PDA

View Full Version : Purchase 2004 X3 2.5

srinikit
02-20-2008, 09:09 AM
Dear All,

Hope everyone are keeping in good health. I am new to this forum and need some feedback.

I am about to purchase an 2004 X3 2.5 from a private person which is not a CPO. He is asking $20000 (I bought it down from 22500). The car is in very good condition and no accidents or whatsoever. Below are the specs of the car. Please let me know id $20000 is a good deal to purchase. Thanks a lot.

Krish

BMW X3 2.5i - 6-Cyl. 2.5 Liter AWD. Automatic transmission with five-speed Steptronic
Black/Black
27,250 Miles

Under factory warranty until April of 2008. This includes free maintenance service from BMW (Brakes, oil changes, all fluid changes, wiper blades...) or 50,000 Miles. Never has it been in an accident and always garaged!

Premium Package
Special rails that can be used to secure cargo or accessories, such as BMW's new bike rack. front fog lights, rain sensing wipers, automatic climate control, a leather-wrapped steering wheel, cruise control, auto-dimming rearview mirror, power front seats with driver's memory, upgraded interior lighting and the attachment rails for the cargo area.

Other Options:
Panorama Moonroof - This option is a huge moonroof comprised of two panels. Both panels can be tilted up at the rear, or the front, larger panel can be slid open. This 10-foot glass span also has a power shade for times when you want to block the sun from coming in the vehicle. Cargo net. Privacy glass

Standard Equipment
Air Conditioning, AM/FM Stereo Radio, CD Player, Power Door Locks, Tilt Steering Wheel, Power Steering, Tire Pressure Monitor, Intermittent Wipers, 4 Doors, Rear Spoiler, Power Windows, Stabilitrak, Tachometer, Rear Window Wiper, Child Safety Locks, Anti-Theft Stereo, Traction Control System, Daytime Running Lights, Anti-Theft Device(s), Auto Express Down Window, Car Phone, Power Mirrors, All Wheel Drive, Rear Window Defroster, Adjustable Luggage Rack, Dual Air Bags, 3 Point Rear Seatbelts, Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), Side Air Bag System, Vanity Mirrors, Clock, Adjustable Head Rests, Cargo Cover, Door Pocket

AzNMpower32
02-20-2008, 09:44 AM
Looks like a decent deal. I suggest looking for one with xenon headlights, but those can be harder to find especially on a 2.5i.

bmwadam
02-20-2008, 10:26 AM
leather or leatherette? I prefer leather. But some prefer leatherrette, depends on if you have kids or wild animals along for the ride.... Either way I think 20k sounds reasonable....

Andrew*Debbie
02-20-2008, 10:39 AM
leather or leatherette? I prefer leather. But some prefer leatherrette, depends on if you have kids or wild animals along for the ride.... Either way I think 20k sounds reasonable....

I'm not a big fan of the 'ette they used in 2004. It is odd, kinda like imitation fabric.

srinikit,

Price sounds about right. How long do you plan to keep the car? The retail value of a used BMW falls sharply when the warranty runs out. Be aware the car will be worth significantly less in a year or two.

Take the VIN to a BMW dealer and have them pull up the service history on the car. Should give you an idea of what is up.

The 2004 panoramic sunroof is prone to rattles. BMW updated the sunroof in 2007. The good news is the 2007 sunroof cassette fits the 2004. It is possible the one in the car you are looking at has already been replaced. If not, check it carefully.

There was an issue with the passenger seat airbag sensor for 2004. Check to see if that has been fixed already.

Anything else that is broken now would still be covered, so you can always take the car in if something isn't working.

When a BMW gets to be about 7 years old a whole bunch of parts wear out. There is a lot of plastic in the cooling system. It will all fail in another 3 or 4 years. Long term it won't be that expensive to own, but every once in a while you will be hit with a big ticket repair. Be prepared.

This list is for the e46 3 series. The X3 shares a lot with the e46. Repairs will be similar.

http://www.windigoauto.com/E46CommonProblems.html

I'd also watch the cooling fan and the control arm bushings.

srinikit
02-20-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks a lot to everyone for the feedback. Andrew, that was really nice of you to list the problems. I own a 02 525 CPO and I have been to the shop three times to get things fixed. I understand the problems without the CPO. I plan to keep it for about 3-4 yrs and dispose it off. The only reason why I got attracted is due to the low mileage.

Thanks a lot once again.

Krish

judybe83
02-20-2008, 04:46 PM
One thing about the 04 X3's, the cell phone WILL NOT work :mad: without a few hundred $ upgrade.

ab

AzNMpower32
02-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Yea, the '04s do not have Bluetooth or mp3 capabilities.