PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance Program?

528imuza
02-14-2008, 06:14 PM
I've been a frequent reader but have never posted before. I am close to purchasing a CPO '04 or '05 X3 and had a question about the maintenance program the dealerships offer. Do you guys think it's worth it, I'm not a great wrench turner but do have a regular BMW indy.

I've been quoted by one dealer $1745 and another said it would be $1350. Are these prices set in stone and why the difference in $?

Reading the posts you guys are very helpful, can't wait to upgrade from my '97 528i!

AzNMpower32
02-14-2008, 07:44 PM
Well, the vehicle may still have some original warranty and maintenance included on it (first 4yr or 50k miles since in service date). Extended maintenance is usually not worth it as long as you have an indy shop and can do your own oil changes.

You will already have the extended CPO warranty given it is CPO. The prices are not set in stone and may vary from dealer to dealer because there is an extraordinarily high profit margin on it, and it is one of those things where the individual dealer may sell at whatever price they wish.

Andrew*Debbie
02-15-2008, 05:39 AM
I've been quoted by one dealer $1745 and another said it would be $1350. Are these prices set in stone and why the difference in $

You can buy the maint. extension from any BMW dealer in the US. As you have already found out, it is worth shopping around.

528imuza
02-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks guys, guess I'll leave out the program unless they "throw it in" for a good deal.

Rob V
02-15-2008, 10:22 AM
I've heard some people say it's not worth it to get the extended maintenance program. Would someone be able to run the numbers on this? The reason I ask is because if you add up the cost of a brake job, oil change and one of the regularly scheduled maintenance trips how much would that cost you? It SEEMS to me that the cost would be worth it but I could be completely wrong with that since I really haven't done much research on it. Can anyone share some figures so why to get the maintenance extension or not?

Andrew*Debbie
02-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks guys, guess I'll leave out the program unless they "throw it in" for a good deal.

It would be best to separate the price for the car from the price for the Maintenance Program.

Pay as little as possible for the car. If you want the Maintenance Program, buy it from the dealer that will give you the best price.

They don't have to be purchased at the same time, just before the 4years/50K miles.

Andrew*Debbie
02-15-2008, 10:42 AM
I've heard some people say it's not worth it to get the extended maintenance program.

If you get the program at a good price, it is substantially less than dealer prices for 1 brake job + 1 inspection service.

But you don't have to go to the dealer.

I can replace the brakes myself for about $400. In our case it wouldn't be worth it. Driveway DIY does have its downsides.

AzNMpower32
02-15-2008, 12:30 PM
I've heard some people say it's not worth it to get the extended maintenance program. Would someone be able to run the numbers on this? The reason I ask is because if you add up the cost of a brake job, oil change and one of the regularly scheduled maintenance trips how much would that cost you? It SEEMS to me that the cost would be worth it but I could be completely wrong with that since I really haven't done much research on it. Can anyone share some figures so why to get the maintenance extension or not?
It depends how much you think your car will need it, and where you plan to get stuff done.

If you think you will need a brake job and Inspection II done while within the ext. maint. program, and you go to the dealer, then yes, it will be worth it. A brake job is about $800-1000 and I don't know how much the dealer charges for Inspection II, but plan on at least $500. That adds up to over $1500 approx.

If you can DIY or have an indy shop do it, and your car doesn't need much, then there's no point. The first set of brakes on my X3 lasted till 47k miles, when I requested that the dealer change the pads and rotors. The indy shop wants about $550 tops for the X3's Inspection II. I can do my own oil changes. That adds up to way less than $1000.

Rob V
02-15-2008, 01:16 PM
...If you can DIY or have an indy shop do it, and your car doesn't need much, then there's no point. The first set of brakes on my X3 lasted till 47k miles, when I requested that the dealer change the pads and rotors. The indy shop wants about $550 tops for the X3's Inspection II. I can do my own oil changes. That adds up to way less than $1000.

See, this is what worries me. My first set of brakes only lasted about 19k miles! I really don't understand why because I'm really not that hard on them :dunno:. If I am hard on them I certainly don't know how, when or why. Even on my previous LR Freelander the brakes only lasted until 16k. I've seen brakes reaplced before, I've assisted a few times but I can't say that I'd be comfortable doing them myself. Aren't there sensors and "stuff" to worry about also?

As for the inspections, if you have an independant shop take care of that will they reset that counter on the OBC?

AzNMpower32
02-15-2008, 01:20 PM
See, this is what worries me. My first set of brakes only lasted about 19k miles! I really don't understand why because I'm really not that hard on them :dunno:. If I am hard on them I certainly don't know how, when or why. Even on my previous LR Freelander the brakes only lasted until 16k. I've seen brakes them before, I've assisted a few times but I can't say that I'd be comfortable doing them myself. Aren't there sensors and "stuff" to worry about also?

As for the inspections, if you have an independant shop take care of that will they reset that counter on the OBC?
Yes, and yes. Honestly, I'm not a handyman myself, so I'd pay someone else to do the brakes. There's a sensor that gets tripped when the warning light comes on, and the sensor, albeit a really cheap part, does have to be replaced.

A good BMW independent shop will have most of the equipment necessary to run diagnositics and stuff and reset the OBC. Heck, I even might try to get them to change some key settings. (I want my average consumption to read l/100km instead of MPG :angel:)

Andrew*Debbie
02-15-2008, 02:09 PM
See, this is what worries me. My first set of brakes only lasted about 19k miles!

Maybe has something to do with living in COS. Drive up in the mountains much?

I've seen brakes reaplced before, I've assisted a few times but I can't say that I'd be comfortable doing them myself. Aren't there sensors and "stuff" to worry about also?

Best to leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. It isn't hard, but BMWs are unique. If you don't know what you are doing and don't take the time to learn how, it will get screwed up.

The sensors are maybe $16 each. There are two and you should replace them every brake job. Pads and rotors are about $400 depending on what you buy.

Yes. A good independent shop will have the same computer the BMW dealer uses.
There are less expensive ways to do the reset too, but those are for idiots like me that try and work on the cars at home.

JdB_Aus
02-19-2008, 06:33 PM
Dear Andrew*Debbie

If you know how to reset the si interval on the OBC, please, please, please share with us, i prefer to service my car myself, was able to reset all before(E30, E36, E46) but having trouble with my current X3 (2005).