PDA

View Full Version : X3 drives sluggish after brake/rotor change

g4string
02-20-2008, 05:46 PM
I recently changed the rear pads and rotors on my 2005 X3. I used Brembo rotors and Akebono ceramic pads. The car feels like it is working harder to accelerate than it did before I did the repairs. Is there something I could have missed that is causing this to happen? FWIW, I did not bleed the brakes..........

Mystic1
02-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Only thing I can think of is your pads/calipers are dragging.

judybe83
02-20-2008, 06:10 PM
ouch after you drive for a FEW blocks get out and hold your hand close to the rotor, don't touch it.

Did you push the pistons (all the way) back into the caliper? And take the master cylinder cap off when you do/did it?

I rode my motorcycle for several miles with my foot (I think it had a few to many beers) resting on the brake pedal. It was night and when I got off to check, the rotor was glowing. BIG MISTAKE, ruined the rear brake :bawling:.

ab

g4string
02-20-2008, 10:08 PM
ouch after you drive for a FEW blocks get out and hold your hand close to the rotor, don't touch it.

Did you push the pistons (all the way) back into the caliper? And take the master cylinder cap off when you do/did it?

I rode my motorcycle for several miles with my foot (I think it had a few to many beers) resting on the brake pedal. It was night and when I got off to check, the rotor was glowing. BIG MISTAKE, ruined the rear brake :bawling:.

ab

I took of the cap to brake fluid reservoir in the engine compartment. And yes, I pushed the pistons back as far as they would go. I wonder if I should bleed the brakes?

Andrew*Debbie
02-21-2008, 07:10 AM
I wonder if I should bleed the brakes?

No reason to bleed the brakes.

Did you do anything with the emergency brakes when you had the rear rotors off?

I'd lift up the back end of the car and see if anything is dragging.

brosher
02-24-2008, 10:51 AM
Sounds like a sticky caliper or the e-brake needs adjustment. You need to be careful not to damage the piston seal when you compress it back into the caliper. If you damaged it corrosion can happen quickly.

After your next drive feel the wheel to see if it is warm. Don't touch the rotor itself, you'll burn your hand. If the wheel itself is getting warm you are dragging the brakes. Compare temp to the front wheels if needed.