PDA

View Full Version : Our Money's Worth From xDrive

Mitch3672
02-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Boy those of us in the North and North East sure are getting our xdrive's worth this winter.

Our X3 is a tank out there in this crazy snow/ice and frigid cold day after day. Many streets are hard packed in ice too making the city like an offroad course. The X3 absolutely loves tackling this tough winter with a higher ride height and robustness. The X3 has been impervious and really shines even in -30 windchills. This is a tough Bimmer.

xDrive rocks.:thumbup:

HT417
02-12-2008, 10:33 PM
Mitch - are you running the stock Pirellis or winter tires?

Mitch3672
02-12-2008, 10:38 PM
Mitch - are you running the stock Pirellis or winter tires?

I am running stock Michelin MXMs premium touring that came with the car. Nice tires, but winter tires they ain't. Still the car is unstoppable but it slips in turns quite a bit so I am always careful with entry speeds. My older X3 had the Scorpians, and those were great tires IMO. I would rate them better in snow than the Michelins, but the Michelins are probably a little nicer in dry and warmer months. (based on seat of pants)

Mystic1
02-12-2008, 10:52 PM
My wife has been pretty happy with the X3 in the snow, except for a little slipping on turns. We are on pace to set a record snowfall winter here, so you know it's been driven a lot in the snow. We have the 18" sports on there and still doing well.

Mitch3672
02-12-2008, 11:02 PM
My wife has been pretty happy with the X3 in the snow, except for a little slipping on turns. We are on pace to set a record snowfall winter here, so you know it's been driven a lot in the snow. We have the 18" sports on there and still doing well.

I hear that.

Just show how effective xDrive is providing max motivation even when wearing tennis shoes to a snow fight.

My only wish is that in the deeper stuff you can turn off the ABS as it interferes in the process of momentum by building unwanted pedal pressure that slow down any rocking if you need to manuvoeur in slow speed deep snow areas. A snow packed unplowed laneway for example

HT417
02-13-2008, 12:13 AM
I am running stock Michelin MXMs premium touring that came with the car. Nice tires, but winter tires they ain't. Still the car is unstoppable but it slips in turns quite a bit so I am always careful with entry speeds. My older X3 had the Scorpians, and those were great tires IMO. I would rate them better in snow than the Michelins, but the Michelins are probably a little nicer in dry and warmer months. (based on seat of pants)

That's good to hear about the Scorpions and the X3's handling in general... not that I really need them much this winter. This winter and last have been the mildest I've ever seen here. I've only shoveled snow twice.

STE92VE
02-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Still the car is unstoppable but it slips in turns quite a bit so I am always careful with entry speeds.

My wife has been pretty happy with the X3 in the snow, except for a little slipping on turns.

Do you guys see the DTC symbol flash when you experience these slips?

Mitch3672
02-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Do you guys see the DTC symbol flash when you experience these slips?

Yes sometimes. In deeper snow you press dtc to turn up the thresholds.

x3ml
02-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I would love to use SD in snow but with the rough shifts, I was always afraid that the X3 would loose traction and fishtail especially a curve when it shifts. Better stay with D or Manual. Is it just me?

Mitch3672
02-13-2008, 10:13 AM
I would love to use SD in snow but with the rough shifts, I was always afraid that the X3 would loose traction and fishtail especially a curve when it shifts. Better stay with D or Manual. Is it just me?

Drive to your comfort level. Me, I would have no issues using SD but use regular D or go to the tip mode. I don't bother much with SD mode. I like a little tail happiness, another reason to love Bimmmers with their near 50/50 weight distribution.

MJS
02-13-2008, 10:34 AM
You are right on the money with your assessment. I get unpredictable downshifts in SD. So I almost always use Manual Mode in the snow.

X3 Skier
02-13-2008, 04:58 PM
With over 374" of snow this year in Steamboat, I have had no problem with my OEM Scorpions with 36000+ miles on them. :thumbup:

Cheers

AzNMpower32
02-13-2008, 07:56 PM
I usually stick with D in snow. Unfortunately, good dry snow (the fun stuff to drift around in) is a rare treat for us.

Don't get me wrong, the X3 is amazing. Last year, it got thru a foot of snow that was packed down with sleet and freezing rain on top. It was literally like concrete. But the X3 got around (albeit with the wheels spinning and revs up to 4500rpm at times) with the snow tires and DSC totally off. We could not find a situation where it would be stuck, even on unplowed side streets and big snowbanks left by the plows. I will never forget the :wow: looks of those shoveling their driveway while seeing us get through.

HT417
02-13-2008, 11:24 PM
With over 374" of snow this year in Steamboat, I have had no problem with my OEM Scorpions with 36000+ miles on them. :thumbup:

Thanks for the info. As I look into the crystal ball I suddenly can't see snow tires anymore. :thumbup:

brosher
02-14-2008, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the info. As I look into the crystal ball I suddenly can't see snow tires anymore. :thumbup:

Don't fall into the typical SUV mindset. If you want to be able to turn and stop in snow/ice you need a good winter tire. Regardless of the drive train.

Sure it's passable without, but snows are the best safety feature you can have in the winter.

Mystic1
02-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Snow tires would definately be a good investment/improvement if you drive a lot in the snow. I would feel much safer with them on the car, esp since my wife drive's it mostly. However, the X3 is pretty darn good at getting around without them, you just have to be careful, and as stated above do not fall into the mindset it is unstoppable. It is an improvement over any FWD or RWD vehicle out there for sure. It all depends how much snow you get to justify the cost.
Since it is/was our first winter here, we didn't get snow tires. I plan on getting a set of dedicated summer rims/tires this summer, and put a good set of snow tires on the stock wheels for next winter (if I can find snow tires for 18's). If not, I have my eye on a few sets of 17's from an X5 on craigslist that come with snow tires that are pretty darn cheap.

HT417
02-15-2008, 02:36 AM
brosher & Mystic1,

You guys are absolutely correct and I'm really not as ignorant/arrogant about the subject as probably came across in my post.

The point I wanted to make was that if X3 Skier was able to negotiate through that much snow with the OEM Scorpions, then there was no need for me, with the little amount of snow and inclement weather we're getting around here now, to immediately go out and spend the money on the snow tires. The stock all-seasons combined with X-Drive would serve me well in the current conditions.

Although this is my first AWD vehicle, I don't expect miracles or to start feeling invincible. I've passed far too many 4x4's stuck in the Interstate medians in Wisconsin and Illinois to think otherwise. I only expect more reliable forward movement as I climb the hills to home and work. I always anticipate the worst since around here you can be enjoying a nice sunny drive one minute and then 100 meters later be involuntarily trying out for the skating olympics as you hit black ice around the next shaded curve.

In addition to being good on snow and ice, snow tires also improve stopping distances below 40 deg F on dry pavement because their siping and specific rubber compound maintain their grip better than the all-seasons or summers do. The rubber on the A/S's and especially the summers tends to harden in colder temps and correspondingly looses grip.

Thanks for calling it and keeping me on my toes. :thumbup:

HT417
02-15-2008, 05:33 AM
I just noticed my tires on the one I picked up yesterday are the Michelins and not the Scorpions I had before. :mad:.

Since it seems the opinions rank the Michelins worse in the snow, I guess I better prepare Plan B.

Mystic1
02-15-2008, 09:27 AM
HT, you did not come off as ignorant or arrogant in your post at all. Just wanted to give you my opinions on snow tires. Even though our X3 does very well in the snow with the Scorpions, after the winter we are having this year it will be wise to invest in some dedicated snow tires just to be safe. And yes, I too have seen many cars in Wisconsin not getting around too well.

AzNMpower32
02-15-2008, 10:00 AM
I run winter tires on the X3 and my parents' 325i on winters. The scary experience I had the first winter with the X3 convinced me that winter tires are preferred in the Mid-Atlantic.

This winter has been a mild one for the southeast and mid-Atlantic. This is also my first winter in Charlottesville, which is about 120mi (200km) south of where I call home. Down here, winter tires are a bit unnecessary, since on average we get less snow (and more ice) than the northern sections of the state. However, it may just be this winter; you never know how bad winter will be.

Court M3
02-15-2008, 06:44 PM
I usually stick with D in snow. Unfortunately, good dry snow (the fun stuff to drift around in) is a rare treat for us.

Don't get me wrong, the X3 is amazing. Last year, it got thru a foot of snow that was packed down with sleet and freezing rain on top. It was literally like concrete. But the X3 got around (albeit with the wheels spinning and revs up to 4500rpm at times) with the snow tires and DSC totally off. We could not find a situation where it would be stuck, even on unplowed side streets and big snowbanks left by the plows. I will never forget the :wow: looks of those shoveling their driveway while seeing us get through.

same stuff happening with me this year. This Bimmer really does rock!!

HT417
02-15-2008, 10:52 PM
HT, you did not come off as ignorant or arrogant in your post at all. Just wanted to give you my opinions on snow tires. Even though our X3 does very well in the snow with the Scorpions, after the winter we are having this year it will be wise to invest in some dedicated snow tires just to be safe. And yes, I too have seen many cars in Wisconsin not getting around too well.

Thanks! Just wanted to clarify in case I did.

Winter tires are normally one of the first additions you make around here but, as I said, with these last two winters it's almost like a waste of money.

Yeah, driving in Wisconsin used to blow my mind. Broncos, Jeeps, 4x4 pickups all out in the median and me with my '92 Dodge Caravan with 4 year old A/S tires and the guys driving the 18 wheelers owned the road. Crazy.

mkaresh
02-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Sorry, meant that for another thread.

In this one, I just wanted to chime in with those suggesting that braking and cornering are at least as important as forward traction. I'd go with the snows if you live where it, well, snows.