PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Michelin Pilots?

HT417
02-19-2008, 12:11 AM
I had the standard suspension with the Pirelli Scorpions and really liked how they were almost concert hall quiet. Now I have a sport suspension that came with the Michelin Pilots and they're louder and vibrate a little. Maybe they're flat/hard spotted because the car sat around for a couple of months before I bought it, maybe they need to be re-balanced or maybe the sport suspension just transfers more noise. Some surfaces are worse than others. The tires are really spoiling an otherwise great experience.

Are these tires installed exclusively with the sport susp. or did I just get the luck of the draw? What's everyone else's experience with these tires?

dashiell
02-19-2008, 01:43 AM
Sorry HT, not an answer, but I was wondering the same thing. On cars that I have bought in the past, I have seen the same model, same year, same exact freaking car with different tires from the factory...wtf! Is it just random luck which tires you get?

vrrooom
02-19-2008, 06:35 AM
I have had 3 cars with Pilots (M Cars) and 3 with Scorpions (X3's). Vastly different tires, Pilots had extrodinary grip, you could almost get 1g out of them on the M's. Noise yes, and wear - awful (arround 20K and they are gone in fact on my M5 they were history at 12K :dunno:). The Scopions are really fine suv tire, good milage 35-40K, ok in snow and reasonably quiet. I just got my '08 with 18" style 205 wheels with Scorpions and could not be more pleased. ;)

Terry J. Harris
02-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Vrrooom - Are you talking the Pilot Sports for your M cars?

HT - FWI, I've got the Pilot HX MXM4's on my '07 X3 and they seem fairly quite to me and I'm not noticing vibration.

STE92VE
02-19-2008, 06:44 AM
Are these tires installed exclusively with the sport susp. or did I just get the luck of the draw? What's everyone else's experience with these tires?

Sorry HT, not an answer, but I was wondering the same thing. On cars that I have bought in the past, I have seen the same model, same year, same exact freaking car with different tires from the factory...wtf! Is it just random luck which tires you get?

Sorry to say folks, but it is the luck of the draw. BMW purchases from both manufacturers and whatever is on the production floor when your car gets assembled, is what gets put on. My cousin has an 07 X3 with Sport Susp and I noticed he has the Pirellis. Tirerack has a good comparison of both and after reading it, I question why BMW even bothers with Michelin. According to them, the Pirellis are a superior tire at a lower cost.

Mystic1
02-19-2008, 06:45 AM
The different wheel sizes in part will be a determining factor in what tires you get, but it really is luck of the draw when it comes down to brand. My dad asked the dealer he got his Z from that exact question and the answer was it was whatever tires they had on the line that day.

Well, Ste92ve beat me to it. lol

vrrooom
02-19-2008, 11:21 AM
The M cars all had Pilot Sport tyres, of the same spec and size. That is why the M5 (the heavier car) lunched them at 12K miles, whereas the M3's got a little over 20K. I too had the Michelin Pilot HX on a X3, a great passenger car tyre for sedans, but for a heavier SUV- short tread life binned them with less than 30K miles whereas the Scorpions get another 10 K and cost less to replace.:tsk:

HT417
02-20-2008, 12:30 AM
Thanks for the comments. I was afraid the answer was going to be "luck of the draw". I miss the Scorpions but at least now I know from personnal experience and my wife's going to get Scorpions on her Liberty. :thumbup: