipod connectivity, can i just purchase the sld01, or as you said, purchase the sld03 and just not run the cable to the back of the head unit?

thanks again, this forum has been a great help.

surgtech
11-16-2008, 10:29 AM
You are correct. Here is the deal. When you hook up your prewiring for sat radio, you have to unplug the wire from the ipod connector and plug in the sat radio wire. This part takes place at the head unit level. Because the sat radio adapter is now at the back of the vehicle, you need to reconnect the ipod adapter, which is behind the head unit. Hope this makes sense. If you wanted to forgo the ipod adapter, you would just use the sld-01, unplug the ipod connection at the head unit, plug in the sat wire that is already there, and install the xm tuner and blitzsafe adapter in the rear of the car. I hope this makes sense.

vince217
11-17-2008, 06:40 AM
thanks again for the info, surgtech!

i am placing an order today at myradiostore.com for the xm tuner, and an sld01. i dont want to spend almost $100 extra for the sld03, since i dont plan to connect an ipod once xm is installed. plus, i dont want to run a cable from the blitzsafe in the back to the ipod connector in the front.

when it comes time to sell (in the very distant future), i may just plug back the oem ipod connection or leave the xm connection as it is, depending on the buyer.

will try to take pics and place an update later this week. :)

TheCritic
11-19-2008, 07:06 AM
So I sent a PM to NewMotors to find out if I'm pre-wired.

I'm sure this has been debated to death, but what's the best option TODAY that's most compatible with the merger and gives the better programming? What option integrates and works the best? I'd want it to use the sharkfin and show song data on screen... ('07 with NAV)

I'd be happy to be able to hear KCRW or a generic NPR feed all the way from work to home. That's priority number one. Maybe some Air America or Howard Stern, but probably not a lot. Some good music on a drive to Vegas.

Bump?? Leaning toward XM, need to know if prewired... NewMotors, you out there?

skierbri10
11-19-2008, 03:27 PM
What exactly the difference between the XM version and the Sirius version, in regards to performance? Can you use the sirius antenna that is integrated in the sharkfin? How is the visual output on the BMW radio?

x3ronnie
11-19-2008, 05:28 PM
What exactly the difference between the XM version and the Sirius version, in regards to performance? Can you use the sirius antenna that is integrated in the sharkfin? How is the visual output on the BMW radio?

If you get XM Direct with the Blitzsafe adapter, and use the sat pre-wiring,you can use the sharkfin antenna. Any other XM set-up will probably not allow you to do it. The connection to the sharkfin is in the rear cargo area. Using the OEM Sirius will use the sharkfin by default. The display is not very good with XM, and a little better with Sirius. The Sirius display allows for scrolling text (non-nav) while the XM limits the display to ten characters. The best display would come from using a portable aftermarket unit (Roady etc). You have to choose between a cleaner looking install, or a more complete display.

TheCritic
11-19-2008, 05:44 PM
But what about those of us with Nav? Do we have no XM option?

x3ronnie
11-19-2008, 06:06 PM
But what about those of us with Nav? Do we have no XM option?

I'm pretty sure the XM Direct won't work with nav. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

skierbri10
11-19-2008, 07:42 PM
Does Sirius not make anything like the XM Direct? I know about the OEM version.

x3ronnie
11-20-2008, 04:46 AM
Does Sirius not make anything like the XM Direct? I know about the OEM version.

Well the whole idea behind things like XM Direct is that they are aftermarket workarounds. So I don't think anyone would make a Sirius workaround, when there is a plug and play (rather expensive) OEM solution. The OEM Sirius has no drawbacks that I'm aware of, except the price. Sometimes you can find one on Ebay.

vince217
11-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Update: I successfully installed the XMDirect and SLD01 to my X3!

It was actually easier than I thought, thanks to the informative posts on this thread as well as the youtube video on how to access the back of the radio head unit. I found the satellite connectors on 2005 BMW X3 (sat pre-wired, no nav) in the rear left panel in the trunk, just like Surgtech. Connecting the Blitzsafe to the BMW was easy, as was connecting the Blitzsafe to the XMDirect. I was a bit confused at first as to which connector was the antenna connector; thanks to Surgtech I found out it was the blue one with the pink accent. Filing down the XMDirect antenna connector was easy, and I was able to cover up the wires with the same velcro cover that.

After gaining access to the back of the radio, swapping wires was easy. In fact, the wire to the satellite radio was conveniently labeled 'SDARS', so there was no confusing it with any other wire. After swapping the wires at the back of the radio, i made a label of my own 'IPOD' and tied it around the wire for the Ipod, so that if ever I or someone were to change things in the back of the radio, it would be easy to figure out too.

Now my Ipod connection just acts as a charger, which is fine by me.

I can post some pictures if anyone wants to see them. :)

SpartanGA
09-25-2009, 01:06 PM
I am looking into this now as we may purchase a 2006 X3 with Sat factory prep but the dealer wants $900 to install the Sirius (which is insane but he claims is cost). I prefer Sirius, but could live with XM I would imagine.

Any other updates on this or other solutions? I noticed the SLD-01 and XMD1000 (refurb) are both $99 now..so $199 total for a non Ipod install.

What does the factory radio display? Just channel #s or does it list the channel name?

thx!

Denver61
09-25-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi Jim -

I just bought a 2006 CPO X3 and went thru this exercise. I thought about the XM Direct, but I don't like the single-line readout on the dashboard radio. I'm used to multiple lines of display (like on my since-traded Honda Pilot), where I can read the Artist, Track and station number on a single screen. I like to able to program favorite channels and do the other custom stuff you can do with an XM portable unit.

So I bought an XM Xpress EZ and had Best Buy do a custom install for about $100. Yeah, the wires come thru the front vent and partially blocks one of the front vents. But it looks good to me.

As I learned the other day, those front vents don't do much anyway and aren't a part of the Auto Climate Control system. So no real harm with the unit in front. And you can detach the unit and play it in your house if you want.

enamoured
09-25-2009, 02:01 PM
As I learned the other day, those front vents don't do much anyway and aren't a part of the Auto Climate Control system.

Who gave you that info? They are very much a part of climate control and they do send the hot/cold air out. That's what a vent is supposed to do anyway.

SpartanGA
09-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi Jim -

I just bought a 2006 CPO X3 and went thru this exercise. I thought about the XM Direct, but I don't like the single-line readout on the dashboard radio. I'm used to multiple lines of display (like on my since-traded Honda Pilot), where I can read the Artist, Track and station number on a single screen. I like to able to program favorite channels and do the other custom stuff you can do with an XM portable unit.

So I bought an XM Xpress EZ and had Best Buy do a custom install for about $100. Yeah, the wires come thru the front vent and partially blocks one of the front vents. But it looks good to me.

As I learned the other day, those front vents don't do much anyway and aren't a part of the Auto Climate Control system. So no real harm with the unit in front. And you can detach the unit and play it in your house if you want.

Can you post a picture of it installed? It would be greatly appreciated.

thx

Denver61
09-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Who gave you that info? They are very much a part of climate control and they do send the hot/cold air out. That's what a vent is supposed to do anyway.

Oh man, I really hate to subject the folks here to another climate control discussion.

My understanding is that the front vents are independent from the floor/side vents, so that you can get fresh cold air in the face while roasting your feet in the winter. Technically a part of the system, but not if you expect 80 degree heat coming out of the front vents in the winter when the system is at "auto".

I've reached my moment of "zen" with the climate control system. I can make it work even if I don't totally understand it.

And Jim, yes, I'll take a couple of pix for you.

enamoured
09-25-2009, 02:28 PM
I think you are intermixing the serrated wheel with climate control. Serrated wheel is only to control the amount of cold air mixed in the front-vents so that you don't toast your upper body. Keep it at neutral, and it will throw the air at same temp as other vents, turn it to red if you want hotter and to blue if you want colder. Simple. The 94 Mazda 626 beater I used to have had the same thing.

Denver61
09-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I think you are intermixing the serrated wheel with climate control. Serrated wheel is only to control the amount of cold air mixed in the front-vents so that you don't toast your upper body. Keep it at neutral, and it will throw the air at same temp as other vents, turn it to red if you want hotter and to blue if you want colder. Simple. The 94 Mazda 626 beater I used to have had the same thing.

Yeah, I finally figured that out. Every car I've ever had, when I hit the "heat" switch, I got heat from everywhere. Took me a bit to figure out the red/blue "wheel of fortune" on the X3. I don't like cool air in the face in the winter so I just partially close them. On "auto" with heat, I definitely don't get air at the same temp as the floor vents, so I close 'em.

Was just trying to say that in Colorado, l an XM radio unit partially blocking a front vent is not an issue.

rick chi-town-2
09-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm pretty sure the XM Direct won't work with nav. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Anybody with any further info on this XM direct unit working with nav? I've got my stiletto stuck to the side of the center stack and its making me crazy.... my OCD won't allow for things like that. Help, I need integration!

SpartanGA
10-08-2009, 04:26 PM
FYI, installed the XM unit in the back and it was incredibily easy.

I did have to pull the HU out to swap the plugs in the back, but after watching the youtube video a few times and taking my time, it was not difficult.

Plus I got the $77/year XM special.

farwellbooth
10-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Is the XM unit now available? Last I heard a new unit needed to be released to incorporate the additional stations of the XM Sirius merger?

SpartanGA
10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Is the XM unit now available? Last I heard a new unit needed to be released to incorporate the additional stations of the XM Sirius merger?

I got the XM unit from European Auto Source. I do not know if it will bring in Best of Sirius signals, but I didnt pay for that package. I just got all XM.