PDA

View Full Version : It's been fun folks

kjboyd
02-08-2008, 03:37 PM
but i just bought a Volvo. I know, lord help me... after twenty years of BMWs.
hope you all with trans troubles get them taken care of soon.
kevin

Andrew*Debbie
02-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Enjoy the Volvo.

Debbie had a V40 for a while. It wasn't a bad car, but it wasn't trouble free either. Most cars aren't.

Evlengr
02-08-2008, 05:24 PM
Won't say good luck since you already go it by getting rid of your X3.

Just don't think a Volvo will be my choice when I get rid of mine.

I'm personally hoping for a MT.

hunterz4
02-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Enjoy the Volvo.

Debbie had a V40 for a while. It wasn't a bad car, but it wasn't trouble free either. Most cars aren't.

KJ - Enjoy the Volvo. I came into my X3 from a virtually trouble free XC 70. The transmission got a little slack at about 55000 miles.:yikes: Loved the seats.

thebmw
02-08-2008, 08:31 PM
I congratulate you on your ability to get rid of the x3...but of all the cars, why the volvo? There are a lot of other SUV or crossover or true Jeep vehicles out there that are rated objectively and subjectively as better. The Volvo doesn't shine in any of those categories...no offense at all.

UncleJ
02-08-2008, 08:32 PM
kj, Smooth Seas and fair winds! My two daughters have Volvos, an XC70 and XC90. Both love them and (knock on wood) no trouble. I will probably get a XC90 V8 Sport in a year or so (European Delivery) because I need the extra seats to haul the grandkids. Good luck to you!

kjboyd
02-08-2008, 08:36 PM
just to clarify.. i've looked at more cars this last three months than ever before.. and the Volvo is the first that i have NOTHING to complain about after the test drive. It is the LAST car i thought i would ever own, but it worked for me... and nearly $10,000 off sticker wasn't bad either.

thanks everyone!

Zoltar
02-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Good luck bro.
I hope it works out well for you.

AzNMpower32
02-08-2008, 08:51 PM
What happened to the Honda Civic you were considering?

thebmw
02-08-2008, 09:05 PM
True, you can get some great deals on Volvos. And they are safe. As long as you like it, that's what counts.

kjboyd
02-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Azn: I just couldn't do it, the civic that is.

Mitch3672
02-08-2008, 09:41 PM
but i just bought a Volvo. I know, lord help me... after twenty years of BMWs.
hope you all with trans troubles get them taken care of soon.
kevin

:D Don't worry it's not goodbye. We'll be seeing 'em in, oh about 4-6 months once he gets back his sanity. The reality will then hit, the Volvo will be gone in total feverish desperation to get back into a Bimmer. Meanwhile you will be wondering through the tears of joy (once the Volvo is dealt with) what he ever thought could be so wrong with the X3 and Step.

A sense of peaceful relief will surround you as your watery eyes gaze upon the showroom floor filled with real cars. :)

kjboyd
02-08-2008, 09:57 PM
thanks Mitch! the only BMW i would get back into at this point is a '73 2002tii.

maybe a '72 convertible.

Mitch3672
02-08-2008, 10:15 PM
thanks Mitch! the only BMW i would get back into at this point is a '73 2002tii.

maybe a '72 convertible.

Spend some time away and then... we'll see...;)

kjboyd
02-08-2008, 10:53 PM
=)

The BoatMan
02-09-2008, 06:41 AM
Good luck! Youll be back someday....

kjboyd
02-09-2008, 08:21 AM
someday... just not right now. I don't like any of the current models at all. and i refuse to buy another X3 at this point.

thebmw
02-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Folks, the manufacturing and engineering is increasingly global and competition and pricing is becoming increasingly more competitive. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't "come back". And I woundn't blame him. BMW has an arrogant attitude toward customer service and their vehicles, not routinely found with other automakers...X3 for example. That doesn't fair well in a competitive market. Again, congrats on you move on...

hot_croc
02-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Cheers, kj!
Maybe you'll be back, maybe you won't... but thanks for your input here!
And enjoy your new ride!

STE92VE
02-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Good luck with your new ride and hope you enjoy many safe miles.

Evlengr
02-09-2008, 12:51 PM
KJ once again congrats and GL. I think I will be going with an RDX if I can get rid of the X3.

Tried as I may I couldn't find this turbo lag that is talked about. I ran the vehicle through 30 miles of all types or road conditions, from complete UB's and stomping on the gas, to dead starts, hairpin back roads, pot hole roads, and highway conditions.

Next week I will be taking one home for the weekend to see what it does.

Mitch3672
02-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Folks, the manufacturing and engineering is increasingly global and competition and pricing is becoming increasingly more competitive. I wouldn't be shocked if he doesn't "come back". And I woundn't blame him. BMW has an arrogant attitude toward customer service and their vehicles, not routinely found with other automakers...X3 for example. That doesn't fair well in a competitive market. Again, congrats on you move on...

I agree about globalization, nothing new at all, but, sorry yours is a statement from a non enthusiast. Sure doorlocks, injection systems, all kinds of stuff is globalize but not the spirit nor the engineering of a BMW. Take the inline 6 for example. Need I say more... not to enthusiasts of these fantastic cars.:thumbup:

Mitch3672
02-09-2008, 01:47 PM
KJ once again congrats and GL. I think I will be going with an RDX if I can get rid of the X3.

Tried as I may I couldn't find this turbo lag that is talked about. I ran the vehicle through 30 miles of all types or road conditions, from complete UB's and stomping on the gas, to dead starts, hairpin back roads, pot hole roads, and highway conditions.

Next week I will be taking one home for the weekend to see what it does.

RDX = turbo CRV with even less spirit and passion. :thumbdwn:

thebmw
02-09-2008, 05:28 PM
I agree about globalization, nothing new at all, but, sorry yours is a statement from a non enthusiast. Sure doorlocks, injection systems, all kinds of stuff is globalize but not the spirit nor the engineering of a BMW. Take the inline 6 for example. Need I say more... not to enthusiasts of these fantastic cars.:thumbup:

I can see how you can think I'm a non-enthusiast, but that's not the case. Actually it's the exact opposite. I am a car enthusiast, which means I know cars well (actually very well) and I am critical of them. I identify the good and bad points of each car and I try to leave emotion out of it. I own and have owned BMWs...some good, some extremely bad (my most unfavorite car was my 330xi-POS!!!). BMW owners tend to be ridiculously emotionally and arrogant about their cars...to the point of making themselves look foolish and ignorant. Sure the inline 6 is nice. The 335 is a great twin turbo engine, BMW's are well balanced, etc. But BMWs are not perfect. Let's be realistic and objective. The X3 really is an overpriced, problem laden vehicle. There are better products in the 40-50K category.

325ic a beer
02-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Bye and be safe for Gods sake..

Evlengr
02-09-2008, 06:04 PM
I can agree there is passion related to BMW but not in the car--that passion is with the owners.

I readily applaud the folks on this site for their involvment with their BMW's.

If not for you I would have bought into the Baloney fed to me by the dealer and BMWNA and thought it was the way "all awds drive" or the other bs steak they served up.

This site is almost as effective as "IM'ing" a dozen folks. Near instant answer.

The Acura site is no where near as good as you people. So if that is passion great, but I cannot be "Passionate" about a car that fails me when I need it.

In a metropolitan area with stop and go traffic that is connected to suburbia by high speed interstates you need a vehicle that won't let you down when you need it. And since I have to wait until all traffic clear before I merge (for fear the car might do the stuttter stall) I am now no better than the old lady in a Buick LeSabre with those big funny brown sun glasses. Yeah that is real passion there.

I think my next "Passion" after this will be a 968 or an Elise. A BMW? Like I said on another post they are going to have to earn back my respect, then they can get back my heart.

Most of the BMW X3's serious competitors are $10 - 15k cheaper than it. What does that tell you? Just because they are not zealots doesn't mean the cars aren't good.

HT417
02-10-2008, 01:21 AM
KJ - all the best and good luck with your new Volvo! I think you'll like it. I sold a 2004 model to buy my X3. I wanted AWD with a RWD bias and some more space. I got it all as long the AT behaves. But I do miss the Volvo with its comfortable seats and the solid sound the doors make when they close. Your best gas mileage will be around 80mph and if your 6AT performs as well as my 5AT did you should be really happy.

Don't forget to come visit every now and then. :beerchug:

viii_ball
02-10-2008, 10:01 AM
KJ:

GL and enjoy the new ride. Don't let some of the others here ruffle your feathers. It is a shame that we can't spend what normal people earn in a year on a car and expect it to perform. This is the first BMW we have owned but not the first high end car. In fact we traded a Porsche in on the X3 (still have one in may garage tough :thumbup:). More than being unhappy with the drive of the X3, we initially had bad experiences with the service department at our dealership. We were treated like I was bringing in my $14k Scion for service. Not what I expected. When I arrive at the Porsche dealership, the SA comes out and greets me by name. I know he doesn't know me by name, he looks me up in his computer real quick. But it shows a level of commitment to customer service. And bottom line this is what has really soured me on BMW. I want to be treated like a customer, not $$$.

I will say the SM has taken a little bit more time recently which has been better.

kjboyd
02-10-2008, 09:23 PM
here it is... and the new license plate to go with it!
I'm having serious separation anxiety tonight.. so be nice!!!!

HT417
02-10-2008, 10:02 PM
Love the license plate. :rofl:.

Evlengr
02-11-2008, 07:01 AM
After a year of owning this car I figure I would have fun with it to.

I see that in MD "LMN BMW" is open.

KJ if you are feelin bad we can always trade.

Sans Nil
02-11-2008, 09:06 AM
Good luck with the volvo, KJ, and thanks for all your great posts in the Fest here.

Do drop by after a few months and give us an update of life post-X3 and how you're enjoying the new wheels.

Take care!

airboss1998
02-15-2008, 02:44 PM
here it is... and the new license plate to go with it!
I'm having serious separation anxiety tonight.. so be nice!!!!K, I'm relatively new to the forum, but have followed your plight. Good luck with the Volvo, I almost bought a C70 before I bought my Z3 (there are days I wish had the four seats and size, but then I drive the Z3....:)).

Just curious, what was the disposition of your X3? Will someone else get stuck with it :thumbdwn: or will it be shredded?:violent: