PDA

View Full Version : Driving X3 on the beach

bobkap
02-20-2008, 07:02 AM
What's the word about driving the 08 X3 on a loose sand beach, My previous SUV, an 04 MDX had an AWD lock-up feature that made beach driving fun and never came close to getting stuck. Won't try in my X3 unless I'm positive that experience of other X3ers says it's ok.
Please advise if the X3 is beach worthy.
Thanks,
bobkap

michaeloliverio
02-20-2008, 04:40 PM
just air down the tires to 15 to 18 psi.
turn off dsc
go like the dickens
i always get stuck if i dont air down, but one i do i can pull right out!

mike

AzNMpower32
02-20-2008, 04:57 PM
You'll be fine, but do lower the air pressure in the tires a bit.

Don't understand why X3 owners are so leery of taking it off-road. It doesn't get stuck that easy. Indeed, I have yet to get it stuck myself :dunno:

bobkap
02-21-2008, 07:33 AM
You'll be fine, but do lower the air pressure in the tires a bit.

Don't understand why X3 owners are so leery of taking it off-road. It doesn't get stuck that easy. Indeed, I have yet to get it stuck myself :dunno:
Az,
My primary concern was slippage wear on the xfer clutches due to non lock-up capability.
bobkap

AzNMpower32
02-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Well, the clutch is controlled electronically thru the computers of xDrive. I think that normally below 20km/h and when you're not parking (large steering angles), the clutch that transfers power to the front wheels remains locked up for optimum traction. Thus you should have a 50/50 front/rear split at lower speeds.

At low speeds and large steering angles (like parking), xDrive is in full rear wheel drive.

doubledeclutch
02-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Thanks for the photos Mike!

jmlong
02-25-2008, 05:18 PM
I had just used a 2007 X3 this weekend on the beach in Delaware. It was my test run for the up coming summer. It worked out just fine, however I will always air down to about 15psi with the X3. For the first trip on, I did not air down and turned off the DTC. It drove simular to our previous Tahoe in Automatic 4WD with out airing down. We went down the beach and turned around without incident and headed up to the point. When we had to turn around on the narrow stretch of beach I had to make a tight turn and of course it got stuck. Aired down to 15psi, jumped back in and it drove itself right out. The Tahoe would have stuck it's self in the same way with out airing down. The only thing I noticed about the X3 on the beach is that driving the automatic in manual mode in 2nd gear provided the best effect, including starting from being stopped, that along with its nearly 50/50 weight distribution helped to counter the lack of a transfer lock. In addition the base 17" tires would be the best choice for beach driving on the X3 considering they would provide the best result of airing down over the 19". The last couple of years here I have noticed the AWD vehicles on the beach and that led to our choice of the X3. Last summer we watched a Jeep wrangler get buried driving off and that caused a Honda Element following behind to stop, jump out of the tracks into another set then continued with out a problem. The real 4WD got stuck and the AWD honda drove around it with out any problems. I was also concerned about the X3's ability compared to the security of the so called real 4WD trucks and Tahoe that we used. Air down and common sense driving should provide desired results.

jerryo79
02-02-2014, 03:47 AM
i am considering buying the x3 and will be using on the beach in Delaware. You still having good results with beach driving. As you know, the sand at gordons pond and cape state park can get pretty tricky. Are you still happy with the performance?
thx jerryoneill1@comcast.net

spokelizard
02-03-2014, 03:44 AM
i am considering buying the x3 and will be using on the beach in Delaware. You still having good results with beach driving. As you know, the sand at gordons pond and cape state park can get pretty tricky. Are you still happy with the performance?
thx jerryoneill1@comcast.net

Sorry, but do you realize you're asking that question of someone who posted their one and only post almost 6 years ago?

DangermouseX3
02-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Send him an email :)