PDA

View Full Version : Shop Foreman explains AT transmission

viii_ball
02-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Last night I met for an hour with my dealers service manager and the shop foreman concerning the issues we have experienced with the automatic transmission. To recap, we have a 2008 X3 with a 9/07 build date. This is the 3rd time I have taken the X3 into the shop to have the transmission addressed. After they kept the car over the weekend they called BMW and were told they could go for a test ride with me to see what I was experiencing as they do not believe there is anything "wrong" with the car.

So 4 of us went for a test drive, me, wife, service manager and shop foreman. Below are the things I pointed out and the explanation from the foreman as to why the car exhibits that characteristic.

Lack of immediate throttle response - this is an electronically controlled transmission and the brain needs a second or so to think and send an instruction to the transmission for a response

Lack of acceleration or feel of not getting out of the way during corner or turn (binding feeling) - this is the stability control taking over and not allowing the car to accelerate so that the driver does not experience under or over steer

Feeling every gear change as the car up shifts - BMW engineers their cars so that the drivers "feel" the car. They could program this out but its a conscious choice to give a feel to the vehicle

Hard shifting and binding feel when in traffic - BMW has a 1-2 1-2 transmission lock that if it senses consecutive shifts from 1st gear to 2nd, back to 1st and into 2nd it will lock into 2nd gear as a way to "save fuel" during stop and go traffic.

Binding and noticeable down shifting when rolling to a stop - this is a characteristic of the AWD. You feel things because the front transmission mechanisms are still turning.

So every issue we had he explained away as the way the car was designed. At 45 mph I stomped on the accelerator simulating needing to get out of the way of something fast and the RPMs went to 6000 and the transmission did not immediately respond. In fact I never let it respond as I was concerned about the engine reeving that high. It had to be a good 2 seconds. You can see how he explained it away above.

Bottom line, BMW is saying all the things we experience are due to either safety features, gas mileage saving or done on purpose to give the car a certain feel. While this may all be true I hate it. This will be the last BMW I ever own if that is the way the car is SUPPOSED to drive. As one other poster described it, the transmission is soul-sucking.

kjboyd
02-05-2008, 12:01 PM
ask them to explain why the 328iX and the X5 do NOT do it.

viii_ball
02-05-2008, 12:10 PM

I am not conversant in all the BMW models and what they offer so are both these vehicles AWD?

firstbmwX3
02-05-2008, 12:33 PM
I have many of the same issues. If you check the X5 discussions you will also find that this is a hot topic with the 3.0si. Recently I had to drive a rental car...it had a sucky transmission as well, actually a 2007 Camry and a 2008 Chrysler 300. I had a 328xi for a loaner and it wasn't as bad as the X3 but I think the DSC and all those other systems being engineered today do muck up the smoothness and responsiveness we are used to from yesteryear.

skitime
02-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Damn, if all of that is true, I guess I should take my 06 in for "adjustments" then!

Andrew*Debbie
02-05-2008, 12:46 PM
BMW is saying

You are confusing BMW with your dealer. BMW AG and NA do not own the dealerships.

Have you ever tried taking the car to a different shop?

Please take your car to another dealer. Please get BMW NA involved with this. Your current dealer is doing you and the brand a real disservice.

Andrew*Debbie
02-05-2008, 12:49 PM
I am not conversant in all the BMW models and what they offer so are both these vehicles AWD?

Not only are the AWD, they use a very similar X-drive system.

viii_ball
02-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Damn, if all of that is true, I guess I should take my 06 in for "adjustments" then!

Meaning? I am guessing your car does not exhibit these driving characteristics?

AzNMpower32
02-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Lack of immediate throttle response - this is an electronically controlled transmission and the brain needs a second or so to think and send an instruction to the transmission for a response

Lack of acceleration or feel of not getting out of the way during corner or turn (binding feeling) - this is the stability control taking over and not allowing the car to accelerate so that the driver does not experience under or over steer

Feeling every gear change as the car up shifts - BMW engineers their cars so that the drivers "feel" the car. They could program this out but its a conscious choice to give a feel to the vehicle

Hard shifting and binding feel when in traffic - BMW has a 1-2 1-2 transmission lock that if it senses consecutive shifts from 1st gear to 2nd, back to 1st and into 2nd it will lock into 2nd gear as a way to "save fuel" during stop and go traffic.

Binding and noticeable down shifting when rolling to a stop - this is a characteristic of the AWD. You feel things because the front transmission mechanisms are still turning.

So every issue we had he explained away as the way the car was designed. At 45 mph I stomped on the accelerator simulating needing to get out of the way of something fast and the RPMs went to 6000 and the transmission did not immediately respond. In fact I never let it respond as I was concerned about the engine reeving that high. It had to be a good 2 seconds. You can see how he explained it away above.

Bottom line, BMW is saying all the things we experience are due to either safety features, gas mileage saving or done on purpose to give the car a certain feel. While this may all be true I hate it. This will be the last BMW I ever own if that is the way the car is SUPPOSED to drive. As one other poster described it, the transmission is soul-sucking.
The dealership is giving more BS than all of the tabloid newspapers combined.

1. Although there is a minimal (100 millisecond) lag between pedal and response, it should not be actually a "huge" delay. Perhaps I will do a videotape of this over the weekend.....if I feel like it.

2. That is absolute rubbish. If DSC was intervening, the DSC light would flash. Plus, DSC tends to rein the car in by selective braking first, and then cutting power if absolutely necessary.

3. Yea, right. Why do other AWD cars downshift smoothly?

4. Does it rev to 6000rpm but the transmission doesn't "hook up" i.e it feels like you're revving in Neutral? If you use kickdown and it downshifts to 6k and you accelerate quickly, that is normal. Do not be concerned about high revs in any BMW. But if it revs to 6k but you don't actually accelerate, this is a power delivery problem.

Evlengr
02-05-2008, 01:45 PM
8 BALL All those reason were presented to me and debunked through simple process of elimination.

Lack of immediate throttle response - if the CPU is this slow then it was from an old Atari. A vehicle is designed to respond slow?

Lack of acceleration or feel of not getting out of the way during corner or turn (binding feeling) - you built in a component to get you in trouble funny doesnt work that way in the 06 model.

Hard shifting and binding feel when in traffic - put it in SD and see where it shifts down to at a full stop -every time. The shift issue occurs mainy in 2-3 gear and the SIB's even state that.

Binding and noticeable down shifting when rolling to a stop - this is my fourth SUV and never has that happen before and again doesn't happen in the 06 (next door neighbor has one btw).

My rebuttals are based upon driving an 06 X3 (which is what sold me in the first place) and the 328i loaner vehicle that has the same transmission and never exhibits the problems of my 07 X3. In fact the loaners are so seamless I forgot about the whole shifting problem til I get mine back from service.

I might add that these issues are dormant in most warmer weather now, and surface primarily in cold weather.

This must be a standard check list as this is similar to the baloney I was originally fed.

You know this is BS when all of us agree he gave you a line.

viii_ball
02-05-2008, 02:20 PM
4. Does it rev to 6000rpm but the transmission doesn't "hook up" i.e it feels like you're revving in Neutral? If you use kickdown and it downshifts to 6k and you accelerate quickly, that is normal. Do not be concerned about high revs in any BMW. But if it revs to 6k but you don't actually accelerate, this is a power delivery problem.

Thats exactly how I would describe it, it revs to 6k but the transmission does not hook up. Car goes NOWHERE. Not sure how long it takes for the tranny to catch as I was too worried about the engine and let off the gas before the car could "react".

AzNMpower32
02-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Thats exactly how I would describe it, it revs to 6k but the transmission does not hook up. Car goes NOWHERE. Not sure how long it takes for the tranny to catch as I was too worried about the engine and let off the gas before the car could "react".
What dealer did you go to? I'm in the area so I could probably point you somewhere in the right direction.

Ya know, I'm curious to see what a "problematic" X3 feels like. The last time I had an '08, it demonstrated no problems but that's because it was a later production model. Does anyone in the area want to demonstrate for me? (You're allowed to feel how mine works properly........)

Evlengr
02-05-2008, 02:50 PM
What dealer did you go to? I'm in the area so I could probably point you somewhere in the right direction.

Ya know, I'm curious to see what a "problematic" X3 feels like. The last time I had an '08, it demonstrated no problems but that's because it was a later production model. Does anyone in the area want to demonstrate for me? (You're allowed to feel how mine works properly........)

Anybody else want to trade for a test drive? It's fully insured?

AzNMpower32
02-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Of course my X is insured. Anyone want to just meet in a parking lot for maybe like 20m or half an hour.........? I'm home this weekend (It's also my b'day :p)

arcane
02-05-2008, 03:03 PM
I was just informed by the SA at my dealership that by coincidence the BMWNA field service rep will be there tomorrow, and they will test drive my X3. I cannot be there, unfortunately.

viii_ball
02-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Of course my X is insured. Anyone want to just meet in a parking lot for maybe like 20m or half an hour.........? I'm home this weekend (It's also my b'day :p)

I'll meet but Charlottesville is not near me. Its about 1.5-2 hours I would guess. I am in Leesburg but would be more than happy to switch cars with you for a test drive. We have actually thought about going back to the dealership and test driving an X5 to see if it exhibits the same drive characteristics.

viii_ball
02-05-2008, 05:36 PM

I'm in. But you are in Howard County right? I am way out in Loudoun, VA. We could all meet up in Tysons Corner (bring your wife and she can shop) and even catch some lunch together. Anyone in the DC area wanna meet up? If Tysons is too far we could do Bethesda. Suggestions anyone?

Evlengr
02-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Sounds like a plan but it would have to be next weekend.

Wife and little one going out and not to be catty, but scheduled some test drives this weekend. I want to see what the fuss is over some vehicles.

How about Rio Grande? Love the food there, but where to drive?

Bethesda is almost as dangerous shopping wise now with all the new shoe stores :-). And the police take no prisoners.

A pair of her shoes with matching purse cost more than our tires, Lol.

viii_ball
02-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Sounds like a plan but it would have to be next weekend.

I am in Florida for the Daytona 500 next weekend. Going to Redneck Mardi Gras for the 11th year. :thumbup:

BmW745On19's
02-05-2008, 06:01 PM
You should have taken him to the showroom, asked a salesman to let you test drive a brand spankin new X3 and have him explain why that new car's transmission is so smooth.

viii_ball
02-05-2008, 06:03 PM
You should have taken him to the showroom, asked a salesman to let you test drive a brand spankin new X3 and have him explain why that new car's transmission is so smooth.

May just do that over the weekend. May go drive an X5 just to see what happens. BTW, love that white ride in your picture. What year is the RS? I am on my 3rd Pcar a 2000 996

Evlengr
02-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Can do what I am doing and go with wife's car to another BMW dealer for a test drive *smirk* part of my plans this weekend.

AzNMpower32
02-05-2008, 06:30 PM
I'll meet but Charlottesville is not near me. Its about 1.5-2 hours I would guess. I am in Leesburg but would be more than happy to switch cars with you for a test drive. We have actually thought about going back to the dealership and test driving an X5 to see if it exhibits the same drive characteristics.
Sent you a PM.

jdeday
02-05-2008, 08:58 PM

The 328xi has the same performace aspects. Please read the article in Bimmer Magazine.

TexRob
02-05-2008, 10:41 PM
May just do that over the weekend. May go drive an X5 just to see what happens. BTW, love that white ride in your picture. What year is the RS? I am on my 3rd Pcar a 2000 996

No! Don't go drive an X5, that is what they want! They want to buy your X3, sell you a new car, and make money off your old one.

I would have absolutely lost my mind if I had been you. I am fed up with my wife's X3, and BMW for not admitting this is a huge problem.

viii_ball
02-06-2008, 05:54 AM
The 328xi has the same performace aspects. Please read the article in Bimmer Magazine.

I don't read BMW magazines since this is my wife's car. Are you saying there is an article that says the 328 has the same "problems" as the one's I describe above? Do you have an issue date and number we can search to find the info you reference? Maybe there is some credence to what the shop foreman is saying. Maybe these problems are all designed on purpose??

Evlengr
02-06-2008, 06:25 AM
8 ball I have driven a half doxen 328i and its not inherent ( they are the loaner car of my dealer). They have all been different as they have numbers on them.

Five out of six have shifted so smoothly I forgot about the whole transmission issue and gave it no thought until I heard that they have the same tranny as the X3.

This is part of what I have based my comments on the poor performance of the X3.

viii_ball
02-06-2008, 07:07 AM
We are not the only whiners.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/bmw_trans.html

STE92VE
02-06-2008, 08:24 AM
2. That is absolute rubbish. If DSC was intervening, the DSC light would flash.

100% accurate.

A pair of her shoes with matching purse cost more than our tires, Lol.

I sympathize with you....:bawling:

Evlengr
02-06-2008, 08:32 AM
100% accurate.

I sympathize with you....:bawling: Not as bad as it sounds. She make more than I do and buys me technical toys as well. Same gal that helped me pull a carb on an old car to fix butterfly valves. Great wife and friend.

viii_ball
02-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Not as bad as it sounds. She make more than I do and buys me technical toys as well.

I want one of those. :angel:

STE92VE
02-06-2008, 09:29 AM
I want one of those. :angel:

Sorry, they only made 2 and broke the mold after they made them....I've had mine for 30 years.....

viii_ball
02-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Sorry, they only made 2 and broke the mold after they made them....I've had mine for 30 years.....

I have had mine for 18 years and love her to death. I guess I should be thankful she lets me buy my toys cause I have a garage full of them.

Evlengr
02-06-2008, 10:26 AM
Ok I can beat all that--she puts up with me, Lol.

jdeday
02-06-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't read BMW magazines since this is my wife's car. Are you saying there is an article that says the 328 has the same "problems" as the one's I describe above? Do you have an issue date and number we can search to find the info you reference? Maybe there is some credence to what the shop foreman is saying. Maybe these problems are all designed on purpose??

December 2007 issue #71.

viii_ball
02-07-2008, 07:06 AM
December 2007 issue #71.

Thanks. Unfortunately Bimmer Magazine does not post their past issues/articles online so I am not able to obtain a copy of this information.

viii_ball
02-07-2008, 09:55 AM
I made my first (and I guess only) call to customer service at BMWNA (1-800-831-1117). The representative took my complaint. Only recommend actions from them were :
1. go back to the dealer and speak to the service manager (done several times already)
2. go to another BMW dealership for a second opinion

They told me that if the dealer service department can not find any fault and if they say its operating according to spec there is nothing more that can be done. The customer service rep told me as well he has driven an X3 and noticed the same issues and has been told these are normal characteristics of the X3 transmission.
:mad:

I guess its on to the next steps.

Evlengr
02-07-2008, 10:01 AM
That's the SOP response. It's a CYTA! I have a bunch of e mails to this same effect.

Ask for a technical field rep to examine your car.

When I had mine checked the DME and EGS did not match the proper set up and it was stated that it took three attempts for them to take (sorry never heard of such a system that is that clunky in CPU scenarios).

Be it as it may. My car now works fine in warm weather, just not any cold.

So buy a heated garage or move to a warmer climate to accomodate my car. Yeha that makes sense, Lol.

viii_ball
02-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Ask for a technical field rep to examine your car.

To whom do I make this request, the dealership or BMWNA Customer Service?

Evlengr
02-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Contact Both! It seems to me that BMWNA and the Dealers like to shift the repsonsibilty a lot. One will blame the other.

Example: Dealer ---we havent received the new updates since they havent been sent.
BMWNA --the dealer has not properly installed the updates.

So when one points to the other you can say I have spoken to them already.

x3ml
02-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Be it as it may. My car now works fine in warm weather, just not any cold.

Looks like you have a better X3, in warm weather, my 07MY is terrible in SD mode, better in D and best in manual mode. In similar situation, one day, it seems fine, another day its worst, can't figure out why. My major complaint is harsh shifting especially when down shifting to a stop in SD mode. Looks like everyone's complaint not the same, are the discrepancies on the drivers instead of the car? Until this becomes a safety issue, BMW is not going admit there is something wrong. For me, I find it hard to drive this car, because stopping is so unpredictable... Does the 3.0si X5 uses a different AT, different make?

viii_ball
02-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Until this becomes a safety issue, BMW is not going admit there is something wrong.

I would say the lack of response when accelerating is a safety issue. I have had two instances where I began to roll out into traffic (very heavy here in my area) and when it was time to go, there was a significant lag in response between accelerator pressure and transmission engagement. This left me hanging in the middle of an intersection with oncoming traffic. Was quite pucker inducing.

Evlengr
02-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Looks like you have a better X3, in warm weather, my 07MY is terrible in SD mode, better in D and best in manual mode. In similar situation, one day, it seems fine, another day its worst, can't figure out why. My major complaint is harsh shifting especially when down shifting to a stop in SD mode. Looks like everyone's complaint not the same, are the discrepancies on the drivers instead of the car? Until this becomes a safety issue, BMW is not going admit there is something wrong. For me, I find it hard to drive this car, because stopping is so unpredictable... Does the 3.0si X5 uses a different AT, different make?

Should have added most of the time. There is still that 5% roll of the dice that makes me wait until ALL CLEAR on entering a traffic circle. The SD is always clunky.

Like we have all said since day one: from a hyundai this would be understandable, but not from a vehicle more than double that value.
:spank:

Plus it is a huge safety problem. Please take the time to file with the NHTSA.

Andrew*Debbie
02-07-2008, 12:32 PM

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/bmw_trans.html

The "No Reverse" Transmission used in the older e46 cars was built by ZF and not GM.

Nothing to do with the X3 .

The no reverse cars are 7 and 8 years old. From what I've read , BMW NA is paying 1/3 of the repair cost.

viii_ball
02-07-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by viii_ball View Post

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/autom...bmw_trans.html

The "No Reverse" Transmission used in the older e46 cars was built by ZF and not GM.

Nothing to do with the X3 .

The no reverse cars are 7 and 8 years old. From what I've read , BMW NA is paying 1/3 of the repair cost.

I guess this is one of the entries that garnered my attention:

Dan of Hinsdale IL (01/04/08)
Brand new 2006 BMW X3 repeatedly fails to properly shift from 1st to 2nd gear from a dead stop to entering traffic. The hesitation in 1st to 2nd gear shifting is serious and is a life and limb safety issue. My X3 was serviced more than 4 times and received a completely new transmission the 3rd time after a complete transmission failer on the road computer-locked out the gear shift and had to be towed. The new transmission still had the same hesitation failures. Eventually BMW refused to continue accepting the car for service and refused to acknowledge the transmission still had a hesitation that rises above the level of customer preference dissatisfaction. they specifically tod me I could not use the Illinois Lemon law beause they will not acknowledge the car still has a defect. I got rid of the car 3 months after leasing it (and right after that conversation) and with almost no use of my own on the car. I fear for the poor soul that got it next. Upon asking in a puzzled manner why in the world the smartest engineers on the planet could allow this problem to exist, I was told face to face by the regional field service manager of BMW NA itslf (during a road test) that the trans shifting had to be adjusted against engineering design in order for the car to meet EPA fuel mileage targets. It was one of many modifications made for EPA not engineering reasons for the US market. I believe it was a frank answer. It also means that ALL X3's are a danger to life and limb. How many have died when trying to enter an intersection or traffic from a dead stop and then the car hesitates and causes the accident??? I fear for the answer - it could be tens of thousands! I wish I had the power to save those lives -forget my ongoing silly money fight with BMW over the early lease termination. I now drive a Lexus and am very happy with it. I will never ever own lease rent from an airport nor recommend a BMW to anyone - not in my lifetime.

AzNMpower32
02-07-2008, 12:56 PM
My parents bought both the X3 and the 325i sport at VOB. And for a while, we always got the cars serviced there too. After all, VOB is very busy since it's the only dealership in that area of the Beltway. We would have to drive a lousy rental from Enterprise, but eh...........

But everytime I mentioned something was wrong, it always took 2 tries to get the job done, or they'd just come back with the blank "We ran a diagnostic and no faults showed up, so this is normal".

Then, almost a year ago, I took a referral from someone else and traveled an hour up to Russel BMW off the Baltimore beltway. There, they had a tech take a drive with me, acknowledge something was wrong, and everytime the SA said "I'll see if I can get it done", he always ends up being able to fix it and push it thru warranty coverage.

I haven't been back to VOB Service since.

Evlengr
02-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Love that comment that BMW will not acknowledge it has a defect, so Lemon Law won't apply.

It's not up to them to acknowledge it. It is up to a court of law.

Again I should have listened to AznM way back when and went to Russel.

Passport is polite, always gets me a loaner that is nicely maintained, and serves a great cup of coffee.

But it never gets fixed.

pilotman
02-07-2008, 01:06 PM
I guess this is one of the entries that garnered my attention:

Dan of Hinsdale IL (01/04/08)
Brand new 2006 BMW X3 repeatedly fails to properly shift from 1st to 2nd gear from a dead stop to entering traffic. The hesitation in 1st to 2nd gear shifting is serious and is a life and limb safety issue. My X3 was serviced more than 4 times and received a completely new transmission the 3rd time after a complete transmission failer on the road computer-locked out the gear shift and had to be towed. The new transmission still had the same hesitation failures. Eventually BMW refused to continue accepting the car for service and refused to acknowledge the transmission still had a hesitation that rises above the level of customer preference dissatisfaction. they specifically tod me I could not use the Illinois Lemon law beause they will not acknowledge the car still has a defect. I got rid of the car 3 months after leasing it (and right after that conversation) and with almost no use of my own on the car. I fear for the poor soul that got it next. Upon asking in a puzzled manner why in the world the smartest engineers on the planet could allow this problem to exist, I was told face to face by the regional field service manager of BMW NA itslf (during a road test) that the trans shifting had to be adjusted against engineering design in order for the car to meet EPA fuel mileage targets. It was one of many modifications made for EPA not engineering reasons for the US market. I believe it was a frank answer. It also means that ALL X3's are a danger to life and limb. How many have died when trying to enter an intersection or traffic from a dead stop and then the car hesitates and causes the accident??? I fear for the answer - it could be tens of thousands! I wish I had the power to save those lives -forget my ongoing silly money fight with BMW over the early lease termination. I now drive a Lexus and am very happy with it. I will never ever own lease rent from an airport nor recommend a BMW to anyone - not in my lifetime.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this didn't affect 2006 models.

I have a 2006, and have driven many, and the 2006 has the older engine and transmission combo, completely different.

viii_ball
02-07-2008, 01:15 PM
always gets me a loaner that is nicely maintained..

First time I was in service my dealer gave me a loaner that was dirty (some large spill across the back seat, not going to speculate but looked like carnal relations had occurred back there :tsk:), the low gas indicator was already on and I had to stop immediately for gas.

There is no way I can get to anywhere near Baltimore to have service done. That would take a whole day or more.

viii_ball
02-07-2008, 01:16 PM

I have a 2006, and have driven many, and the 2006 has the older engine and transmission combo, completely different.

IDK...all I know is the description of the problem sounds just like what we are experiencing.

STE92VE
02-07-2008, 01:18 PM

Correct, the 2006 has the 5 speed auto and from 2007 on , it has the 6 speed auto.

x3ml
02-07-2008, 01:43 PM
Love that comment that BMW will not acknowledge it has a defect, so Lemon Law won't apply.

It's not up to them to acknowledge it. It is up to a court of law.

Should have added most of the time. There is still that 5% roll of the dice that makes me wait until ALL CLEAR on entering a traffic circle. The SD is always clunky.

Like we have all said since day one: from a hyundai this would be understandable, but not from a vehicle more than double that value.

Plus it is a huge safety problem. Please take the time to file with the NHTSA.

Thanks, that's exactly my point! In a way, I think its fixable because my Manual mode does seems to behave properly with much less jerky up and down shifting. The lack of solutions from BMW for so long seems to indicate that the problem is not fixable. All they can say is that this is how it is supposed to behave. But I think its both a comfort AND a safety issue here, and I think some of you would agree too. How can we file with NHTSA and make them agree with us that its a safety issue would be the key to resolve this X3 AT nightmare.

I just hope that nobody would be seriously hurt before BMW would take action to address this AT issue that they would not acknowledge.

viii_ball
02-07-2008, 01:48 PM
How can we file with NHTSA and make them agree with us that its a safety issue would be the key to resolve this X3 AT nightmare.

There are 7 complaints registered with the NHTSA for the 2007 X3 AT issue. The link to file a complaint is http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

x3ml
02-07-2008, 03:25 PM
There are 7 complaints registered with the NHTSA for the 2007 X3 AT issue. The link to file a complaint is http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm

Thanks, this is great info! I urge everyone who believes they have a safety issue with their X3 with regard to the way their AT behaves to file a complaint above. I did a search:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/complaintsearch.cfm

on 2007 BMW X3 and they have 12 complaints on record under different categories, all for either for bad shifts or hesitations.

STE92VE
02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
I don't know if I'm understanding when this problem occurs from what I've been reading.... does it only happen when you are in SD or Manual mode, or does it happen in just plain D as well? :dunno:

Evlengr
02-07-2008, 04:22 PM
Actually it behaves best in Manual mode.

Regular Drive it is the unpredictable phase when you aren't sure how it will behave, but usually it has problems with 2-3 shift/3-2shift.

SD is when you get the slammed in the down shift.

If what I am hearing is true that they fudged the shifting to handle EPA concerns they could be in for a whole different world of hurt.

STE92VE
02-07-2008, 04:32 PM
If what I am hearing is true that they fudged the shifting to handle EPA concerns they could be in for a whole different world of hurt.

This is not unusual...Chevy did it with the Corvette with the 6MT tranny....if you're under 20-25 mph when you shift out of first, the tranny will not go into 2nd and it goes directly into 4th.

Evlengr
02-07-2008, 06:36 PM
This is not unusual...Chevy did it with the Corvette with the 6MT tranny....if you're under 20-25 mph when you shift out of first, the tranny will not go into 2nd and it goes directly into 4th.

Don't know about the Corvette, but I do know that means they knowingly made a decision to sacrifice safety for their financial security.