PDA

View Full Version : scratches on stainless watches...

jeff330i
01-28-2008, 11:19 PM
i got a nice watch recently, and it has a polished stainless steel band and bezel. However, in two weeks of wearing it it's considerably scratched up especially on the palmar side where i'm assuming it rests on my desk. I'm pretty upset about it because the watch was really hard to get and I never noticed the scratches until today when someone pointed them out. They're not deep, but i'm assuming they can appear VERY easily.

two questions:
1) can these be buffed out in any way? (I know nothing about watches, so forgive me if this is a dumb question)
2) i'm sure people have watches that are shiny stainless, how do you minimize the scratches?

axhoaxho
01-29-2008, 05:40 AM
Some information, hope it helps...

With best regards,
- Alex.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=2143&rid=0

Full text:

DO-IT-YOURSELF TIPS: Removing minor scratches from SS finishes.

Like wrinkles on your face, scratches on your watch give it character. But not everybody is philosophical about such things. I dont mind scratches that I put on a watch myself but feel a compulsion to remove scratches that I inherit from others on a second-hand watch. It makes little sense, but thats how it is. So if suddenly you feel an irresistible urge to remove scratches from your stainless-steel (SS) watches yourself, here are some tips.

There is no universal way to repair, clean, or polish all SS surfaces: you must use different methods for different finishes. They are not without risk, the only safe way being to send the watch to a jeweler. But if you are adventurous and persistent, the results can be very rewarding.

POLISHED SS

1. For fine scratches, Ive found that nothing beats a jewelers cloth, like the Pioneer/Shino Polishing Cloth available from most watch suppliers for $3.60. It is a double cloth. The inner cloth is impregnated with a red polishing powder (ferric oxide or rouge, i.e., your common rust). The outer cloth protects your hand from the nasty red stain and is also used to give the final polish. This jewelers polishing cloth works even better on gold. You may also use Sylvet washable (S. LaRose & Co. in Greensboro, NC; www.slarose.com) or the double sided jewelers cloth typically sold in drug stores. The only other tools you need are elbow grease and common sense.

2. For deep scratches, use Never-Dull--great name, isnt it?--usually sold in drug stores and hardware stores. Never-Dull is cotton impregnated with a strong cleaner/polisher. It has an unpleasant smell (like the polishing compound for cars) but works fast, leaving behind only faint scratches that can be removed with a jewelers cloth. And presto, youve got a mirror finish! Well, not quite.

CAVEAT: You will always leave microscopic scratches on a highly polished SS (or gold) surface. These ultra-fine scratches are visible only in bright light and from a certain angle. The only perfect finish Ive seen is a factory finish. Even jobs done by jewelers are still inferior to the factory mirror finish. I don't know why.

BRUSHED SS

1. To remove fine scratches, use a jewelers cloth. Be GENTLE or you will put a shine on the finish, which will not quite match the brushed look. If that happens, you can put the brushed finish back on by following Step 3 below.

2. For scratches over a small area, use a fiber-glass brush (e.g. the German-made Eurotool sold by watch-tool suppliers). It looks like a mechanical pencil with a bundle of glass fibers instead of lead that can be dispensed from the tip. You brush this glass-fiber tip on the SS surface to remove the scratches and to create a new brush finish. I would not recommend using this tool over a large area because the brush strokes tend to be uneven, especially around curves, though you can get better with practice. WARNING: The broken fiber glass on your skin can cause unpleasant itches. Wear a thin latex glove and use a brush to remove fiber-glass debris from your watch after repair.

3. For scratches over a large area, use a Styrofoam block made for polishing finger nails (sold in beauty supply store). Each block is about an inch thick and 3 inches long. Its surface is impregnated with a very fine abrasive material. Brush gently with the grain to remove the scratches and to blend the new brush strokes with the original ones. I prefer this Styrofoam block to sand paper or steel wool as it is easy to grip and to maneuver. The soft Styrofoam also conforms to curved surfaces and is very forgiving. With patience, you can even remove deep dents and reshape small parts safely with this Styrofoam polisher.

SAND-BLAST SS

Leave it alone! Even fine jewelers cloth will still put a slight shine on the finish, which ruins it in my opinion. Get this finish re-done by professionals.

FINAL COMMENTS

Above tips are for repairing minor scratches which are annoying to you but not worth a trip to your local watchmaker/jeweler, or shipping out the watch. If you are careful and patient, the results can be very satisfying. I invariably found that my appreciation of a watch increases after such a repair work. But to restore the whole watch, often a necessity when you dabble in vintage watches, I found it best to send the watch out to professionals with the right tools and skills for the job. Jack Freedman can tell you many amusing stories about watches in dire need of his surgical skills after the do-it-yourself watch restorers discovered the limits of their own skills.

Justin Time

mullman
01-29-2008, 05:42 AM
On a polished bracelet use a Cape-Cod cloth and it will return the bracelet to the original perfect luster.
If you are attempting doing this on a Rolex or similar band with only polished center links and brushed outer links, use a Q-tip to only rub the inner links and tape off the outer with thin tape.

For a brushed bracelet I gently go over it with a green 3M scotch-brite pad to remove the large scratches, then #0000 steel wool to give it a nice even brushed look.

Please note that both of these methods, and any metal polishing, is actually removing metal.
This is something you do not want to do on a very regular basis as you are actually making your watch bracelet disappear.
I only do this before selling a watch or after every few years of use.

Spill the beans! What did you get? :)

Patrick
01-29-2008, 05:58 AM
I have to admit that my Super Avenger looks like it has been through a war zone. I seem to bang it on everything, and no wonder. It is rather heavy. :eek:

Double-S
01-29-2008, 06:06 AM
I have to admit that my Super Avenger looks like it has been through a war zone. I seem to bang it on everything, and no wonder. It is rather heavy. :eek:

So that's what you Finns are calling it nowadays.

Patrick
01-29-2008, 06:09 AM
So that's what you Finns are calling it nowadays.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29762&d=1083401768

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=29763&d=1083401768

Yep.

mullman
01-29-2008, 06:12 AM
Nice Patrick!

Patrick
01-29-2008, 06:14 AM
Nice Patrick!

Thanks! I haven't worn it in two months... :(

jeff330i
01-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Spill the beans! What did you get? :)

stainless daytona. lots of little scratches in just over week of use :(

mullman
01-29-2008, 06:10 PM
stainless daytona. lots of little scratches in just over week of use :(

It is not that hard to get if you are patient.
A family member has several, although my fav are the manual wind 1970s models.
I have bought 4 watches from the same AD (Rlx authorized dealer) and they said they could deliver a new Daytona at MSRP within two months.
After wearing a triple Rlx signed Tudor Chrono for 20 yrs (that I sold for 4x purchase price) I realized I never time anything where I need more accuracy than a rotatable bezel.
I just rarely used the stop watch function.

Follow my post and you can fix the clasp scratch in short order if you wish.

But being honest, a watch is to wear. The small scratches over time will make a nice patina of your adventures.
Then on your 5 year service at your local Rolex Service Center (RSC), they will return it in as new condition.
I have used the NYC RSC 5x but I am sure the Beverly Hills RSC is just as proficient.
If you are really anal you can drop off the watch at Rlx in Geneva, I did that once.

Enjoy your watch and wear it in good health!
It is gorgeous and the black face would also be my preference.

FWIW I added a new GMT-II Ceramic to my small collection on 11.29 and I have scratched it quite a bit already.
I am not fretting, it is a watch, not a Faberge' Egg ;)

Lastly, in case you are not already a member, I love these two sites for Rlx watches:

http://www.rolexforums.com/index.php

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=threadt&frm_id=27

jeff330i
01-29-2008, 08:56 PM
i do understand scratches happen. But i cannot ever see myself justifying/affording another nice watch again, so I want this to be my only timepiece I enjoy. I had no idea they got this scratched up. so on the 5 year services they actually rebuff the watches? that would be great because i can definitely bet within a couple years there won't be much shine left to the shiny parts. How much does the 5 year service cost?

mullman
01-30-2008, 05:18 AM
i do understand scratches happen. But i cannot ever see myself justifying/affording another nice watch again, so I want this to be my only timepiece I enjoy. I had no idea they got this scratched up. so on the 5 year services they actually rebuff the watches? that would be great because i can definitely bet within a couple years there won't be much shine left to the shiny parts. How much does the 5 year service cost?

It will be returned to you in 'as new' condition.
Usually in the $500-600 range.

Wear it in good health - beautiful piece :thumbup:

mullman
01-30-2008, 05:26 AM
my fav are the manual wind 1970s models.

Found a pic, this is my grail watch (the one you want and can never obtain) :rofl:

TimeZone Antiquorum lot 181 [Estimate: 20,000 USD - 25,000 USD] :yikes:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t245/Wiseled/daytona_6263_attrib.jpg