PDA

View Full Version : Time to Play - Truth or BS

keithsimp
01-31-2008, 03:57 PM
I was calling around to see what it's going to cost me to have the windows tinted on the X3 I've got ordered. One question I had for all the installers was "Can you do the panoramic roof?" All of them except one said yes they can do it. This one installer said that if they did do the panoramic roof that they could not be responsible for the roof EXPLODING! :yikes:
He said that too much heat will build up on the roof and the glass could explode or shatter.....
Is this Truth or BS??????????

I've never heard of this before has anyone else? Has anyone had their X3 roof tinted?

philippek
01-31-2008, 04:21 PM
Moonroof explosions are not entirely unheard of. Just do a search and you'll find a few stories here. Not confined to a single model or years, sometimes covered by warranty sometimes not. Never heard about the connection to tinting and/or heat.

STE92VE
02-01-2008, 06:45 AM
2 questions:

Isn't the glass of the panoramic roof already tinted?

....and if so. why would you want to add more tint to the panoramic roof when all you have to do is close the sunshade to keep the interior cooler?

keithsimp
02-01-2008, 07:18 AM
I didn't think it was. But now that you mentioned it I can't remember, from my test drives. If it is then your right I won't be tinting.
Question for X3 owners: Is the panoramic roof tinted?

I had thought I read somewhere here that someone had tinted their roof. I may have to do another search.

Sonoman707
02-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Mine is tinted (from the factory). No uber dark - but tinted.

Sans Nil
02-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Ditto to Sonoman, and well put. ;)