PDA

View Full Version : 2010 BMW X3 II review

torres1
02-02-2008, 01:50 PM
"BMW will launch the next generation X3 in 2010. BMW will move the production of its X3 SUV from Austria to South Carolina, USA. Next to its standard competitors, like Touareg, the 2010 X3 will get a new competitor starting 2009 when Mercedes will launch the GLK, but also the all new Infiniti EX..."

This is from a new review on 2010 BMW X3 II, from Top Speed. It includes info on the design, safety and performance of the model, as well as other features. Also available is a wallpaper / photo gallery.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/2010-bmw-x3-ii-ar48761/IMG/jpg/e/BMW_X3_II_S_TS_01_03_copyw.jpg

Here is the link to the full article:
2010 BMW X3 II - Top Speed (http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/2010-bmw-x3-ii-ar48761.html)

And the link to the picture gallery:
2010 BMW X3 II wallpapers and high resolution photos - Top Speed (http://www.topspeed.com/cars/bmw/2010-bmw-x3-ii-ar48761/pictures.html)

STE92VE
02-02-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the links.:thumbup:

X3 Skier
02-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks, looks much better than the current design to me.

orangedrink
02-02-2008, 06:10 PM
looks good. but the headlight have to change.

hot_croc
02-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Startin' to look like all the other 'tennis shoe' SUVs out there (RDX, Murano, etc.). :rolleyes:

Andrew*Debbie
02-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Startin' to look like all the other 'tennis shoe' SUVs out there (RDX, Murano, etc.). :rolleyes:

Those aren't real. The only credible spy shot I've seen is of a heavily cladded car with different shape. The rear glass is raked a lot more. I suspect the real 2010 X3 will be take its styling cues from the X6.

thebmw
02-02-2008, 09:37 PM
One thing is for sure, the new X3 can't look any worse than the current one. Just as bad, maybe, but not worse! If Audi keeps coming out with their new aggressive styling on the Q5, I don't see a reason to buy an X3 given all the problems with it. Maybe BMW will get it right on the next X3, but just like tne new X5, they'll have a year or two to fix details (like the ever so unnecessary transmission)!

lilskel
02-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Either way, whatever it looks like, if it's built in SC I won't be getting it...looks like 2008 will be my 3rd and final X3 from Munich

STE92VE
02-08-2008, 05:18 AM
If Audi keeps coming out with their new aggressive styling on the Q5
Oh, this is a real beauty? : puke: That grill ruins it for me....
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/autoreview/400x266/2009-Audi-Q5-09601161990001.jpg

archrenov8
02-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Exactly. The Audi corporate grills just don't work well on the tall SUV's, but they are fine on the saloons and Avants, even the current All Road (Europe only).

The problem is, one face cannot work on all models. At least not that face.

UncleJ
02-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Well, beauty certainly is in the eye of the beholder. I like the Audi grille a lot. To each his own.

LMC
02-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Either way, whatever it looks like, if it's built in SC I won't be getting it...looks like 2008 will be my 3rd and final X3 from Austria

Fixed your post. :D

Mitch3672
02-08-2008, 12:25 PM
Either way, whatever it looks like, if it's built in SC I won't be getting it...looks like 2008 will be my 3rd and final X3 from Munich

Uh, ha. Well make that Graz, Austria by Magna, a Canadian Company. Munich is only where your money went.;)

Andrew*Debbie
02-08-2008, 01:06 PM

Are you talking about Munich pick up? The X3 isn't built in Munich.

Austria aside, why not? Some of the most reliable BMWs sold in the US are built at the South Carolina plant.

lilskel
02-08-2008, 01:20 PM
I mean Munich euro delivery..I would have to be pretty lazy to get an X3 the conventional way

TexRob
02-08-2008, 01:28 PM
I think it's ignorant to not want to buy one just because it will be assembled stateside. SC build means they can build it cheaper, which means they can add more bells and whistles and remain competitively priced. I was originally opposed to the notion of an SC build, but that is a "Made In the USA" I can get behind. A German designed and engineered car made by good old US citizens. Supporting the USA while still getting something much better than an American car.

TexRob
02-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Not really clear if it is a MY2010, or where any of this info is from. I hope it is MY2010 with delivery of first models available in late 2009 (when my wife's lease is up). I also hope it's not just speculation about the 3.0 turbo engine. It is the perfect engine for the X3, as it has great torque. It will destroy the 3.0si we currently have.

Evlengr
02-08-2008, 03:03 PM
I think it's ignorant to not want to buy one just because it will be assembled stateside. SC build means they can build it cheaper, which means they can add more bells and whistles and remain competitively priced. I was originally opposed to the notion of an SC build, but that is a "Made In the USA" I can get behind. A German designed and engineered car made by good old US citizens. Supporting the USA while still getting something much better than an American car.

Yes they can build it cheaper.

And built cheaper means higher profit margin not better pricing.

Andrew*Debbie
02-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Not really clear if it is a MY2010, or where any of this info is from.

It is speculation and a fake photo based on the few known facts.

As far as I know, these are the known facts:

BMW AG has announced there will be a new X3 based on the e90 3 series platform.

There are year-old photos of an e92 3 series wagon body sitting on what is likely the next gen X3 chassis. The test mule in the photos is wider than a standard e92 wagon.

There is one set of photos of a heavily camouflaged BMW SAV. That 4-door car has a steeply raked rear hatch. Most people are saying it is the next X3, but it is remotely possible it is the unannounced X1.

The BMW plant in South Carolina has begun work to built the next gen X3.

Powerplants are a guess although it seems very likely the X3 will use powertrains from next year's face lifted e90 3 series. The twin-turbo 3.0L 6 is possible. I suspect the US market will get a diesel and possibly the new hybrid. The US market won't get the twin-turbo start-stop diesel 'hybrid' because the AC doesn't run when the engine is stopped.

Andrew*Debbie
02-08-2008, 03:37 PM

+1

Pricing is set by the the market and where BMW NA wants to position the car.

I wonder if the labor costs to assemble an X5 are lower than a Explorer.

FWIW am all for BMW assembling more cars in the US even if that means we don't get to pick up the next car in Munich.

thebmw
02-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Oh, this is a real beauty? : puke: That grill ruins it for me....
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/autoreview/400x266/2009-Audi-Q5-09601161990001.jpg

The renditions I saw of the Q5 were a little prettier than that one! But I'd still get that rendition over the current X3. I'm not an Audi fan, but after seeing the S5, 2009 A4, and the R8 in person, they are on a roll with styling. And their interiors are much better than BMW (heck, almost anyone is)! Interestingly, the X6 and the 1 series really don't stand out in person like the new Audis. But alas, to each his own.

archrenov8
02-08-2008, 10:15 PM
I love all of the new Audi's except for the SUV's. There are some nice details on the Q7, but they got the massing and bulk wrong, IMHO.

Bangle finally made good on the X5 with the last redesign, making it bigger, but not making it look awkward.

TexRob
02-08-2008, 10:20 PM

I should have said possibly, rather than make it sound like they will. Sure, they could just pocket it, but most car companies don't work that way, greed or not. They want to balance value and profit, so being built stateside should at least offer something to us, be it not raising the price even though it is likely to have a more powerful engine, or by offering better standard options. Time will tell.

lilskel
02-09-2008, 02:57 AM
I think it's ignorant to not want to buy one just because it will be assembled stateside.

That's not it...if they built it here and shipped it to MUC for ED then shipped back here I would happily get another one. The whole point is Euro Delivery; not go-to-your-local-BMW-stealer-and-get-a-fancy bmw-delivery

archrenov8
02-09-2008, 06:29 AM
That's not it...if they built it here and shipped it to MUC for ED then shipped back here I would happily get another one. The whole point is Euro Delivery; not go-to-your-local-BMW-stealer-and-get-a-fancy bmw-delivery

Not very environmentally green, to truck it to a port, ship it across the Atlantic to Germany, truck it to the ED spot, you pick it up and drive it around, then have it shipped back across the Atlantic and trucked back to you again.

But hey, it is your money.

MMME30W
02-09-2008, 06:40 AM
Either way, whatever it looks like, if it's built in SC I won't be getting it...looks like 2008 will be my 3rd and final X3 from Austria

Fixed yer post! :D

STE92VE
02-09-2008, 09:20 AM
I mean Munich euro delivery..I would have to be pretty lazy to get an X3 the conventional way

The whole point is Euro Delivery; not go-to-your-local-BMW-stealer-and-get-a-fancy bmw-delivery

PCD is not a bad option either.

lilskel
02-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Just saying I love Euro Delivery too much to give it up and schlep over to the local dealer just to get a BMW or X3...because I would probably get an Audi if that were the case

STE92VE
02-09-2008, 02:58 PM
ED is definitely a great program. I was surprised when I asked a Land Rover dealer about it and they said they don't offer it.

pdxgrease
02-12-2008, 03:46 AM
well i guess. the range topper for europe is the twin turbo diesel. which has way more torque than the gasser and much better economy. The twin charge gas engine pushing the weight of the x3 wil get crappy mileage. Why not give up .7 seconds in speed for 30% better gas mileage?

Andrew*Debbie
02-12-2008, 06:37 AM

+1. The next X3 will cost more, not less. Bigger car. I wouldn't be surprised to see a jump like we saw from the e46 to the e90 3 series.

The X1 is going to fill the price slot currently held by the X3.

Surprisingly the rumor is the next Z4 will be a less expensive car.

Mitch3672
02-12-2008, 07:41 AM
I got to say that I hope the next X3 looks like this for real. It is a very good looking car, and a worthy next generation design based just on this limited picture.:)

Andrew*Debbie
02-13-2008, 10:33 AM
I just read through the training manual for the e82 1 series coupes.

It is posted here:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4301

Like the new 1 series, the next X3 will be based off of the e90 platform.

This is a good preview of what to expect on the next X3.

A few things I noted:

A variety of high strength steels used in combination for lower weight and better crash safety.
Better DSC. The DSC on the 135i can simulate a locking differential. The fault code memory is improved too.
The 5-link rear axle from the e90. Made wider by pushing the hubs out.
Front suspension from the e90. Most of the parts are identical. Only the sway-bar, springs and shocks are different.
The interface box from the e90. Better iPod integration. Better bluetooth.
Seats from the e90 3 series.
Comfort Access (the keyless start button people keep asking for)
IGR -- Brake energy regeneration. During normal driving the alternator is off. When slowing down the alternator turns on at maximum and charges the battery back up. The fuel injectors shut off when the brakes are on. Significant improvment in fuel economy. AGM gel battery with intelligent sensor.

Most or all of these should show up in the next generation X3. We know the new X3 will be wider than the e90. BMW may use the same trick to push the hubs out as they did with the 135i.

The Improved DSC fault memory is important. We can hope the DME and EGS will have improved fault memories as well.

jo-e90
02-14-2008, 06:55 PM
I predict the next gen. X3 will look more like the current X3 rather than the picture in this thread. Just like what happened to the next gen X5 and the e90. Some same same for 2010