PDA

View Full Version : NAV System

tonygreggaz
02-02-2008, 06:01 AM
Hi. I am getting closer to ordering my 2008 X3 after coming off a 2006 lease. The lease car did not have NAV and I am going back and forth if it is worth it. I know the BMW technology is a bit behind the times, with no touch screen or voice though the integration is nice. The other option is to have an after market installed into the compartment on the dash where the NAV would be.

Please let me know your thoughts on the current X3 NAV if I factory order or if you have gone the after market route how that has worked and what specific brands used.

I appreciate it...just want to make sure I get the order 100% perfect.

Thanks!

archrenov8
02-02-2008, 06:11 AM
I am interested as well. I am about to order my first X3, coming from an '04 VW Touareg, with a CD based Nav system, that i would judge to be OK, but painfully slow. No touch screen, but with voice instructions (which are only welcome initially), but nice integration with the MFI (cluster interface).

Placing my order on Monday, most likely.

dug01
02-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Hi. I am getting closer to ordering my 2008 X3 after coming off a 2006 lease. The lease car did not have NAV and I am going back and forth if it is worth it. I know the BMW technology is a bit behind the times, with no touch screen or voice though the integration is nice. The other option is to have an after market installed into the compartment on the dash where the NAV would be.

Please let me know your thoughts on the current X3 NAV if I factory order or if you have gone the after market route how that has worked and what specific brands used.

I appreciate it...just want to make sure I get the order 100% perfect.

Thanks!
You have justify the cost of the option against a $300 to $400 portable that will outperform the factory unit and probaly cost less to update--also for $400 you can get a portable with a bigger screen than the factory, touch screen --more color and more voice options--plus traffic alerts etc. that BMW don't offer--and built-in bluetooth. I have the factory nav and its OK but not worth $1800! :yikes: Do a search and see how some X3'ers installed a portable in the dash cubby--:thumbup:

b-y
02-02-2008, 01:31 PM
You'll get a variety of opinions, but ultimately no one can tell you what is best for you. Here are a few points to consider:

The factory NAV is DVD-based, not CD. It is not "slow" by my standards.
There are almost NO options for an after-market BUILT-IN system. Portables work OK, but the i-bus design eliminates most built-ins as an alternative.
The BMW factory system makes it simple to keep guidance on, but without the voice prompts.
The "split-screen" mode is quite nice.

I suggest you try one for a few days and see what you think.