PDA

View Full Version : DIYers - Thoughts on aftermarket brake pads

TXSTYLE
02-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Yes or No? :dunno:

I posted this when I first joined bimmerfest over a year ago. I explained that I knew what I was getting into even before I bought my 7! I'm very observant and I noticed that on most European cars, particularly BMW and Benz, that brake dust was waaaay out of hand... Especially on 7's! :yikes:
I have owned many different makes and models of cars and I have tried many different brake pads because I'm a "shoe guy". Meaning all of my cars need new shoes. :D With this in mind, i always seek out some low-dusting yet solid performing pads. (don't want zero dust but I end up sliding into an intersection when it's raining and get T-boned by a bus :yikes: )

I tried telling folks here about the very first and BEST mod i have performed on my 7, but no one seemed interested. :dunno:
Again, I say to you that the pads I currently have on my 7 are the BEST I HAVE EVER USED ON ANY CAR!
Not only are they CERAMICS (right there you know you have a low dusting high quality product being used on supercars) but they are manufactured by a reputable company of OEM pads: AKEBONO

Should you be interested and really want to stop all the dust and retain high perfromance and quietness all at the same time... Look no further than here:

http://www.akebonobrakes.com/aftermarket/euro/index.html

European car owners across North America now have a brake pad solution that will keep their wheels virtually free from dust and provide the European stopping power they expect. The use of highly advanced ceramic brake pad technology allows Akebono***8217;s ***8220;EURO***8221; pad line to provide excellent stopping power while extending rotor life and virtually eliminating brake dust.

Akebono is determined to focus on the creation of value in all products. For over two decades, Akebono Ceramic Technology (ACT) has been the original equipment (OE) standard on many of North America***8217;s passenger cars, light trucks, and SUVs and has set the benchmark for ceramic pads used in OE vehicle production. Most importantly, European OE manufacturers now request Akebono products for their North American vehicles.

Akebono***8217;s Aftermarket disc pads contain the same materials, engineering, quality standards, and advanced technologies used to create their OE ceramic brake pads. The use of Akebono ceramic brake pads ensures customer satisfaction and eliminates unnecessary return visits to the shop.

Part # EURO918 for all 02'-07' 7-Series

Now don't ever say "Nobody told me about these?" :eeps:

:thumbup:

tkasser
02-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Ok, so where do you buy them?

erunithug
02-09-2008, 01:56 PM
of all the cars i have ever had, the worst brake dust problem was with my 3 series.

sunny_j
02-09-2008, 02:36 PM
so how does the braking power compare to the oem pads?

LBC X5
02-09-2008, 10:56 PM
I've heard good things about them.. i have the axxis super deluxe on mine.. and also love them

M.Wong
02-10-2008, 12:41 AM
I can't speak for the E65/66 but I have had Akebono Euros for the E38, front and rear, for about the last 15K miles...

Some braking sharpness is decreased, you give up some of the crisp feel of the pedal, especially when first hitting the pedal. I don't know that the OEM feeling can be had from anything but OEM. Two things... you get used to the feel after about a week, and the pads seem to settle or 'bed' in after about the same time. In comparison to the OEM pads on my E39, there is clearly a difference in initial sharp or crispness... but it's not a problem once some time passes.

Yet no complaints about overall performance. I did several 80MPH down to 10MPH panic stop-like tests and the braking power was all there.

Just give yourself some extra room, especially if you are in rush hour stop and go, when you first get them. Once you get the feel of them, you will not think twice.

Dustless? Yes, very much so! I can wash the wheels with the same sponge as the rest of the car. Before, the car sponge always rotated out to be the wheel sponge. If you don't wash the car even a couple months, you don't get a week's worth of OEM pad front wheel brake dust. The dust that does appear is lighter and not as thick.

Mine came from BimmerZone.com and I think TireRack.com also had them. Again, this was for the E38.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/mwong/Brembo%20Akebono.JPG

http://www.bimmerboard.com/members/mwong/Skagit%202.JPG
(Yes, the x-drilled holes are facing the right way - according to Brembo's specs of these rotors.)

745ByMySide
02-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Yeah right, I will never switch from OEM but thats only my .02

Chevere
02-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Ok, so where do you buy them?

+1

dannydos
02-10-2008, 08:49 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E65-E66-745-760-i-Li-Brake-Disc-Pad-Pads-Rotor-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ015QQitem Z250192537079

ebay....is the only place that has them for e65/66....im still looking

dannydos
02-10-2008, 08:54 AM
tons of mixed reviews on brake pads for e65/66(in general)...on the net...this person is saying he loves them....http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e65/8612524-1.html

only people with these pads should be commenting on them... imo

TXSTYLE
02-10-2008, 09:02 AM
Sorry for the delayed response guys. Got to spend time with the Fams. ;)

I'm actually trying to track down my receipt, email, and or website. I can't seem to remember, but I know TireRack also carries them. At the time however, they didn't have my application. I will continue to search if you guys DO want them.

I like M. Wong's evaluation as it is quite accurate. I noticed an ever so slight cushion in the very beginning, but after about a few days, they firmed up just like stock to me. Another plus is ceramic pads don't require "bedding-in". As he mentioned, no pad will be quite as grabby as OEM and thus that's why their so damn dusty... because they are such a soft compound. BUT... do not let this deter you guys! I am here to confirm that they stop on a dime... period!!! They wear very well as I don't take any modification to my cars for granted. And again, they are practically dust-free. I would imagine if and when I decide to install cross-drilled rotors, it will get even better. Why? the holes actually draw more dust towards the inside of the wheel. However.... They also cool down alot more quickly and take more stopping to heat up, and typically high-performance pads require some heat to grab better.

In a nutshell... these pads rock on this car!

Din
02-10-2008, 12:14 PM
ive also been telling ppl to go with the akenbno dustless pads. Ive had them on for a year and they seem to work great.

Stefan7
02-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Do these new pads mess with warranty?

TXSTYLE
02-10-2008, 07:31 PM
If they do Stef, I haven't been informed by my dealer.... Come to think of it. No need to really mention it unless they are about to service your brakes. ;)

ProRail
02-10-2008, 08:00 PM
Now don't ever say "Nobody told me about these?" :eeps:
:thumbup:
Okay.....I promise.

chart505
02-11-2008, 04:55 AM
FWIW, I have used the Mintex "red box" pads on every BMW I have owned over the years. They are also very low dust and retain most of the OEM feel.

Lappy
02-11-2008, 05:01 AM
Make it sticky or something ;)
This is a question asked once a week.

TXSTYLE
02-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Make it sticky or something ;)
This is a question asked once a week.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

blk45
02-11-2008, 07:29 PM
www.rockauto.com has good pricing on these.

Chevere
02-12-2008, 01:39 PM
www.rockauto.com has good pricing on these.

blk45,

is that price for both the front? and same for the rear?

blk45
02-12-2008, 07:58 PM
blk45,

is that price for both the front? and same for the rear?

Fronts EUR918 = $85.79
Rears EUR919 = $70.89

Chevere
02-13-2008, 08:48 AM
Fronts EUR918 = $85.79
Rears EUR919 = $70.89

fronts and rears come in a set right? one set will do both wheels?

Thanks

blk45
02-13-2008, 10:04 AM
fronts and rears come in a set right? one set will do both wheels?

Thanks

Correct. Front set = 4 pads (1 pair for the left and 1 pair for the right) Rear is the same.

Chevere
02-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Correct. Front set = 4 pads (1 pair for the left and 1 pair for the right) Rear is the same.

got it!! thanks

4havbimmer
04-27-2008, 10:46 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion regarding the brake dust for a 2000 740i

Blue Bimmer
09-05-2008, 08:49 AM
How can I tell if the rotors really need to be replaced? Dealer said I should do it... but that's the dealer.

drivinfaster
09-08-2008, 06:51 PM
there are specs for the minimum rotor thickness, maximum runout (trueness to the hub),
as well as the difference from side to side thickness on each of the faces on vented rotors. (solid type rotors do not have this, as they are, well, solid...)

most shops just measure the rotor thickness and compare to the machine to spec. (usually 0.020" above discard if no spec is given is what i remember using when no spec was available).

if rotors are recommended, then they would be below machine to specs, pitted, have hard spots, severly grooved, or way out of runout spec (warped beyond machining to fix a pulsation concern).

if rotors are suggested,, it could be because that while they may be above spec, they will be at or close to (even below) 'machine to' spec (less than 0.020" left before machine to spec is reached) or 1 rotor is already there, while the other one may "technically" be able to be machined. this will create a side to side difference with regards to heat, thermal dissipation, and in all likelyhood, creat a pulsation in the rotor that was machined instead of being replaced. this variance could be as much as 0.040" or so, sometimes more, sometimes less. rule of thumb, though, is if 1 rotor is beyond spec, and the other will be almost there, replace both. that, or the owner will have to pay for the rotor and the labor to install it if a pulsation occurs in the rotor that was not replaced.

regardless, if there are no specs on your rotor thickness, question the recommendation. in fact, just questioning what the spec is and where your rotors are should be enough to thwart an unscrupulous service advisor. they should be written on the repair order. i know techs will try to sell rotors to make the job go quicker, because i worked at a dealership with 13 other guys and i was the only one that had a micrometer. very few even knew how to read a micrometer.

if you do go aftermarket for rotors, i have used brembo, wagner, and raybestos (not the off line for these on bmw, but their premium line is good) on all makes and models. only if the vehicle is a clunker would i use the 'off brand' stuff from raybestos (they all make them, though, so don't be fooled...)

hope this helps.

df

cjezzy05745Li
09-09-2008, 08:40 PM
i just changed my pads today. the job was pretty much similar to the domestic cars im used to. i went with semi mettalic in the rear and ceramic in the front. the rotors were in fairly good condition so i chose to keep them since im saving up for an entire brembro upgrade kit and the 21" 128's. im getting great stopping power and this is from a guy with a semi-lead foot ;) I LOVE THIS CAR!

Mr.Quarter-to-8
09-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey can I change my oil my Self?

slvr_bullet
10-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks TXStYLE for sharing this. I installed the AKEBONO pads to the front of my 2004 745 LI 3weeks ago,
So far no dust...I cant wait to change out rear ones too..Performance a little spongy

but I got to compensate real quick, well worth it though.

Big Chunk
10-28-2008, 08:21 PM
This is my first post and I was fortunate to find a topic thread that specifically addressed the issue of Brake Replacement. I will be replacing the brakes on my 2000 740iL and I wanted to thank you all for being informative. :thumbup:

I'm not sure if I can ride on the tail of this thread or start a new one, but I'll go ahead and ask if anyone has performed a brake installation on their own and whether there were any tricks or traps or special tools needed? I've replaced brakes before on American made cars I've owned but this is my first BMW and I want to get things right.

I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to ask this, but also want to thank you in advance for any insights.

BC

Dre750LI
04-22-2009, 09:44 AM
06 750LI newbie!!! x3weeks. I have a service appt concerning transmission choppiness (shifting from D to R etc..) Are there any other common issues that you guys have experienced that might warrant mentioning during my service visit? I'm at 46k and want to address as much as possible early. (No worries, I did purchase the 100k warrant):eeps:

740wired1
05-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the info on the akebono pads. Was having real bad time removing dust from my rims. I am going to try them on my front and rear. I will check also for my wife's c-class.;)

Din
05-04-2009, 07:24 AM
i have a brand new set of akenbono pads forsale. 120$ shipped.

TXSTYLE
05-04-2009, 02:39 PM
i have a brand new set of akenbono pads forsale. 120$ shipped.

Ceramics?

mike2tboulevard
05-22-2009, 07:47 AM
went with fcp groton:
E65 E66 Zimmermann & Akebono 4 Corner Brake Kit Model Range
Qty: 1 Price Ea: $550.00
Total Price: $550.00

i received and additional discount to about $524. caddy mechanic friend installed them in 2hours in his driveway.
took about 3 weeks to imbed. really slick in the beginning...when approaching traffic as i normally did with oem pads was like whooaaaa.....stop! but now little difference. prob a result of pedal pressure and imbed. clean wheels all the time with a simple wipe down when washing is great. wish i had these from the beginning as over the years that hot dust just burns its way into the wheel and never comes out. used some bar tenders friend (low abrasion version of comet) and its works well with some effort and doesnt leave scratches in the wheel.

mike2tboulevard
06-11-2009, 09:39 PM
getting a squeeling noise when pulling out of the garage or backing out of a parking spot.
anybody else getting a squeel?? almost sounds like a bald tire turning on a hot tar surface.
bad istall?? been onthe car for over a month and tis started.
any ideas or input?:dunno:

Tom1234
09-27-2009, 04:58 AM
I took the recommendation of TXSTYLE almost a year ago for my 745Li. I waited till it was out of warranty and I wouldn't be losing the chance at a warranty replacement and it was the best change I ever made to the car. If I had known, I would have changed them out while still under warranty. The car stops on a dime, I don't notice ANY difference in performance, and the wheels stay shiny forever. I never have to do a special wheel wash to get the car looking sharp again. So unless you enjoy washing your wheels every few days, take TXSTYLE's advice and make the switch. I had no trouble finding the pads on the internet.

TXSTYLE
09-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Thanks TOM! AND the main thing guys is just try em! You will be so grateful! This is easily the best mod one can perform to their BMW.

MaCaY
09-27-2009, 03:18 PM
thx for info i just ordered them...that dust was my worst nightmare..cant wait to get them installed

yuril
01-30-2010, 06:03 PM
I have just installed a set of front Akebonos. Braking seems to be a little softer, but nothing to worry about. I'll report the dust progress soon.

However, there is trouble resetting the service indicator. Reset procedure worked for me ('05 745i) many times before with oil and filters service intervals.
Now, I pressed the button and scrolled down to "RESET Fr. brake". The tachometer dial said "OK", but nothing was reset, and I am getting the silly "-11T miles" service reminder.
Does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks!

yuril
01-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Oops, just figured out that my old sensor was tripped a few miles before I changed the brake pads. Here's a forensic view of the sensor tip -- terminals A and B should have been connected (under a layer of plastic). Shorting the wires was a temporary fix until my new sensor arrives. And reset now works.

BM2U
02-14-2010, 12:41 PM
?does anyone have any suggestions for rotors? oem or something els? btw thanks for the thread very helpful.