PDA

View Full Version : Question for everyone...thanks in advance

mattlar24
02-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Hey everyone,

I just joined this forum. I now believe i am a member everywhere. Anyways i had a couple of questions for you guys. Right now im driving an 06 acura rsx type s. Bottom its lack of torque is problem. I am looking to get out of it. There are 3 cars that i am debating. 2004 VW r32 2000-2002 Audi S4 and an e36 m3 coupe. All being manauls. Although the r32 is a little out of my price range at the moment being greater then 20k for a decent one. Anyways I would like the opinion of you guys on what would be the best for me. I need it as a daily driver and i live in NY so weather is an influence at times for RWD. I do love those e36s tho and by looking at this forum i can tell everyone else who owns one does too. Any input would be greatly apreciated. I believe i am leaning towards a bmw since i am posting this here and not on the VW or audi site. If anyone knows someone selling a 97-99 e36 m3 coupe 5 speed in good condition let me know. I cant seem to find any in good condition with low mileage around me. Sorry for the book i just made you read but I thank you for taking the time to help me out!

Thanks,
Matt

Bruce
02-15-2008, 05:31 AM
The S4s have fragile turbos and can be expensive to fix.

mattlar24
02-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Thank you thats very good to know. preferably id like to stay away from buying a used car that has turbos for that exact reason.

shamulater
02-15-2008, 02:29 PM
The S4s have fragile turbos and can be expensive to fix.
Ditto that...a nightmare to replace. I think the world of Audi's but they're not an easy car to love if your looking for a super dependable daily drive. Lots of little electrical hic-ups. Of course BMW is no stranger to minor hic-ups either. Both are a pleasure to drive and both require patience in dealing with the problems that commonly occur with both vehicles. From a personal standpoint, the E36 M3 is more of a toy I savior on weekends whereas the Audi is our daily get to and from work vehicle.

BDL
02-17-2008, 07:08 AM
I owned a 2006 RSX Type R and now own an M36 M3 Coupe. I understand your desire for more low end grunt. The M3 certainly has that and is faster to 60 and up.

Regarding rear wheel drive and winter, I have ultra high performance summer tires on 18 inch wheels -- useless in winter. There are no M&S or snow tires for my rear wheels, so I bought 4 17" wheels and Blizzaks from Tire Rack. I was able to drive easily in New Hampshire following about 6" snow fall. No problem. The RSX will go in winter with the stock tires. This is another savings.

As a daily driver, I would recommend sticking with the RSX. It still has warranty, right? Less expensive to repair and maintain (I believe), and better gas mileage. It is also a bit smaller and whippier for maneuvering in traffic. It does handle well, although there is the issue of no low end torque and torque steer. On the other hand, the M3 gives great pleasure in acceleration and in the curvy bits and if driven sensibly, the mileage is not too bad. The M3s also have more interior space, but still not a real 4 passenger ride.

Even though I have custom wheels, tinted glass, angel eyes, and growly exhaust, the M3 is not very different in appearance from other E36s, just as the RSX looked pretty much like many other Acuras on the road. Don't expect to turn a lot of heads unless you really customize more than I have.

Hope this is helpful.

mattlar24
02-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Thanks for replying guys. I would be dumping my rsx for the e36/r32/s4. The acura is still under warranty which means crap. Just spent 700 to replace my radiator after a "rock" punctured it. Obviously it scares me getting an older german car when it comes to expenses. I would not mind paying a little more if i can find one at a dealership that would supply an extended warranty. Anyways, i thought the e36 would be a better handling car then the rsx? Any comments on the r32?