PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with an X3 and V1 (Valentine One radar)

grkmec
02-19-2008, 10:32 AM
I just took my V1 from my 330i and put it into my '08 X3 (due to a recent roadtrip). It was wired via the cigarette light adapter. When I used the V1 in my 330i, I would keep the V1 always turned on and when shutting the car off, the V1 would turn off.

In my X3, when I turn the vehicle off, the V1 stays on. I am worried that it will eventually drain my battery. Why does the X3 cigarette lighted stay powered when I shut off my car while my 330i does not? Is something wrong? Is there some setting I need to change?

Please help if you have any suggestions

x3nick
02-19-2008, 01:58 PM
The accessory power sockets on my X3 are always on, sometimes I think it's good, othertimes not so good, depends on what I've got plugged in. It's the way X3s are.

jamesbirkholz
02-19-2008, 02:02 PM
grkmec -

I have both the Bel STi (NOT recommended) and the V1 (highly recommended). The ciggy outlet in the E83 (at least in my year 2007) is constant on. I recently had loaners during maintenance - these included a 3 series wagon and the 335i turbo hardtop convertible. Both of those had power off on the ciggy outlet when ignition was off.

Seems to me the main ciggy in the cockpit is constant-on in the E83. I just turn off my Bel (it has a switch) and same w/V1. Sorta annoying, but no biggie.

Hope that helps.

phantombmw
02-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah some models have the outlets always on, others are triggered to the ignition. Hardwire is the way to go. In some of my prior cars I didn't have the hardwire done and it was annoying to turn it on and off each time I got in the car.

sitflier
02-21-2008, 02:53 PM
I never turn my V1 off, I've had 2005 X3 for 2 months now and the battery seems OK. Am I risking draining it?

KarlB
02-22-2008, 06:26 AM
it is another constant drain on the batt, albeit a small one, if you drive daily you are prob ok, but I dont see the big deal in turning it off, just get in the habit, I hard wired my v-1into the overhead console to a wire that is always on as I always turn it off but then My elderly father in law who lives with us since my mother in law passed away sometimes drives the x3 (we live in a very small town) and the V-1 would freak him out if it went off when he was driving.

dspeed
02-23-2008, 08:17 AM
Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the cluster of wires that are in the black plastic housing behind the rearview mirror?

I was hoping to pull a switched 12vdc line out of there for a radar detector power supply, but time hasn't permitted a searching effort.

MJS
02-23-2008, 09:39 AM
I can't guarantee it's the same as an E46 M3, but this might help a little. It's what I used to hardwire my Passport 8500 in my M3.

http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_valentine_v1.shtml

crazybelgian
02-25-2008, 10:36 AM
I was under the impression that the socket stays on for only 20 minutes and then shuts off.
At least that's how it works in my '06 X3.

Driver8
02-27-2008, 06:24 PM
A V1 hardwire is an easy project. I just did mine and tapped into the switched power lead to the airbag light in the overhead console. Do a Google search or search the archives to find details on how to drop the overhead light and controls to gain access to this area. It's really a simple project and should take no more than two beers (or 30 minutes) to complete.

Take it from me...do NOT tap into the power for BMW Assist! I accidentally ended up talking to a nice gentleman named Shawn at BMW after I short-circuited the BMW Assist system.

x3man
02-27-2008, 07:14 PM
Can you tap into where the navigation unit is? I don't like top mounted radar. Prefer glass-mounted above the nav unit with the power going into the dashboard. How can this be done?

Supercourse
03-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Can you tap into where the navigation unit is? I don't like top mounted radar. Prefer glass-mounted above the nav unit with the power going into the dashboard. How can this be done?

Agree that lower windshield mount is better ergonomically (and overall, depending on what enforcement technology in your area you need most protection from). Using a Littelfuse "Add-a-circuit" (about $10) in the upper right part of the glovebox fuse panel is a neat solution for ignition-switched power. Routing a wire with an inline female 12v DC jack (no need for big cigarette lighter h/w) from there to the center of the upper dash area is really easy - especially for those frugal owners with a storage bin rather than Nav.

2007x3owner
03-21-2008, 11:06 AM
I love my Valentine One. I don't know why people waste money on anything else. I had lots of other radar detectors that falsed like mad. I ended up throwing them all away. For what I spent on all of them, I could have 2 or 3 Valentines. I remember driving up the highway over a stretch that I was familiar with and then my V1 was going off for like 4 miles straight. I thought it went defective. It showed "2" sources. Then as I got closer, it was two State Troopers parked in the median, both facing my direction. I loved it. ** FOUR MILES **. I would have never had any radar detector that would pick up signal that far.

How old is your V1? A while back I upgraded mine so it works with the new POP radar. So far I have not seen any cops around using it. I really don't speed much as I try to pinch every MPG that I can get. I just like to know when they are there so when the speed limit drops from 55 to 35 in the speed traps, I know the motorcycle cop is around the corner.

I like to keep the windshield with a dark tint so that way I can leave my V1 mounted there without having to constantly take it down. Thieves don't see it when it's mounted at the top.

RaDaRkInG
03-24-2008, 11:26 PM
The Valentine One is definitely the best.

http://guysoflidar.com/august-2007/radar-detector-test.html

Vodka G
03-28-2008, 04:39 PM
yep been using V-1 since 1997 and LOVE IT (this is actualli my second one)

i did a hardwire via the glove comp....i think i tapped it from the glove compartment light (or something) it was a while ago so i dun really remember...

i just did a hardwire on my 06' M roadster.......and that took me a while to find a switch 12V that will go off with the ignition

14U2NV
03-31-2008, 12:14 PM
I was under the impression that the socket stays on for only 20 minutes and then shuts off.
At least that's how it works in my '06 X3.

Don't know about the 20 minute interval but I know that it DOES power down after a while.