PDA

View Full Version : m3 or r32

confused
02-13-2008, 04:18 PM
hi there. I've been lurking around this site recently doing some research on getting a new car. I know many similar questions have been asked in the past but i was interested in getting some feedback. so i've narrowed my search down to a 2004 R32 (around $24k here in the bay area) or an e36 M3 ($10-16K). I'm wondering if a 100k mile m3 would be a better daily driver fun/reliable purchase than a 40K mile R32. I've driven an M3 years ago and remembered liking it alot, and just recently drove an R32 and really liked that as well. I'm also 6'4" so the comfort factor is a bit of an issue as well. additionally, I'm interested in a reliable vehicle that I can depend on, as well as somewhat conveniant for hauling a few golf bags/groceries/dead bodies etc. (do the rear seats of an m3 fold?) anyways thanks in advance for any feedback or opinions...

Black 840Ci
02-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Well id go for he M3 , as if you didnt already know this!! LOL

BDL
02-13-2008, 07:41 PM
I can't speak to the VW, but the rear seats in my '99 M3 coupe do fold down, and it is very comfortable for me -- 6' 5".

confused
02-13-2008, 08:59 PM
thanks for the replies. It's funny, the people on the R32 forum said get a VW... I guess my real concern with the bmw is if it's still fun to drive/ hassle free (within reason) at the higher mileage. Do you miss the creature comforts of more modern interiors (satelite radio, heated seats/mirrors etc.)?

ffej
02-13-2008, 10:21 PM
You'll actually find quite a few of the E36 M3s have heated seats, satellite radio is an easy enough addition and the car can be pretty darn reliable up to 200k miles, provided it hasn't been abused. You will have to do some maintenance on the car - bushings, cooling system, suspension, etc. but you can build that into the whole cost of buying the car.

The R32 is a damn good car, as well, just don't install a boost gauge (total inside joke that I hope *someone* gets)

kyfdx
02-14-2008, 07:30 AM
hi there. I've been lurking around this site recently doing some research on getting a new car. I know many similar questions have been asked in the past but i was interested in getting some feedback. so i've narrowed my search down to a 2004 R32 (around $24k here in the bay area) or an e36 M3 ($10-16K). I'm wondering if a 100k mile m3 would be a better daily driver fun/reliable purchase than a 40K mile R32. I've driven an M3 years ago and remembered liking it alot, and just recently drove an R32 and really liked that as well. I'm also 6'4" so the comfort factor is a bit of an issue as well. additionally, I'm interested in a reliable vehicle that I can depend on, as well as somewhat conveniant for hauling a few golf bags/groceries/dead bodies etc. (do the rear seats of an m3 fold?) anyways thanks in advance for any feedback or opinions...

I really like the R32, but now that VW has brought out the new model, I think you'll see a pretty good drop in value of the 2004 model over the next year... They've really held their value, but I think that will change..

All that said, you can do a lot of maintenance for the $10K you'll save buying an M3.. And, if it turns out you don't love it, you'll take less of a hit on resale...

sayemthree
02-15-2008, 04:11 PM
if you NEED a hatch or AWD get the VW. if you dont get an M3.

for $24k (price of the R32) you could probably get a e46 M3. I have a 2008 GTI and its a great car but not as near as fun as an M3.

I had a 98 e36 M3 sedan years ago and I am selling my e46 M3 to get a 2008 M3. once you drive an M3 you wont want anyting else!!! :)