PDA

View Full Version : Some strange noise.

gturismo
02-18-2008, 09:17 AM
After parking in my garage and leaving the car, I heard a winding noise coming out from around the gas tank (above the rear tire of passenger side).
It sounds like the fuel pump is still running. It lasted for a good five minutes before it stopped. This happened after a 25 min. drive.
Anyone had this happened to their 2007 model?

Thanks.
GT

MJS
02-18-2008, 10:26 AM
Yes. I have the same noise coming from the same location. I assume it's normal operation as it happens every time I believe.

AJB01
02-18-2008, 11:54 AM
I believe that this noise is related to the fuel evap. system. It is similar to a vacuum pump. Our 2007 makes this noise at times.

gturismo
02-18-2008, 04:28 PM
I heard that noise the first time last night after owning the car for a year.
Today I try to pay attention after every drive. But have yet heard any noise today.
But I'll mention that to the service advisor the next time the car is in service.

Thanks for the information.
-GT

TexRob
02-18-2008, 05:38 PM
It is normal, I hear it almost every time in our X3.

HT417
02-18-2008, 11:49 PM
I first noticed it on my old one and since the only thing I knew of that made that kind of noise in the back was the fuel pump it kind of had me concerned. I was envisioning an electronic malfunction that was going to either run the battery down, damage the pump or worse. My SA thought it would be normal for it to run for about 20 secs after shutting off the engine but wanted to look at it if ran longer or did it again.

It's also done it on my new one and this time it ran for about 4 minutes. I was there when I heard one or two clicks and then it shut off. My SA had explained to me previously, when I asked why the Park LED on the AT shifter stayed on, that the car could take as much as 20 minutes for all of the systems to shut down. But I don't understand the purpose of the fuel pump running when the engine isn't. :dunno:.

I think I'm going to have to run this more to ground.

x3ronnie
02-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Mine makes this noise all the time. I seem to recall a thread on this a while back. Didn't seem like something to be concerned about then, and several here have reported the same noise. I believe that light on the shift indicator (P) stays lit ALL the time.

HT417
02-20-2008, 12:22 AM
I believe that light on the shift indicator (P) stays lit ALL the time.

Actually, mine does go off sometime within the 20 minute window the SA mentioned. He also told me to bring it in if it didn't. I've learned a lot about the car by mentioning these little quirks.