PDA

View Full Version : x-3 choices

kriss
02-19-2008, 01:57 PM
there are 3 cars I had been looking at.
2004 x3 3.0 auto/premium, 23,000,cert. $28k(bmw dealer)2.9% financing
2005 x3 3.0 auto/premium/servo, 45,000 cert. $25+k(bmw dealer) 3.0%
2006 x3 3.0 auto prem. 23,000,$29+k..infiniti dealer

it seems the '06 would equal or exceed the cert. cars because it is still under original warranty,correct?

diehlryan
02-19-2008, 02:06 PM
So are the other 2 BMWs. CPO pushes that to 100k or 6yrs as well.

Andrew*Debbie
02-19-2008, 02:58 PM
The BMW CPO warranty is not the same as what comes with a new car.

All new BMWs come with 4years/50,000 miles bumper to bumper warranty and all maintenance included. During this period everything is covered except for tires.

The four years is from the Vehicles first in-service date. You may want to find out when those cars were first sold.

The CPO warranty covers major items in the car but not everything.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/CPO/Warranty/Default.aspx

Maintenance is not included. You can purchase a Maintenance Program for any BMW that hasn't reached 4years/50,000 miles. CPO coverage starts when the 4yr/50K warranty ends. For example the 2005 still has 5,000 miles left on the Ultimate Service.

BMW made small changes to the car every year too. The '04 isn't exactly the same as the '05 or the '06.

CPO coverage is only available for used BMWs sold at a BMW dealer. You can't buy it later.

I'd take a long careful look at the BMW at the Infinity dealer. There may be a reason why it isn't a CPO. Or not. You never know.

jo-e90
02-19-2008, 02:58 PM
It all depends. Do you like the mono-color of the 2006? The '05 & '06 will not be as harsh a ride as the '04.
What is the in service date of the '05 and '06? If the dates are close then I would say save the $4000 and get the CPO '05.

Mystic1
02-19-2008, 05:08 PM
I would drive both the '04 and '05 to see which one you like best. As stated in the previous post, the '04 MY had a slightly different susp setup (tuning) so you might want to compare that. If the '04 is to your liking, try to work a deal on that as that price is a little steep. I would say $23-24K. The '05 seems to be in line with going prices, but you still may be able to talk them down a bit. The '06 at Infiniti may well just be a trade in. If so, there may be nothing wrong with it. But if they bought it at auction, be very weary. BMW usually keeps the cream of the crop to themselves, and autions the rest they don't think are well maintained. And it will never be able to be certified since it is being sold outside of a BMW dealer.

AzNMpower32
02-19-2008, 05:27 PM
Read what others said above, good advice.

What other options are on those? I think xenon headlights are very important, and I highly doubt I'd get a future vehicle without them. Sport package? Park Distance Control? Heated Steering wheel? What else?

CORONET
02-19-2008, 06:36 PM
Please take a look at my X3 pictures at www.msnusers.com/arizonaclan

For medical reasons it's for sale. Note the M aero pkg and M3 steering wheel.

UncleJ
02-20-2008, 09:11 AM
kris, the 2006 will have the most warranty of course, and to be sure what you are getting run a CARFAX report search. That should give you a good idea where it came from and at least some of the important parts of its history. While you are at the Infiniti dealer try out the new EX35 too. That may tell you why the '06 is on the lot!

Sonoman707
02-20-2008, 09:57 AM
I'd take a long careful look at the BMW at the Infinity dealer. There may be a reason why it isn't a CPO. Or not. You never know.

I don't believe another dealer/brand (Infiniti) can CPO a BMW.

With the existing warranty intact - you can always add the extended warranty/maintenance thru a BMW dealer if you buy it.

Andrew*Debbie
02-20-2008, 10:29 AM
I don't believe another dealer/brand (Infiniti) can CPO a BMW.

No they can't. Only a BMW center can offer BMW NA's CPO coverage.

Hypothetically, a Lexus or Kia dealer could do whatever and then call a used car Certified. It just wouldn't be certified by BMW NA. I suppose they could bundle in a 3rd party warranty.

With the existing warranty intact - you can always add the extended warranty/maintenance thru a BMW dealer if you buy it.

You can purchase the BMW Maintenance extension on any BMW any time before the original coverage expires.

You can not purchase any BMW NA backed warranty extension on a BMW purchased used from a 3rd party. The X3 at the Infiniti dealer is not eligible for BMW's CPO or Original Owners Protection Plan coverage.

Sonoman707
02-20-2008, 10:43 AM
You can not purchase any BMW NA backed warranty extension on a BMW purchased used from a 3rd party. The X3 at the Infiniti dealer is not eligible for BMW's CPO or Original Owners Protection Plan coverage.

Good info.

This may start to explain the pricing between the '06 & the '04 after you figure in the CPO for the '04.

I believe I read somewhere that CPO adds 4K - 5K to the price of a BMW when comparing two nearly identical models - one CPO'd and one not.