PDA

View Full Version : Chick car??

dashiell
01-27-2008, 08:42 PM
I have ordered my '08 X3 due in in about a month. Every guy I tell say's, "That's a chick car". I am 6'4", and I am coming out of an X5, maybe that has something to do with it. I'm wondering if other GUYS have heard this same thing, and what your opinions are.

gmlav8r
01-27-2008, 08:48 PM
NO, it is not.

orangedrink
01-27-2008, 08:50 PM
i dont think it is.

http://www.shorelinemotoring.com/images/SHORELINEX3_Featured-Thumb.jpg

hot_croc
01-27-2008, 08:57 PM
That's HOT!

Although I am a "girl" I say... just because it's smaller than most ridiculously over-sized SUVs, doesn't make it a chick car. It's a reasonable alternative for people who want a utilitarian vehicle that's not the size of a bus.

gmlav8r
01-27-2008, 09:07 PM
i dont think it is.

With that stuff hanging on it, maybe. :)

kjboyd
01-27-2008, 09:15 PM
god please don't start this bullsh*t again.

Rebound X3
01-27-2008, 09:24 PM

No kiddin' - what is it? Every six months or so? :dunno:

kjboyd
01-27-2008, 09:26 PM
some guy (not the OP) must have had his sexuality questioned ...

Bobert
01-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Put a gun rack in the back. Problem solved. :rofl:

ffej
01-27-2008, 09:34 PM
X3s aren't cars at all. :)

E46s are chick cars. just ask my wife.

Besides, if you're letting others' opinions of your car choice influence you, then it's not the car that's the problem. If BMW brought the specific model I want into the US, I'd be in a wagon. Not the manliest of vehicles - in the eyes of many - but my choice, for sure.

Rock'n R
01-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Haha, I have to agree with the above. 325xi is my wifes car. X3 is all mine. It goes every where I go; Snowboarding, Mtn. biking, Fly fishing, Camping and Back packing. It rocks.:thumbup:

hunterz4
01-27-2008, 10:25 PM
If you don't drive a black/black M5 you are probably driving a chick car. Which reminds me, you could have what is generally considered to be a non-chick car but get it in a color or with or without certain options and turn it into a chick car. It is tricky business for sure.

dspeed
01-27-2008, 10:41 PM
I've noticed that a lot of people are are not secure with their sexuality.

If you have to ask the question, I *strongly* suggest you buy a Corvette.

Maybe two....

[BSEG]

Dave

ffej
01-27-2008, 10:55 PM
If you have to ask the question, I *strongly* suggest you buy a Corvette.

Maybe two....
:bustingup

dashiell
01-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Nice responses, being new here, I didn't know this had been a topic(yes, I could have searched). Black/Black M5 is my dream car by the way. I was leaning toward the FX 35, but after driving the X3, I realised the BMW was better in every category except looks(my personal opinion), cup holders, and possibly reliability. Currently having an X5 it does sort of feel like a step down, but I like the smaller size, better handling, quicker, more maneuverable thing myself. I guess I ordered the BMW in spite of not being thrilled with the looks, and now I'm getting the "chick car" nonsense, and just I wanted some back-up. By the way, the fact that the X5 got bigger helped rule it out.

ffej
01-27-2008, 11:24 PM
Really, it's all about how you feel with the vehicle. The fact that you liked the size, handling, maneuverability of the smaller vehicle suggests that you'll be in an E30 M3 in about 17.5 months ;)

dashiell
01-27-2008, 11:35 PM
ffej, ot, where can I find a list of the model numbers with the corresponding years? You know, E30= 2008-2012 M3. And what is the correct terminology? Because I'm certain it isn't "model numbers". Thanks.

kjboyd
01-27-2008, 11:46 PM
E30 by the way was in the mid 80s-- 3 series.

ffej
01-28-2008, 12:05 AM
E30 by the way was in the mid 80s-- 3 series.

82-92 to be exact.

ffej, ot, where can I find a list of the model numbers with the corresponding years? You know, E30= 2008-2012 M3. And what is the correct terminology? Because I'm certain it isn't "model numbers". Thanks.

Actually, you can get a pretty accurate rundown of chassis designations...

right here :) (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)

It's not completely...er...complete, but it's pretty darn close.

dashiell
01-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Thanks.

Andrew*Debbie
01-28-2008, 06:27 AM
I'm wondering if other GUYS have heard this same thing, and what your opinions are.

Absolutely it is a chick car. You'd better give me your X3 and go order a 'vette.

===

Seriously, why should you care? Drive the car you want to drive.

J.D. Power numbers say just over half of X3 buyers are female. Doesn't bother me.

Andrew

STE92VE
01-28-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm getting the "chick car" nonsense, and just I wanted some back-up.
Next time someone mentions that you're driving a "chick car", give them this salute :flipoff:, and ask them which BMW are they driving....

UncleJ
01-28-2008, 09:48 AM
A "chick car", no way! A "chick car" is an RX300-series, THATS a chick car. BTW, my "chick" hates the X3, she says it rides like an unsprung farm truck. The REAL reason is it bounces around so much she can't drink her latte or put on her lipstick. Since I don't do either, and my spine has become fused together, it doesn't bother me anymore, and I can enjoy the crisp handling.

dug01
01-28-2008, 09:52 AM
I have ordered my '08 X3 due in in about a month. Every guy I tell say's, "That's a chick car". I am 6'4", and I am coming out of an X5, maybe that has something to do with it. I'm wondering if other GUYS have heard this same thing, and what your opinions are.

Not so--I see more women driving X5's than X3's--they need vehicles bigger than the X3--:yikes:

FireFly
01-28-2008, 10:15 AM
Not as bad as what my wife calls hers: Mr. Magoo Car :rofl:

But to answer your question, no the X3 is not a chick car.

phantombmw
01-28-2008, 11:42 AM
personally I think it is kind of a chick SUV, or SAV ;) Still a nice looking vehicle, just not very masculine looking for an SUV, but I've never been a fan of the X3 really in general.

Sans Nil
01-28-2008, 11:47 AM
I think people who associate a particular type of car with a gender need some help getting comfortable with their sexuality.

Now the color of a car, or the way someone drives -- that can definitely be tagged as one type of gender versus the other! ;)

For what it's worth, 3 out of 4 of the X3 drivers I see here on the roads here in LA are guys. I can't speak for those out in the sticks though. They're just lucky to have paved roads I think! :D

murmur11
01-28-2008, 02:40 PM

Once you pick up your new X3, give them a ride.

They will eventually shut up or at least stop calling it a chick car.

Good luck and enjoy your new X3! :)

X3 Skier
01-28-2008, 06:36 PM

+1000

BTW, who cares? Does it mean you have to wear lipstick and panty hose to drive an x3?:eek:

Cheers

orangedrink
01-28-2008, 08:00 PM
guys can wear g-strings too.

nyccarguy
01-28-2008, 09:57 PM
What kind of cars are your friends driving who are calling the X3 a chic car?

The X3 is my wife's car. Personally I don't care what other people think of what car I'm driving (are they making my lease payments for me? I think not!). Just move the shifter into DS (Sport Mode) and drop the hammer on your favorite entrance ramp:)

Mitch3672
01-28-2008, 10:10 PM
Chick car? Well I just recently got my 2nd, a 2007. My first was a 2005 bought in late 2004 and back then?... yeah maybe it was a bit of chick car next to the X5 and other SUVs.

But fast forward a few years and guess what? Fuel prices have soared, bigger is no long better (at least for most SUV needs), and the X3 I feel is now quite neutral in the war of the sexes. Men, sit tall, sit proud in your X3s.

Oh, BTW did I mention that I bought the X3 (again) for my wife... wouldn't catch me for dead being seen in one.... kidding!!... I'll drive it if she's in the car.... on the weekend, for groceries, never home depot... don't want to get my ass kicked...lol

orangedrink
01-28-2008, 10:29 PM
Chick car? Well I just recently got my 2nd, a 2007. My first was a 2005 bought in late 2004 and back then?... yeah maybe it was a bit of chick car next to the X5 and other SUVs.

But fast forward a few years and guess what? Fuel prices have soared, bigger is no long better (at least for most SUV needs), and the X3 I feel is now quite neutral in the war of the sexes. Men, sit tall, sit proud in your X3s.

Oh, BTW did I mention that I bought the X3 (again) for my wife... wouldn't catch me for dead being seen in one.... kidding!!... I'll drive it if she's in the car.... on the weekend, for groceries, never home depot... don't want to get my ass kicked...lol

haha home depot. how about lowes. i think we are ok there...

Ishniknork
01-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Once you pick up your new X3, give them a ride.

They will eventually shut up or at least stop calling it a chick car.

Good luck and enjoy your new X3! :)
Better yet...

Ask them to follow and keep up with you on a clover leaf in their Tahore/Cherrykee/Denial/Escapade/Exploder/Explodition/Deranged-o/FloorRunner... or whatever they have that they think is so much more a "Man Car". :thumbup:

hunterz4
01-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Now that we have gone down this road I have noticed that I primarily see females driving 6 series Bimmers especially the verts. Mrs. H loves the 6s. I guess the 6s are chick cars.:dunno:

dashiell
01-29-2008, 03:14 AM
I love the 6 series too.....what the hell, maybe I'm gay.

dashiell
01-29-2008, 03:15 AM
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

airboss1998
01-29-2008, 09:08 AM
A "chick car", no way! A "chick car" is an RX300-series, THATS a chick car. BTW, my "chick" hates the X3, she says it rides like an unsprung farm truck. The REAL reason is it bounces around so much she can't drink her latte or put on her lipstick. Since I don't do either, and my spine has become fused together, it doesn't bother me anymore, and I can enjoy the crisp handling.Ditto!

Too funny. I bought a used '06 X3 last month, also considered an 06 Lexus. The dealer (non-BMW) had an RX300, and when I told him I was considering a Lexus (negotiation time), he leaned over and said 'my mom just bought an RX330, they're kind of a girl's car....' :rofl:

hunterz4
01-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Ditto!

Too funny. I bought a used '06 X3 last month, also considered an 06 Lexus. The dealer (non-BMW) had an RX300, and when I told him I was considering a Lexus (negotiation time), he leaned over and said 'my mom just bought an RX330, they're kind of a girl's car....' :rofl:

Has anybody ever seen a man driving the RX 300. Not me, ever. :)

Now I have my issues too. As you can see from my sig. (I am not hiding anything) I ended up with a 3.0 X5 instead of the 4.8. Definitely looked down on, especially on the X5 boards.

And my 530i is a stick, sport and a great car but look at that color. Amythest Gray - what's that? Alot a people like the car and it looks good to me but when my 15 yr old daughter first saw it she said it was the worst color for a car she has ever seen. :rofl:

Finally, to make matters worse, Mrs. H goes to the dealership to look at a used 5 series that was advertised. She comes home with a new Z4 roadster - it is also a stick, but the first thing I notice is that it's Malvides blue, please give me a black or gray, then I see it's a 2.5 and not a 3.0. Testosterone challenged again.:)

When all is said and done though, you get behind the wheel and drive, because that's what it's all about and no other car gives you the same feeling, no other drives better so who really cares? I could be driving a Lexus.

archrenov8
01-29-2008, 02:48 PM
I have always thought of the RX series as a girl's car, although I do see men driving them.

Mitch3672
01-29-2008, 04:01 PM
Dodge Magnum.... now that's a chick car ;)

Evlengr
01-29-2008, 05:12 PM
My wife always likes to point out how the Miata or MX-5 is such a "Chick Car" yet 90% of the time I see a guy driving it.

Then again an Elise would be a chick car too right, Lol.

nyccarguy
01-29-2008, 08:16 PM
My buddy had an E46 M3 Convertible in South Florida and had to get rid of it when his wife got pregnant. He ended up getting her an RX350. He won't drive it, makes her drive everywhere.

orangedrink
01-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Has anybody ever seen a man driving the RX 300. Not me, ever. :)

Dave Chappelle drives an RX300.... :beerchug:

hunterz4
01-29-2008, 10:49 PM
Dave Chappelle drives an RX300.... :beerchug:

I am having trouble visualizing that one. One of the funniest comedians going that's for sure.

gotoschoolhere
01-29-2008, 11:19 PM
I am having trouble visualizing that one. One of the funniest comedians going that's for sure.

I have seen him in one :p, in person at that. He is extremely funny, I agree. Actually a lot funnier during live stand up.

dashiell
01-30-2008, 01:43 AM
I have seen his act several times over the last 10 years, he might be the best live stand-up ever. I haven't seen him in a Lexus though. I did hear someone give a brilliant description of why he is so good, "He tells funny". Simple but very true.

airboss1998
01-30-2008, 07:00 AM
I have a friend, MEGA car-dealer, who owns Audi, Ford, GMC, Honda, Jaguar, Kia, Land Rover, Lexus, Mazda, Nissan, Pontiac, Porsche, Scion, Subaru, Toyota, Volkswagon and Volvo dealerships. :yikes: He was driving a Lexus RX400h, now an RX350.

He doesn't own any BMW dealerships. :dunno:

hunterz4
01-30-2008, 09:17 AM
No Porsche?

airboss1998
01-30-2008, 10:41 AM
No Porsche?Well, I should disclose, he is over 70.

Really nice guy. I was flying with him one day, we were talking about cars, he mentioned that he was getting a new car 'to play with'. He had been somewhere, had lunch with Jack Roush, and that Jack had asked him if he wanted any of his cars (they sell them in his Ford dealership)? My friend told him, 'yeah, I like your new Mustang convertible'. Roush responded, 'you're killing me, those things are like gold.'

A couple days later, my friend got a call from someone at Roush, asking what color car he wanted. He asked him, 'what are you talking about?'. They told him, "Mr. Roush just told us to give you the next convertible slot...what color do you want'.

Must be nice to drive/afford whatever you want.

Zeke77
01-30-2008, 04:58 PM
I currently own three BMW's: 2004 X5.4.4, 2006 650vert, and a 2008 X3 3.0.

As I was climbing into the X3 the other day, my incredibly hot 25-year old neighbor (who has never before said a word to me) said "Wow, that is such a cool car. I like it much better than those other cars your brother drives. But I guess he likes them because he is older."

Huh? What? I don't have a brother...I'm the same guy she's been seeing drive each one of our cars. I guess in some circles, the X3 just makes you look younger and more appealing ;-)

BTW, my wife is now complaining that I drive the X3 waaay too much.;-)

hunterz4
01-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Well, I should disclose, he is over 70.

Really nice guy. I was flying with him one day, we were talking about cars, he mentioned that he was getting a new car 'to play with'. He had been somewhere, had lunch with Jack Roush, and that Jack had asked him if he wanted any of his cars (they sell them in his Ford dealership)? My friend told him, 'yeah, I like your new Mustang convertible'. Roush responded, 'you're killing me, those things are like gold.'

A couple days later, my friend got a call from someone at Roush, asking what color car he wanted. He asked him, 'what are you talking about?'. They told him, "Mr. Roush just told us to give you the next convertible slot...what color do you want'.

Must be nice to drive/afford whatever you want.

Over 70 and owns the dealership, he can drive whatever he wants. Roush Mustang, I have seen a couple in Sac and a friend of a friend has one he takes to the track (Infineon). Plus if a guy flies a plane, imo, you get a pass on the whole chick car nonsense.

STE92VE
01-30-2008, 05:09 PM
As I was climbing into the X3 the other day, my incredibly hot 25-year old neighbor (who has never before said a word to me) said "Wow, that is such a cool car. I like it much better than those other cars your brother drives. But I guess he likes them because he is older."

Huh? What? I don't have a brother...I'm the same guy she's been seeing drive each one of our cars. I guess in some circles, the X3 just makes you look younger and more appealing ;-)

BTW, my wife is now complaining that I drive the X3 waaay too much.;-)

Would your neighbor be a blond by any chance? :D

NetSpySD
01-30-2008, 05:12 PM
The Lexus Rx350/400h looks liks the biggest chick car to me along with the Lexus SC lady bug thing. Very fem looking.

However, about 60% of the RX buyers are men. :dunno:

The X3 is far from a chick car.

A chick car usually has a wood steering wheel.

keithsimp
01-30-2008, 07:49 PM
The Lexus Rx350/400h looks like the biggest chick car to me along with the Lexus SC lady bug thing. Very fem looking.

However, about 60% of the RX buyers are men. :dunno:

The X3 is far from a chick car.

A chick car usually has a wood steering wheel.

Yes that's what bugged me when I test drove a RX, the wood steering wheel. Very cold and hard to the touch, not warm and firm like either of the X series. I was even wearing gloves (it was cold that day) and the damn thing was slippery. Plus the Heated steering wheel thing on the X3 will rock during the winter. :)

MC-X3
02-01-2008, 12:04 AM
According to my wife, our '06 M with sport pkg. is a manly car.

dicor
02-01-2008, 06:06 AM
Here's a pix of my Wife taking the X3 to the mall. :rofl:

Xringer
02-01-2008, 06:48 AM
Like this one..

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f147/Xringer/B004ms.jpg

To be safe, be sure to get an 06 or newer. Those are all Guy cars! :thumbup:

I was out on Rt-3 yesterday morning and I passed a Chick in her silver X3..
Was I imagining things, or is my little 99 Honda CRV bigger than the X3?
Maybe it was an optical illusion.?.

HEY! I just realized that I'm the only male CRV owner at work!!
(And there are over a dozen in the parking lot)!!

Oh well, never mind..

Cheers,
Rich