PDA

View Full Version : How come X3 has no....

mybluesky
02-18-2008, 11:08 PM
I am considering getting an X3.
Since 2004 and looking at the 2008 models I have not seen any radical changes to the interior or exterior besides the controls on the steering wheel. I was just wondering if BMW would ever implement features in an x3 such as keyless entry, keyless ignition, paddle shifters, stuff like that. Will there be radical changes in 2009? or should i just go ahead and get this model. My current car is losing value as we speak! Not sure when if i should take the plunge and get it now though.

dashiell
02-19-2008, 01:33 AM
BMW did a facelift for the 2007, they are doing a total redesign probably 2010. Next years model will most likely see little change. I think the X3 looks a lot better after 2007, I also think it is an SUV(SAV) that can look very different depending how you have it equipped.

b-y
02-19-2008, 09:17 AM
As to your basic question: The X3 design dates back to MY2004 and was locked-in just prior to I-Drive and related. The X3 (and the Z4) do not have all of the options available on the most recent 3-series. If those are important, the alternatives are a 335xi or wait for the 2010s.

AzNMpower32
02-19-2008, 11:28 AM
As previous poster mentioned, the X3 dates from 2004 and the platform and electronics are from the last generation E46 3-series, which dates back to 1999. Thus, it will not get any of the gadgets and toys BMW puts on its current cars with newer software technology. Platform and structural stuff is also locked in upon 2004, so changes can only be minor.

This means.....
1. No rear vents
2. No Comfort Access
3. No iDrive
4. No dual-zone automatic climate control

......until the redesign in 2011 when production is shifted to Spartanburg, SC. Paddle shifters on an SUV? Puhlease. This is just my opinion, but paddle shifters have always been kind of a joke to me. On the handful of cars I've driven before (including the 335i coupe), I've never touched the paddle shifters. Ever. Makes sense on a SMG or F1-derived transmission, but not on a conventional automatic. Many will beg to differ, but esp. for an SUV, it's fairly gimmicky. And BMW isn't about the latest fad.

iamthewalrus
02-19-2008, 11:32 AM
As previous poster mentioned, the X3 dates from 2004 and the platform and electronics are from the last generation E46 3-series, which dates back to 1999. Thus, it will not get any of the gadgets and toys BMW puts on its current cars with newer software technology.

This is one of the things I really like about the current X3. It's simple. I came out of an e46 330Cic and the transition felt very comfortable. I really don't want/need a lot of the bells and whistles like Nav or a start/stop button that come on the latest 3-5-7 series. The X3 has been a great car for me and I hope to keep mine for a very long time.

-James
Seattle, WA

2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual, sport, premium, xenons, stereo, ipod, pdc)

AzNMpower32
02-19-2008, 11:47 AM
This is one of the things I really like about the current X3. It's simple. I came out of an e46 330Cic and the transition felt very comfortable. I really don't want/need a lot of the bells and whistles like Nav or a start/stop button that come on the latest 3-5-7 series. The X3 has been a great car for me and I hope to keep mine for a very long time.
Amen to that! The E46 was/is still my favorite 3-series of all time. So even if I don't like the gauges on the X3, I like the older electronics. What's wierd, I always get the feeling that the X3 is built more solidly than my parents "newer" 325i. I want to see how far I can run the X3.

And the X3 doesn't ding at me everytime I unbuckle and get something in the back or passenger seat, or accidentally leave my key in the ignition, or whatever. The chime on the 3-series is infuriating........it will NOT shut up.

mybluesky
02-19-2008, 03:54 PM
well I can agree the x3 does indeed have a solid feel to it. I just feel like it's lacking some options. Paddle shifters is a gimmick but I'd love keyless ignition i think it would help a lot in the winter when I can warm up the car before getting inside. Keyless entry would be nice too and a start stop button is just plain cool in my opinion but serves no real purpose. Nice to have though...
never noticed the x3 had no rear vents.

what's idrive by the way?

and when you say redesign in 2011 what do you actually mean? the year 2011 or when the 2011 model comes out in 2010? Also i thought they were changing it in 2010?

AzNMpower32
02-19-2008, 04:25 PM
iDrive is the central way you control most radio and climate and vehicle stuff, all thru a screen in the middle of the dash and a single knob. Comes with sat nav on the 1,3-series and standard on the 5,6,7, and X5.

No BMW has keyless start, if you plan to warm up your car beforehand like on many GM and Ford cars. In reality, you should not idle your car more than 30-45 seconds when starting it up in the morning because you're not really warming up the drivetrain parts. Start the car, give it 30-45secs, and then get moving!

Keyless/remote entry is standard.......the buttons to lock and unlock are on the keyfob. What's missing here? :confused:

The next X3 will be released in late 2010 as a 2011 model. Production will be shifted to SC. (No more European Delivery option :( )

mybluesky
02-19-2008, 04:34 PM
oh man! i'm not waiting 2 years to get an x3!!! I thought when they said 2010 they meant the year 2009. ah well. anyways any idea when the 2009 models will be coming out? wonder what small changes will be incorporated.
when i said keyless entry i meant like how some cars (prius) unlock the doors just by having the keyfob near the car or touching the door handle when the key in your pocket. just some cool futuristic stuff i guess.
also would you recommend getting the nav system in the x3? it's nice but I can see that having problems maybe 5 years into ownership.

StevenJB
02-19-2008, 05:16 PM
We just got our X3 and love that it is not cluttered with bells and whistles - each one of which is something else to go wrong. We tried out the Lexus RX350 and it was just to "cushy" for us. I'd rather spend my money on a rock solid engine, tranny and suspension. Yes, there is a big debate about the AT. Ours has one and it is certainly different from others I have experienced but they were all 3 speed and not electronic. We decided to buy now towards the end of the series production rather than wait for first year production of the new model off a new production line.

If you research other threads the concensus seems to be don't get the onboard nav, use your own.

MMME30W
02-19-2008, 05:35 PM
I am considering getting an X3.
Since 2004 and looking at the 2008 models I have not seen any radical changes to the interior or exterior besides the controls on the steering wheel. I was just wondering if BMW would ever implement features in an x3 such as keyless entry, keyless ignition, paddle shifters, stuff like that. Will there be radical changes in 2009? or should i just go ahead and get this model. My current car is losing value as we speak! Not sure when if i should take the plunge and get it now though.

I highly doubt it. I believe the X3 is electronically based on the E46 platform, so any future systemic upgrades will probably wait for the whole platform to be brought up to the latest interface framework for those kinds of features.

x3eer
02-19-2008, 06:09 PM
oh man! i'm not waiting 2 years to get an x3!!! I thought when they said 2010 they meant the year 2009. ah well. anyways any idea when the 2009 models will be coming out? wonder what small changes will be incorporated.
when i said keyless entry i meant like how some cars (prius) unlock the doors just by having the keyfob near the car or touching the door handle when the key in your pocket. just some cool futuristic stuff i guess.
also would you recommend getting the nav system in the x3? it's nice but I can see that having problems maybe 5 years into ownership.

i think you need to revisit and prioritize your must-have wish list from scratch. if you find those electric gadgets, toys and hi-tech stuff on top of your list, you'd be better off looking into alternatives such as RDX or EX35, unless you wait till late 2010 for MY 2011 X3.

handling, agility, size, x-drive, straight forward yet simple in & out were top 5 on my list.
good luck!

mybluesky
02-19-2008, 08:35 PM
bells and whistles are nice but they are just more stuff that'll potentially go wrong later on.
Anyways i think im narrowing it down.
All the stuff i mentioned before isn't important just a thought but how come the navigation system isn't recommended that comes with the bmw? don't you find it messy to use your own gps system with all the wires everywhere and what not?

x3eer
02-20-2008, 07:35 AM
bells and whistles are nice but they are just more stuff that'll potentially go wrong later on.
Anyways i think im narrowing it down.
All the stuff i mentioned before isn't important just a thought but how come the navigation system isn't recommended that comes with the bmw? don't you find it messy to use your own gps system with all the wires everywhere and what not?

I tried out the navigation when I did test drive, and it was easy decision to opt out since I didnít feel like itís worth the money. Instead I bought a Nuvi for around $350 that came up with up-to-date map data including built-in EU maps (big plus since I did ED). It fits perfectly in the storage bin and works pretty good with a beanbag mounting base. Battery life seems pretty good so I donít plug into cigar jack that often. Also, GPS in X3 is a generation behind the current GPS available to other BMWs, and maybe two or three generation behind the Japanese brands, IMO.

sitflier
02-21-2008, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=AzN
......until the redesign in 2011 when production is shifted to Spartanburg, SC. Paddle shifters on an SUV? Puhlease. This is just my opinion, but paddle shifters have always been kind of a joke to me. On the handful of cars I've driven before (including the 335i coupe), I've never touched the paddle shifters. Ever. Makes sense on a SMG or F1-derived transmission, but not on a conventional automatic. Many will beg to differ, but esp. for an SUV, it's fairly gimmicky. And BMW isn't about the latest fad.[/QUOTE]

Man, the most ridiculous and funny at the same time thing I saw is a set of paddle shifters on new Nissan Rogue 2.5 4 cylinder with, get this........automatic variable tranny :dunno:

AzNMpower32
02-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Man, the most ridiculous and funny at the same time thing I saw is a set of paddle shifters on new Nissan Rogue 2.5 4 cylinder with, get this........automatic variable tranny :dunno:
They're everywhere. The Mitsubishi Lancer GTS has them despite a CVT (good car though). I tried them once on the Honda Fit and of course you can expect, the results were fairly pathetic. It has little power and when coupled with the slushbox, the paddle shifters are hilarious. I tried starting off in 2nd gear and by the time it finally got across the intersection, the moon had come up and all the passengers had fallen asleep.

mikepinkerton
02-16-2010, 04:51 PM

You mean "comfort access" like on the 3/5/7-series. As someone who's had it on two cars now, I'm never getting another car without it. It's wonderful not having to dig your keys out of your pocket when your hands are full, especially when it's really cold out. I'm disappointed it's not (yet) on the X3, but I guess we'll see it in 2011.

A happy Comfort Access owner,
-Mike

[sorry to dredge up such an old thread, i was searching for CA on the X3 and came across this, didn't realize it was so darn old. I guess nobody has been posting about it lately!]