PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a buddy: E36 or e46 M3 versus the Evo IX

filamqc
02-02-2008, 10:50 PM
Okay, here it goes... kinda short and simple.
I have a co-worker who's trying to decide between buying a 2006 Mitsubushi Evolution IX OR a 2003 M3 (coupe) OR a 1999 M3 (sedan).
I asked him why an e36 VS. the e46, and he said he liked them both so it didn't really matter as long as it's a stick.
So comparing the Evo vs. the M3's, they are different classes right? I mean AWD vs. RWD, turbo vs. n/a, etc... etc...
But we all know any of these models are lightning quick/fast and can handle curves on a dime.
And either of the 3 are easily as desirable by many enthusiasts, as well as collectors down the road....

So what are your opinions? I can pass the ideas on to him...
Thanks in advance! :thumbup:

We all know the looks of an e36/e46 M3 but for visual comparison, this is a 2006 Evo IX:
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh110/alfie36m3/evo9.jpg

I told him that as for me, since I own an e36 M3 already - then I'd take the Evo... but an e46 M3 is just as nice to have too! :D

Talon328
02-04-2008, 03:10 PM
M3 hands down but that's because I'm a BMW fanboy and ///Ms are my desire. If my budget wasn't limited I'd take the E46 in a heartbeat. It's newer and sexier looking, faster, etc. than the E36...although the E36 does feel smaller and lighter (driven my dad's e46 M...handles better than my e36 328 and is obviously faster and everything but my car still feels smaller and lighter). I guess if you went for the E36 you could invest the difference between the e46m and the e36m with mods and probably have a faster car for the money.

But again I'd still go for the E46 if your friend's budget is large enough.

shamulater
02-05-2008, 03:23 AM
The Evo's a good platform...probably most desirable if your intentions are to make some modifications and create a road monster with a reasonable amount of cash. Out of the box, the M's are going to bring more satisfaction...daily. Definitely better driver characteristics. Picking between the E36 and E46 really comes down to which one best suits what you want the car to be. Either one is a winner.:)

sayemthree
02-05-2008, 08:28 PM
e46 M3 FTW!!!

ffej
02-05-2008, 08:39 PM
For the price, evos are a bargain. They have their issues though. The clutch and transmission are notoriously balky. The interior is not high-brow. Hell it's barely mid-brow. They're noisy, prone to other dudes wanting to race you and the turbo can become a crutch more than a benefit Still, I'd consider one, seeing what they can become without a great deal of effort and financial output.

The E36 M3 is a fantastic car. Soooooooo many things about it make me happy. As a dedicated track car, it's a knockout. Everything is easy to work on, replacement/wear parts are reasonably priced (except for good brake pads) and plentiful. The handling, power:weight, and feel of the car is great. As a DD, not so much. The platform is now well over 10 years old, and there are so many items I'm jealous of in the wife's E46 M3 and my friends' E9Xs. Technology in an everyday car is a great thing. Still, I'm not selling my sedan :)

The E46 would be, if I didn't have to deal with two E46s, the car I would drive. They are luxurious, composed, FAST, they handle well, and very well put together. The maintenance on them is a bit more than the E36, but for that you get a car that is just...well...more car. In a street car vs. street car contest, the E46 is by FAR the best of the three.

rrsperry
02-06-2008, 05:12 AM
The evo is based on a ****box. You can dress it up all you want, it is still a ****box.

deerpark
02-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Not to be a smart aleck, but I don't think that '99 M3 sedans were ever made. Anyway to answer your question, I'd have to go with a '98 M3 sedan.

sayemthree
02-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Not to be a smart aleck, but I don't think that '99 M3 sedans were ever made. Anyway to answer your question, I'd have to go with a '98 M3 sedan.

U R correct - in the USA only 97 and 98. I had a 98 it was an awesome car.

yip88
02-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Power, Speed, Luxury, Style ///M3
Sorry I just can't drive other car anymore

240Bhp
03-05-2008, 11:40 AM
I was in the exact same situation!

I was considering an EVO 8 at the time, I was going to finance it, however I always had a thing for the E36 coupe and after two years...I am so glad I made the choice to go with the E36 M3.

Not only is the E36 a little more fun to drive, easier to maintain (less moving parts...not to mention that 4G63 engine is a PITA to work on yourself), and a little friendlier with mileage....people don't look at you like you're some teenage teeny bopper trying to impress the block.

Go with the BMW.