PDA

View Full Version : 2004 X3 - get the extended Maint??

marvenmassey
02-02-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi folks,

The time has come to give back my 330. Have to get something for the wife.

I've been looking at a 2004 X4 with 80Km's. The dealer wants to charge me $2400 for a 4 year "powertrain" (Lubrico) warranty. I believe this warranty only covers the powertrain, diff, transmission and engine. The dealer is asking 24K.

Alternatively I am thinking of getting a CPO 2004 X3 from BMW. BMW is asking a 4K more but if I add in the warranty from the other dealer plus the low finance rate from BMW it works out to be the same. In addition the vehicle covered up to 160,000KM or until 2010 with 24hr Road Side assistance. Although I am not completely sure what the CPO warranty covers but I do know it's the same as new vehicle warranty.

So the question is...do I NEED the warranty on a 2004? If not this saves me about 5K from the first dealer. If so I might as well get the one from BMW.

Thx in advance for your advice!

Marven

AzNMpower32
02-02-2008, 07:48 PM
When buying a used BMW, I always recommend getting a CPO one. The CPO covers most of the stuff as the New Car Warranty after the original warranty expires. All repairs and visits under the CPO warranty have a $50 deductable.

Aside from the warranty, how are the cars themselves?

marvenmassey
02-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Thx for your reply..

The ones are the used car dealership seem to be in good shape and seemed to have slightly more features than the BMW stealership (hehe I love that word..). The Canadian used BMW search isn't that detailed. However I am more concerned about the warranty price and gimmicks the used car dealership is trying to charge me...at least 3 differant types of "fee's"..He wont even let me drive the car until I give my license and credit card..I aint falling for that one..

BTW the warranty is expired on these..I want to buy a new one but at 50K I'll buy a two year old model at half the price...How are you liking your X3? I'm reading either people love them or hate them...After reading through some additional post I am a little worried about the autotranny (have to get it for my wife..) so the CPO vehicle is more appealing...

Marven

Mystic1
02-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Pricing may differ in Canada, but CPO only cost me an additional $1500, and the Extended maintenance would have been another $1500. We purchased the car off lease so that may have some effect on the price, but I doubt it. I would go with the CPO to get the extra 2 yr/50K mile warranty, but the maintenance is a toss up. If you are handy, you may forego the maintence, if not, you may want it. Just do what you think is in your best interest. A yearly oil change will cost around $100-120, but brakes could cost a bit, and Service II will be up there also.

Just reread your reply, and an aftermarket warranty not through BMW is something different, so ignore the above if going that route. In case you do not know, once a car is sold used without a CPO, it cannot be certified through BMW

marvenmassey
02-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Thx Mystic for your reply..
So basically you are saying get it from BMW...

Thx for your input!
M.

Mystic1
02-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Personally, I would. But if getting the CPO is not important, it really does not matter. Just a little more piece of mind having the extended warranty through BMW as there usually is not much runaround for warranty work. (I know there are exceptions so don't get on me for that). If they are charging too much for the CPO, it also may not be worth it. My car was in at the dealer at 7:30 AM, and it was finished with the CPO by 2:30 so it does not require much work on their part unless the car is in bad shape.
As far as the auto tranny, up to and including 2006 MY have been OK as far as I know. We have the 6sp MT and love it except for the CDV.

UncleJ
02-03-2008, 08:12 AM
Marv, if this is for your wife be SURE she drives it over some rough, potholed streets so she gets a feel for how it handles nasty roadways. These are stiff riding and she may not like it. My wife hates my '06 because she "bounces around" in it and can't drink her latte or put on lipstick while underway in the pax seat. The transmission issues started with the 6 speed automatic in '07 so you should not have any problem with that. FYI the sport package '04 X3 were supposed to be the hardest riding, but the regular suspension is about as taut IMHO. Good luck and I agree with the comment about getting the warranty through BMW it just seems like there are fewer hassles, but not always. Good luck!

marvenmassey
02-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Thx UncleJ for your response as well as the others....my wife has now changed her mind and wants a E46...as long as she is happy and I can get something for myself I am happy such as 335 or a 550...

thx for your advice guys!
M.

bmwadam
02-04-2008, 06:30 AM
Nice e34 in the pix! FYI the only warranty that you should purchase is the CPO from BMW. All others are hassels, and you run the risk of the 3rd party company going out of buisness and loosing your coverage altogether.

BUT sometimes the CPO isnt even worth it. Remember it only lasts for two years, andI know of many people who bought it and never used it (my dad fell into this catagory on his 540, which has incidentally been the most reliable bimmer my family has ever owned, and we have owned MANY). It's all up to you. I personally wouldnt get it, I would try to puick up a wholesale car, but then again I have a much higher than average level of mechanical skill, plus thousands of dollars worth of tools, equipment, and access to a lift. Sooooo......

I have a CPO 04 X3 and my wife loves it! BUT I wish she had wanted an e46. There was a nice 05 330 HP model for less money than the X3....BUT she does not like sedans... :( Kudos for having a sedan loving wife!

If you ever strayed into an X3, it is basically the same setup as your 330. It has the M54 motor, up until 07 when they switched it over to the N52 and the new tranny setup. But dont bother, go pick u up a nice 550 sometime :)

Court M3
02-10-2008, 04:23 PM
I love my CPO X3 even though it's the 2.5. Originally wanted an E46 wagon but couldn't find one anywhere. Get it, you'll be satisfied

KarlB
02-10-2008, 05:10 PM
+1 on the 04 x3 cpo got ours in dec and its a great car. (my 2 f250 super duty diesels are trucks, the x3 is a car):):thumbup:

marvenmassey
02-20-2008, 08:57 PM
hmmmmm still unsure what to do...
basically if I buy a '04 2.5 X3 the price isnt that differant between a dealer and BMW

However if I get into a 04' 3.0 or '05 3.0 the price differance that BMW is asking is 10K more than a dealer...doesnt it make more sense with the wholesaler if I can save that money upfront..

Thoughts?

Thx guys - I am soooo confused what to do...personally I feel ripped off by BMW Canada making it very difficult to import from the US so I want to avoid the stealer..

Thx BMWAdam about the E34..got rid of it when I got my 330..it was 10 years old when I bought it and didnt give me that many problems....the wife loves the 330 so if it's similar I think we'll like it...

M.

bmwadam
02-21-2008, 09:26 AM
I would go wholesale. The money saved is money earned! I will never buy from the old stealer again! My wife and I had to because she had a Mitsubishi Outlander we needed to trade, and they were very difficult to sell on our market here in TN. SO we needed to work a deal on a trade, typically wholesellers do not want to touch cars like that that they cant sell quick.

Even if you have to pay for some repairs, I seriously doubt you will spend over 10k in two years, plus I would reccomend learning to do some stuff yourself, like brakes and rotors. You can save BIG here, and it isnt hard to do.

If carfax reports on Ontario cars, run one of those before you buy, if not look it over VERY well. Good luck!

bigbirt
02-21-2008, 09:52 AM
I purchased a 2004 X3 as a CPO earlier this year and was able to negotiate the price of the extended warranty to $1,500 and have the $50 deductible waived.

marvenmassey
02-21-2008, 12:45 PM
I would go wholesale. The money saved is money earned! I will never buy from the old stealer again! My wife and I had to because she had a Mitsubishi Outlander we needed to trade, and they were very difficult to sell on our market here in TN. SO we needed to work a deal on a trade, typically wholesellers do not want to touch cars like that that they cant sell quick.

Even if you have to pay for some repairs, I seriously doubt you will spend over 10k in two years, plus I would reccomend learning to do some stuff yourself, like brakes and rotors. You can save BIG here, and it isnt hard to do.

If carfax reports on Ontario cars, run one of those before you buy, if not look it over VERY well. Good luck!

Your correct BMW Adam...I want to learn these things too and well unless you lease for your entire life (which I wont) you will at sometime or the other drive a vehile that is out of warranty...

I'll let you know how I make out.

M.