PDA

View Full Version : Need Help - iPod

bburke25
02-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi, just bought a 2004 X3. The car came equipped with an integrated apple usb cord in the glove compartment. When I connect my ipod it read "BMW" on the ipod display and seems to also be charging my ipod. However, I can not seem to play any songs on the radio from my ipod. I don't see an "aux" option on the radio. It looks like the only options I have are CD and Radio. Is it possible the apple usb cord that's in the glove compartment is only used to charge an ipod?

Can anyone help?

bburke25
02-08-2008, 02:12 PM
Ok, I just figured it out...kind of. I'm now able to play music from my ipod to the radio. It sound great. However, I don't have much control over playlists. It seems like it's set to play in alphabetical order based on the name of the band. Any idea how I can get it to play one of the playlists instead?

skitime
02-08-2008, 02:39 PM
To play, you need to set up playlists named BMW1, BMW2, etc. You can select which playlist by the radio control buttons 1, 2 ,3....You can have them play randomly, and that's about it. You can't browse by artist, song or anything.

bburke25
02-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks for the info. It worked like a charm.

Evlengr
02-08-2008, 03:04 PM
Or get the new Alpine head unit and control it all---*smirk*

aarthy
02-09-2008, 05:27 AM
Hi , i got ipod solution from bmw installed on my X3. I use ipod nano 3.gen. but it plays only the first 99 songs in my ipod, then it starts from 01. Anynone have this problem on their x3?

eldorado01
02-09-2008, 10:31 AM
I also have an "04 X3 and just got my first ipod, an 80gb classic. I haven't seen any USB connector on my glove compartment, but I believe it wasn't available if you chose to have Siirus radio, like I did then. I read the instructions on how to use the ipod on the truck, and I don't want to lose control of my carefully crafted lists full of '80 crap which is likely to be ridiculed by my passengers. Does anybody know of a FM transmitter (Monster Cable, Griffin) that works reasonably well with the X3? And if you recommend any, please be specific not only in brand but also on model.

x3ronnie
02-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Why not get an aux input installed? You will get much better sound quality than with an FM transmitter. I had mine installed at the dealer for a very reasonable price. The standard location is in the glovebox, but it can be done in the ashtray or other more convenient locations.

eldorado01
02-10-2008, 10:29 AM
I have a few more questions on that idea:

Can I then control my ipod thru the display on the radio or just on the ipod itself?

Does it charge the ipod or do I depend on the battery charge?