PDA

View Full Version : Burning smell of oil coming out of vents inside of car

flyboyy
02-02-2008, 09:34 AM
I have burning smell of oil coming from the vents inside of the car, the problem is it happens whenever it wants, so far It has happen about 3 times, after a while of driving, maybe 5 minutes the burning smell will disappear.

I did get a S.E.S light come on few times as well in the past, I took the car to Autozone and they read the code as Spark plug misfire error code.

my car was shaking alot once it started up in the morning, but after driving a little bit the car felt like normal again, the S.E.S light stayed on for a few hours of driving without any problems, I then turn off the car because I had to goto the store to buy something and when I came back out, I started the car and it was fine, the light was off, and everything was normal again.

anyone experience smell of burning oil from the vents inside ? or experience the same problem that I am having ? any opinion would be helpful, what should I do next ? Thanks.

btw I have a 2003 530i with about 53k miles on it.

lild
02-02-2008, 11:20 AM
you got an oil leak. the vlave cover needs to be replaced.oil is leaking onto your exusht which is why your getting the oil smell in the car. and the shaking is comimg from oil getting into the cyl. and on the spark plugs. it is a common problem on these cars. use the serch engine and look up oil leaks or valve cover replacement

dboy11
02-02-2008, 11:27 AM
you got an oil leak. the vlave cover needs to be replaced.oil is leaking onto your exusht which is why your getting the oil smell in the car. and the shaking is comimg from oil getting into the cyl. and on the spark plugs. it is a common problem on these cars. use the serch engine and look up oil leaks or valve cover replacement

Plus on this!!

Do a search on valve cover gaskets for the e39 there are plenty of DYI on the subject

poolman
02-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Here's a good how too on doing your valve cover along with ---well---read the whole write up--
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure.htm

1bad540
02-02-2008, 12:15 PM
could also be the oil seperator, have a good shop check it so youdont waste $$ on nothing:thumbup:

poolman
02-03-2008, 04:20 AM
If it were the crankcase vent valve-he would not smell oil inside the car--he has an oil leak
that is being oxidized and then floated into the cabin--hence the valve cover gasket
shows a great perpencity for chance------

devroots
02-03-2008, 06:11 AM
Plus on this!!

Do a search on valve cover gaskets for the e39 there are plenty of DYI on the subject

+2 on this I had the very same symptoms with my 528 & it turned out to be the valve cover gasket too.

Steve530
02-03-2008, 07:57 AM
First, check your oil level. If you have a leak, the level might be low and that's not good.

I replaced the valve cover gasket on my 2001 530i a few months ago. The odor was the first thing I noticed. The oil leaks out around the cover, drips onto the exhaust manifold, and burns. If you look at the exhaust manifold, you may find oil stains. In my case the leak was worse after driving hard. I think the increased engine speed raises the level of oil under the valve cover above the gasket.

The gasket I replaced was very brittle. It came off in one piece, but broke in half when I held it in my hands. Replacement was easy and just about any BMW I6 DIY will give you enough information to do the job.

Here's a few tips:

Get a good low range torque wrench and torque the bolts in stages. You want the pressure on the cover to be uniform around the circumference.

When you buy the gasket, get a the seals for the bolts. I think you can re-use the seals (I did), but if you find one that you need to replace, you can't finish the job. I'd probably buy a few spares, but some people just replace them all.

Apply sealant where the DIY instructs and wait a couple of minutes for it set.

1bad540
02-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Definately replace the seals around the bolts otherwise your doing it for nothing, those seals are just as old and you want an even seal around...

turbobladz
02-03-2008, 10:44 AM
yup 100percent valve cover gasket, happened to me , the dealer replaced it under warranty

flyboyy
09-26-2008, 06:16 PM
how much is to replace valve cover gasket ? and the seals around the bolts ? from an indy shop ?

I get this burning oil intermitten...it does not happen all the time.... its like..really werid.. i did not get it for a while...and today i got the burning smell again......

Vadim540i
09-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Replace your valve cover gaskets.

lild
09-26-2008, 09:39 PM
he already knows

gtxragtop
09-27-2008, 05:20 AM
Common problem. It tends to leak externally on the pass side outside corners. Especially the rear corner. I just did mine for this exact reason. It was only seeping, never enough to create a spot on the driveway. Never enough to lower the oil level. Drove me mad for months due to being so intermittent. It was there when I bought the car from BMW dealer. I brought it back and they did not find this, but thought it was a leak on the oil filter housing which they replaced. Another reason dealers suck... (A) common problem with I6 E39 (B) did not look close enough to realize what the issue was. Despite this being a CPO, I replaced it myself. Wanted it done right. YOU MUST HAVE an inch pound torque wrench to do the job properly.

Hah, your next common issue will be the rear door vapor barriers (sound insulation) on the rear doors. One day after a driving rain you will have damp or soaked rear floors.