PDA

View Full Version : X3 Oil Separater???

dicor
02-03-2008, 05:28 AM
I've seen a lot of posting on BMW oil separaters. Does a 2004 X3 3.0 have a oil separater? If so what is the recomended replacement schedule? :dunno:

bmwadam
02-04-2008, 06:52 AM
Yup it does have one. This is a problem with cars up north. What happens is the valve collects condensation, then it freezes and breaks, leaking oil down onto the intake manifold causing the burnoff and a lot of blue smoke out the back. It also can cause more sreious problems if you keep driving it, but mostly due to the horrible smell and billowing smoke, people do not drive with the failure.

As far as replacement schedule, I live in SE TN and have NEVER had to replace one. It does get cold here and below freezing, BUT it is not as severe as you all get it up in PA.

Just watch your car, change oil on a regular basis, about 7k or so, and drive it easy when you take off on a cold start. Ususally if you keep the oil changed, and do not do a lot of short trips, they should last a good while, 100k plus.... BUT if you do short trips, just pay attention to the car, and drive it easy.

Incidentally this is not a hard job to do on the M54, you just have to have the knowhow.

bmwadam
02-04-2008, 06:57 AM
There is anothe thread I just found where this is discussed at length... There are some knowlegable posts on here. I reccomend that you read through them if you have any further questions.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2158829

dicor
02-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Thanks, good info. :thumbup: