PDA

View Full Version : Buying '08

LMC
02-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Spoke to the sales guy today -- No idea on allocations and still need to get final OK from the Big Boss (:D) but it looks like:
'08 X3 3.0si Montego Blue metallic with Black & Sand leather, Steptronic (my sixth BMW and first step!), premium, sport, cold weather, prem audio, xenon, rear privacy glass

Our 2004 E46 325iT has served us well, but I am looking forward to a little extra room...

:)

cross5x
02-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Isn't there gonna be a facelift for the X3 that includes minor (but visible) changes on the front and back of the car? You not gonna wait for that?

kjboyd
02-05-2008, 10:30 PM
keep up people, that just happened in 07.
three years, then the update and four more years, then new model.

Andrew*Debbie
02-06-2008, 05:47 AM
teptronic (my sixth BMW and first step!),

Why steptronic? We order our X3 with a Manual and couldn't be more happy.

STE92VE
02-06-2008, 07:10 AM

I would prefer to go this way, but alas, it took my wife too long to learn how to program the VCR, so she is adamant about the Step. Thankfully, we now have a DVR and I have a 6MT....all is good! :thumbup:

BTW, to the OP, best of luck with your new ride....enjoy the wait!

hot_croc
02-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Congrats, LMC!
We too opted for the Sand Beige/Black leather combo - it looks sweet!

I would prefer to go this way, but alas, it took my wife too long to learn how to program the VCR, so she is adamant about the Step.
I honestly feel so sorry for all you dudes whose wives won't "let you get" manual. :(
Driving stick is half the fun of driving at all! And once you learn, it's like a bicycle - you never forget!
Plus today's clutches are sooooooooo much easier than 20 years ago. :)

STE92VE
02-06-2008, 07:27 AM
I honestly feel so sorry for all you dudes whose wives won't "let you get" manual. :(
Driving stick is half the fun of driving at all! And once you learn, it's like a bicycle - you never forget!
Plus today's clutches are sooooooooo much easier than 20 years ago. :)

Thanks for the sympathy, but I have the 6MT on my car (wouldn't order it any other way)..the X3 will be for her, so me being a good guy, she can have anything she wants.:angel:

hot_croc
02-06-2008, 09:49 AM
...I have the 6MT on my car (wouldn't order it any other way)...
Right on! :thumbup:

LMC
02-06-2008, 11:42 AM

I drive a manual M3 and my wife always was happy driving manual, but a few years ago she got some medical issues -- she has worn casts (cast boots) on both feet for years. She can drive MT but has to remove her casts to do so and drive in stocking feet or bring a pair of shoes along. Then she gets to where she's going and has to reassemble herself.

I've watched the X3 AT threads with great interest, of course, and if it were just me I'd be happier with a manual, but she will drive this vehicle about half of the time and I must accomodate her medical issues. The beauty of the 2004 325iT SMG (that the X3 will replace) is that we avoided Step but accomodated her issues.

LMC
02-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Went to dealership today. Took checkbook. :bigpimp:

The last time we visited they had only one X3 in stock. Now they have three in stock, including one in our desired colors (montego blue with black/beige interior) albeit without sport pkg. :D

Then....uh, oh...major glitch! The sand beige leather is yellow! :yikes: My wife is a little picky about tan: No yellow and no orange allowed! :mad:

hot_croc
02-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Does that mean you'll be submitting your custom order soon??? :p

LMC
02-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Does that mean you'll be submitting your custom order soon??? :p

She will probably drive it more than me, so she's gotta be happy.

The last BMW I bought ('05 M3) I did indeed order a custom (paint) color ($2000.) Last I knew the price for a BMW Individual interior was $3880 in the US, but the X3 is not even available in the German market with Individual/custom colors. And I've not heard of a US customer getting approval for Individual in the last several years; they've really tightened up.

Do you think Krylon spray paint would stick to leather? :dunno: :angel:

hot_croc
02-09-2008, 07:34 PM
...My wife is a little picky about tan: No yellow and no orange allowed! :mad:
What about the Tobacco interior? It's not tan, but it's not yellow or orange either! lol

dashiell
02-09-2008, 07:59 PM
+ 1 on the Tobacco, it's a beautiful deep brown. You have to custom order it from the dealer(it's not on-line or in the catalogue). It takes about 5-6 weeks but you get it just how you want it. Hot_croc and I are currently waiting for ours(we happened to order at the same time), it looks like they may be getting on the same ship, hopefully not in steerage.

LMC
02-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I like the Tobacco leather.

Other option is Gray leather. (But we really like the two-tone interiors...) Well then....gray interior but replace the gray carpet with black carpet. :yikes: Expensive cosmetic mod! And doesn't really give that two-tone effect on the door panels, etc.

Of course if you want to talk aftermarket, you could order black leather and take it to a high-quality upholstery shop and tell 'em to replace seat centers and door trim panels with whatever your heart desires.... how about gray alcantara? gray cloth? blue cloth? purple suede? custom-painted velvet Elvis at each seating position? The sky is the limit!

By the way, I misspoke earlier. There are two BMW Individual paint colors listed on the BMW Germany configurator for the X3: Moonstone and Ruby Black. 1,950 euros extra.

dashiell
02-10-2008, 03:14 PM
Hell, maybe I should have ordered from BMW Germany, the Ruby Black sounds great.

kjboyd
02-10-2008, 03:28 PM
The tobacco interior comes with black two-tone.

MMME30W
02-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Tobacco and Black FTW.

This picture is from an X5 with tobacco; we took it when shopping last year. It shows the color well. On our X3, the leather is this color, the rest of the interior is black. It's a very good combination, I think.

LMC
02-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Tobacco and Black FTW.

This picture is from an X5 with tobacco; we took it when shopping last year. It shows the color well. On our X3, the leather is this color, the rest of the interior is black. It's a very good combination, I think.

Agree on the tobacco, 'span. For me it would be something like 50-50 either way, but the Big Boss has now decided that she can probably live with Black & Sand Beige and she likes the additional contrast of the lighter leather color. She adds "well, if we decide we just can't live with it, we could get the beige replaced with something else -- like gray -- at an upholstery shop." That would, of course, be expensive and I worry a little about who would be willing to do the front door side panels since the side airbags pop through them. Potential liability and all that...

Anyway, back on track now. :D

cbj
02-11-2008, 11:44 AM
I actually have tons of fun driving the steptronic with lots of option between D, SD and manual shift. I actually like it more than the manuals I have had and of course because I do a lot of city driving. Have fun with the new car and show us some pictures when it arrive.

Yes, I know I am strange - I love the car and love the steptronic :-)

LMC
03-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Ordered wheels and tires yesterday from Tire Rack. :)

Though a little bit about doing 17-inchers but stayed with 18s.

OZ Opera Evo 18 x 8 with Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S tires in 235/50ZR-18. I'm a die-hard Michelin guy and was going to go Pilot Sport A/S but that tire has been around a few years and is due for replacement, so I'm going to give Goodyear a shot.

The Opera Evo is definitely a different look. Right now I've got two BMWs with mesh wheels (CSL replicas on the M3 and BBS RC on my wagon) so I wanted something easier to clean. :eeps:

LMC
04-30-2008, 07:26 PM
Finally here! Something weird went on down at the VPC; arrived April 7th, released for transport April 9th, went back in to the VPC :dunno: and released again on the 22nd.

Maybe they had to pull the GM tranny and stick a ZF in... :angel:

The weather broke long enough for me to drive home from the dealership -- then we had a little hailstorm. :tsk:

Unfortunately, all those shenanigans at the VPC meant my wife missed the arrival of the new blue baby -- she is down at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale getting a bone marrow transplant. :yikes: I plan to drive down and fetch her home -- the X3 may be the chariot of choice for that trip; we shall see...

Mud guards, rear sunshades, wheels and tires -- all here waiting. These quick photos are of the bone stock X3.

AzNMpower32
04-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Looks great! I like the Montego Blue sport model :) Enjoy the ride.

Terry J. Harris
04-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Yes, congratulations, it does look very good. The more I see of it, the happier I am that I ordered the Sport Package on the '08 (my '07 is non-Sport Pkg). I think your color combo looks very good! Best of luck with your wife's procedure!!

keithsimp
04-30-2008, 09:36 PM
Very nice color combo. :thumbup:

Terry J. Harris
04-30-2008, 09:46 PM
BTW Larry, if you get the chance and your wife feels up to it, breakfast at The Breakfast Club there in Scottsdale is quite good. I've done it a number of times with my daughter and really enjoyed it each time.

HT417
04-30-2008, 10:51 PM
I actually have tons of fun driving the steptronic with lots of option between D, SD and manual shift. I actually like it more than the manuals I have had and of course because I do a lot of city driving. Have fun with the new car and show us some pictures when it arrive.

Yes, I know I am strange - I love the car and love the steptronic :-)

+1 :thumbup:

It's best auto I've ever owned or driven. I like the connectedness and sportiness and didn't want a luxo feel all of the time.

HT417
04-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Congrats! I've got Montego Blue w/sport too and really like it.

hot_croc
05-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Congrats, Larry! Glad you finally got your new ride!

P.S. Hope all is well with your wife.

Andrew*Debbie
05-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Finally here!

So you went for Sand Beige/Black after all. Montego Blue and Sport package. :freakdanc

Something weird went on down at the VPC; arrived April 7th, released for transport April 9th, went back in to the VPC :dunno: and released again on the 22nd.

They may have scratched the car loading it on a truck. Or someone noticed something at the last minute.

Unfortunately, all those shenanigans at the VPC meant my wife missed the arrival of the new blue baby -- she is down at Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale getting a bone marrow transplant. :yikes:

Best wishes to your wife. At least her car will be waiting for her when she gets out of the Hospital.

LMC
05-01-2008, 07:59 AM
Yeah. I gave the sales guy the third degree on the body damage possibility, but he thought it probably was not that or a little D would show up in some field on the paperwork. Not worried anyway -- by repute the VPCs are excellent at undoing little boo-boos. The paint looked good to me.

They may have scratched the car loading it on a truck. Or someone noticed something at the last minute.

Thanks everyone for the kind wishes. My wife had her chemo Monday evening and got her stem cells yesterday.

Unfortunately, we know exactly what to expect since this is round number two; she had the same thing done in 2000 in Boston. Within the next few days, she will feel like she has been run over by a train :( but then everything after that is up, up and up.

Evlengr
05-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Larry

Take her to the "Willows" spa at the Fairmont in Scottsdale. My wife and I love it. It's a chance to be spoiled and just talk together. A spa treatment also lets you have full run of the facilities for the day. The aroma therapy room is our favorite.

Glad you like your X3....Congratz and hope the wife is well.

IndyMike
05-02-2008, 05:07 AM
Congrats Larry.

What did you do with the Sportwagon?

Are you going to hand it down to the Llama's like they asked? :angel:

And my prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery for your wife.

LMC
05-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Congrats Larry.

What did you do with the Sportwagon?

Are you going to hand it down to the Llama's like they asked? :angel:

And my prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery for your wife.

Thanks, Mike! I'm gonna find a new home for the 325iT -- a little preoccupied at the moment to clean it up and advertise it and all that. I hope I can find the right buyer for it -- with the SMG it's either love or hate.

I am definitely not gonna give the E46 to the llamas -- I don't feel they are mature enough to handle it. I mean, how would you feel if a neighbor's dozen or so llamas stuffed themselves in a car and careened around the neighborhood tearing the streets up? Good way to alienate everybody. :eeps: They need to concentrate on their main job -- eating grass. :D

In all fairness, I did consider letting them have a "llamamobile" and let them try out the 325iT a month or so ago. The experiment did NOT go well :tsk: ... photos attached. They scraped almost all the red paint off, somehow pried the roundels off and then, forgetting what make the car was, decided to cover up their deeds by painting the brand name on the rear fender. :mad: Nice try -- actually the best lettering I've ever seen a llama do, but the guessed the make wrong. Fortunately, I've got a good body shop and it's back to looking good now. :bigpimp:

AzNMpower32
05-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Oh wow, that's a hawt 325iT. You got a rare one, especially with the SMG. I remember testing a 325i sport sedan with SMG and I didn't see anything wrong with it. Out of curiosity, does hitting the Sport button under acceleration produce a nice "kick" like it does in the M3?

LMC
05-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Oh wow, that's a hawt 325iT. You got a rare one, especially with the SMG. I remember testing a 325i sport sedan with SMG and I didn't see anything wrong with it. Out of curiosity, does hitting the Sport button under acceleration produce a nice "kick" like it does in the M3?

The sport button on the M3 simply remaps the throttle, as far as I know. So if I start my M3 and hit sport while idling in neutral, there is no kick; The throttle goes to WOT with less travel than when not in sport. If you are driving down the road at, say, 30% throttle, and push the sport button, there is a kick of a sort, since the throttle instantly goes from 30% to, say, 50%. Just a gimmick, I think.

The the non-M SMG cars, the sport button remaps the shifting -- in the same way that DS does for the Steptronic or Drivelogic does for the M3 SMG or DCT. But I never use automatic mode on my SMG, so I just ignore the sport button.

LMC
05-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Wheels & tires - check.
Debadged (sides only) - check.
Mud guards - check.
Rear door sunshades - check.

It looks to me like removing the kidney grilles requires removing the front bumper first. :eek: I may defer the changeover of the vertical grille bars to gloss black...

ubermax
05-03-2008, 04:11 AM
We ordered the X3 in Silver Grey with Grey leather and Grey Poplar trim- like that Grey !! ----sport activity, cold weather, MT, Xenon, servotronic steering, heated wheel, & rear airbags.

As a side note just yesterday I talked to someone at my company who is driving an '08 manual and loves it - also got some dealership service feedback.

Info on this forum helped alot in our decision.

cer2225
05-03-2008, 05:15 AM
ubermax

Congrats...

What feedback did your dealer give you on the A/T? My dealer checked with his service manager and said that they did have a few complaints in early 07 but nothing lately as well he said that 3 employees at the dealership drove A/T's and have no issues. (I saved the email) I didn't have much time to change my mind as my X3 went into production pretty quick.

Hard to figure out what is gong on here. There have been a few posts from people that have no problems but it seems that it's those that do are pretty vocal which is understandable as I will be if I have any problems. It would be nice to hear from more people that have no issues with their A/T.

Terry J. Harris
05-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Larry - Looks great!

Ubermax - Congratulations!

LMC
05-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Thanks, Terry. Good things come to those who wait. Your 3-pedal beauty will be here before you know it! :D

By the way, also appreciate the tips on Scottsdale from both you and Evl, but not this trip. Based on past experience, Mrs C will be forbidden from a wide range of food items (particularly fresh fruits and vegetables/ salads) for quite a while, will have little appetite and lots of nausea.

Larry - Looks great!

hot_croc
05-03-2008, 12:17 PM
It looks to me like removing the kidney grilles requires removing the front bumper first. :eek: I may defer the changeover of the vertical grille bars to gloss black...
Definitely let us know if you swap the grills... that's one of the 2 things left for our X and the level of difficulty would be nice to know. :)

LMC
05-04-2008, 09:42 PM
Definitely let us know if you swap the grills... that's one of the 2 things left for our X and the level of difficulty would be nice to know. :)

I may try to tackle it sooner or later.

The other big project I was thinking about it was removing the roof rails. I looked into that one and the simplified version runs something like: (1) remove headliner, (2) reposition head airbags, (3).... I quit reading there. :yikes: Ain't gonna do it. Add to that some elaborate instructions on torquing the fasteners to avoid roof leaks.... just gave me a bad feeling... Decided to skip that one.

By the way, the more I look at the black & sand interior, the more I like it. The hint of yellow in the leather looks great! I think we both made a great choice!

hot_croc
05-05-2008, 07:21 AM
The other big project I was thinking about it was removing the roof rails. I looked into that one and the simplified version runs something like: (1) remove headliner, (2) reposition head airbags, (3).... I quit reading there. :yikes: Ain't gonna do it. Add to that some elaborate instructions on torquing the fasteners to avoid roof leaks.... just gave me a bad feeling... Decided to skip that one.
Yikes! I don't blame you! (And I'll keep that in mind next time hubby mentions trying to remove them. :p)

By the way, the more I look at the black & sand interior, the more I like it. The hint of yellow in the leather looks great! I think we both made a great choice!
Awesome! We just looooooooooove that combo interior - stunning!

Cheers,