PDA

View Full Version : 95 M3 Upgrades

RobertMLo
02-09-2008, 12:24 AM
My 95 is stock except for the Dinan Carbon CAI, Dinan Stressbar, UUC Exhaust and wider 18" wheels and am considering a chip as well as suspension. Comments on Comforti chip, Bilstein, Koni, coilovers? Any advice would be appreciated.

PPG4
02-09-2008, 02:03 AM
My 95 is stock except for the Dinan Carbon CAI, Dinan Stressbar, UUC Exhaust and wider 18" wheels and am considering a chip as well as suspension. Comments on Comforti chip, Bilstein, Koni, coilovers? Any advice would be appreciated.

Really depends on what your goals are and how much you want to spend. Is this a daily driver? Are you looking for improved acceleration or do you want to focus on improving handling? There are lots of things you can do that are great for the track, but will get really annoying on a street car. Going to solid bushings is a great example... razor sharp handling, but living with all of the extra noise can get nerve racking on rough roads.

Conforti - Seems to be the standard all software is compared to. If your car came with the Dinan CAI, there's a good chance it may already have software.

Bilstein - well made, but yesterday's news. Relatively inexpensive.

Koni - again, the standard, primarily because so many coilovers use their inserts.

Unless you want to step up to monotube (Moton, JRZ, AST/Vorshlag), your best bet is TC Kline, though lots of people like Ground Control.

I'd suggest you check out the 'usual' suspects:

www.turnermotorsport.com
www.bimmerworld.com
www.uucmotorwerks.com

Then do a little soul searching about where you want to go with your car; prioritize what you feel are the areas that are most important for you to improve.

Cheers.

rrsperry
02-15-2008, 04:04 PM
If all you have is a CAI, then you owe it to yourself to get the 3.5 HFM and matching chip. My 95 picked up 23rwhp with the Conforti intake, HFM, chip, and suersprint exhaust.

Bilstein never go the valving right for the E36 M3. I don't recommend them at all.

Koni's are fine as long as you don't get stupid with spring rates.

Both GC and the TC Kline suspension packages are really well sorted out.

Get an x brace, best $120 you can spend.

Welcome...

RobertMLo
02-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Excellent feedback and agreed with both comments. Since I installed the Dinan CAI, I know there is no chip. Any ideas if Comforti chip and HFM will give problems with CA smog? I think this combo will be my next purchase as I already installed the x brace.

rrsperry
02-20-2008, 03:51 AM
Should be no problem at all.

RobertMLo
03-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Can I put an HFM if I already have a Dinan CAI or does it only fit with a Comforti HFM? My other question is Coils vs Springs/Shocks? Coilovers are more expensive than separate springs/shock package. Is there a significant performance difference or is it just weight and having everything in 1 unit. Appears that many people do the springs/shocks and then are forced to sell this combo package and eventually convert to coils? Is the price difference about $400-$500. How many people have done the separate springs/shocks and then end up regretting it? Feedback would be appreciated.

rrsperry
03-08-2008, 06:15 PM
You can, but... The idea is to make the intake 3.5" almost everywhere, not to have the volume go up and down from a 3.0 intake to a 3.5 HFM, to a 3"... You want 3.5 up to the TB. For to see any benefit, you need a 3.5 intake kit, and tuning to make it run.

As to springs or coilovers... You want a real answer or not?

Here goes. Coilovers are a pretty big waste of $ for 97% of everybody that buys them.

1.) most people with COs have the ride height at about the same level as H&R race springs. I guess that would be ok if you lived in some smooth road, no winter, speedbump and no driveway place. I don't...

Most people have as much chance of correctly setting up coilovers as Wile E Coyote does of catching the Roadrunner by strapping a rocket to his own ass.

That said, to get it pretty right, talk to Ground control, or the guys at T.C. Kline about, at least a single adjustable setup based on what you tell them you want and need. Are you really going to take advise from the idiots on the internet? Drop a dime, and talk to the pros.

cky751
03-10-2008, 08:01 PM
yeah go with the 3.5 hfm if you want the power