PDA

View Full Version : Rear shock mount unibody is broken

yip88
02-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Have this noise from the rear shock and found out the shock tower unibody is broken. see pic. Any suggestion how to fix it will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance:cry:

sprky296
02-20-2008, 08:22 PM
Have this noise from the rear shock and found out the shock tower unibody is broken. see pic. Any suggestion how to fix it will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance:cry:

I used to own a '97 E36 M3 Sedan, and found out it had the same problem. I actually bought the car under the assumption that it was in "perfect" mechanical order, then I discovered this after a month or so of driving it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but here is my story. I took the car to several independent mechanics and even a local dealership, and they all referred me to a body shop. The body shop took a look, and told me that the entire rear wheel well(s) had to be replaced (cost would have been in excess of $12,000). In a nutshell, the car was "totaled" when I bought it... Attached are the pictures of what the body shop found.

I've heard of some ghetto-style fixes, but with those the car will never be as mechanically sturdy as it should be. I know this is a common problem of the E36 M3's, but I have yet to find a suitable fix.

PS - When I got my "new" E36 M3, this was the first thing I checked out on it!

Like I said, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. If anyone else has any ideas on how to fix this problem, I'd love to hear about it...

yip88
02-20-2008, 08:56 PM
My mechanic friend suggested to add a piece and weld it down with the unibody, also do the same with the other side, so both sides are balanced. Also, I note that an Z plate reinforcement may also be welded down to create a mounting plate for the RSM. anyway, I will take it to few more places just to get some ideas. It is driveable but have to be easy on it. Thanks

HolE39
02-20-2008, 08:59 PM
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61628&highlight=Rear+Shock+Sheetmetal&page=4

Check this.

wag-zhp
02-20-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm not sure if these will completely fix that, you may have to get the torn frame welded up first, but I would use one of these set ups:

http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RSM&Category_Code=S

http://www.ground-control-store.com/products/description.php/II=7/CA=9

yip88
02-20-2008, 10:50 PM
Cool, these are good suggestions! I think the Rogue setup will work as it lets the shock mounting from the bottom which should prevent additional stress on the broken tower, but by looking at it, I am not sure it will cover the damage area. I will know more once it is welded up. This is a good start, thanks guys!

yip88
03-06-2008, 12:01 AM
Finally the car is back on the road again. Welded up the broken piece (the shock mount actually gave up on the way to the shop) it was barely hanging on. Scarey! I choose the Rogue RSM setup which is thick enough to be welded on and looks pretty solid. I also painted it for the rust proof. The one thing I really like is the shock now can be maintained from the bottom, no need to mess around with the trunk carpet...it has been for a week now so far so good, no wierd noise. :thumbup:

HolE39
03-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Great! Glad your sled is back in good form.

wag-zhp
03-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Very cool!!!

robertavian
03-19-2008, 01:16 PM
My ride has the same problem, alas. I'm going to use the Rogue kit, but I don't know a mechanic I can use to do the welding. Can anybody recommend a mechanic for this job somewhere in the San Francisco Bay area (san jose ok too)? Probably I will install new Konis at the same time.

yip88
03-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Well my friend did the welding and installed the mount with the shocks. i did not see the finish but I think he did a good job. i also checked around for few local welders, they all said they could do it between $80 -150, just look them up in the craigslist. I did not use them since the car was not so drivable at the time. PM me if you want more in detail. The welders and the shop are in San Jose. Hope this helps and good luck!