PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a 2004 X3

marvenmassey
02-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi folks,
This is following a previous thread on purchasing a CPO vehicle or from a reg dealer...well I've come to the conclusion that CPO vehicle will be better. Although the regular dealer is asking quite a bit less they are high milage. Well over 80K (50k Miles)..the lower milage ones are pretty close to BMW CPO ones. Plus a CPO vehicle offers roadside assistance and a much lower finance rate. In any case I have a few questions if someone can help..

I am getting a Auto - will I be ok? I am being told by BMW that this is covered by CPO and is a SW issue not a mechanical one.
Athough I dont want to be in the shop all the time. Should I be getting a 2005 instead??
Can I add the AERO kit to a 2004, if so where can I get it? I think I can but I've been looking everywhere and searching threads but it isnt clear.
Can I add Bluetooth and Ipod functionality? I think Dension (http://www.dension.com/GW100.php) has units or I might get a NAV with it built in..Anyone have any experiance with a built in NAV unit or Dension?
If I can add it any one know where I can get it done in the GTA?

I know there are some answers to these but they are not clear. Please dont flame me with a search answer ;-)

Thx
M.

AzNMpower32
02-23-2008, 02:28 PM
The automatic gearbox on the '04 X3 is fine, no reliability or major software issues. The '04s have a firmer ride, cannot read mp3s, and did not have Bluetooth from the factory. The interior door handles are black plastic, versus painted silver plastic on the '05s and later.

You can add the Aerodynamic kit as an accessory item (its in the Accessories brochure from your dealer). Dealer buy, dealer can install. It'll be at least US$3500 for the parts.

I believe Bluetooth and iPod can be added aftermarket. I think www.bimmernav.com has OEM integration, and DICE has a kit for the iPod.

CORONET
02-23-2008, 03:51 PM
I 'm selling an X3 with the aero kit and other things already installed. Take a look.

www.msnusers.com/arizonaclan

marvenmassey
02-23-2008, 04:11 PM
The automatic gearbox on the '04 X3 is fine, no reliability or major software issues. The '04s have a firmer ride, cannot read mp3s, and did not have Bluetooth from the factory. The interior door handles are black plastic, versus painted silver plastic on the '05s and later.
You can add the Aerodynamic kit as an accessory item (its in the Accessories brochure from your dealer). Dealer buy, dealer can install. It'll be at least US$3500 for the parts.
I believe Bluetooth and iPod can be added aftermarket. I think www.bimmernav.com has OEM integration, and DICE has a kit for the iPod.
Thx AzNMpower32 for your replies. I drove both today..I did find the '05 a little smoother....I might buy the AERO kit but wont have the stealer install. I've seen bimmernav..I'll look more closely at it.
M.

I 'm selling an X3 with the aero kit and other things already installed. Take a look.

www.msnusers.com/arizonaclan

Hi Cornet - I replied to your post about this already..

Mystic1
02-24-2008, 08:23 PM
AzN already answered most of the questions. Aero kit can be purchased directly from the dealer, but this would be costly IMO. There is a kit on ebay that is selling for over $5K, but that seems to be the going rate at the dealer. I would shop around, maybe at the vendors/sponsers of this site.
AC Schnitzer sells a kit for the X3 but I do not know the cost of that off hand, and I think there is another BMW aftermarket company (Hamann?) that sells a kit too. Compare looks and prices and see which one works best for you.

Just looked and www.bavauto.com sells both Hamann and AC components of the Aero kits.

marvenmassey
02-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Another question - any issue with high milage vehicle?? The one I am looking at has got 75K miles but it's a 2005 or should I wait an get something with lower milage...

Thx
M.

Mystic1
02-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Another question - any issue with high milage vehicle?? The one I am looking at has got 75K miles but it's a 2005 or should I wait an get something with lower milage...

Thx
M.

That's definately high for a 2005. Average is around 15K per year, so around 45K would be typical. Personally, I would look for a lower mileage car, but that is your call. If is a CPO vehicle, it's better, and if it has incl. maint, even more so. All depends how quickly you need a car, what is available at the time, and how much you want to spend.

marvenmassey
02-26-2008, 05:49 PM
That's definately high for a 2005. Average is around 15K per year, so around 45K would be typical. Personally, I would look for a lower mileage car, but that is your call. If is a CPO vehicle, it's better, and if it has incl. maint, even more so. All depends how quickly you need a car, what is available at the time, and how much you want to spend.

I do have a bit of a budget as car is for the wife. I may look for something with less milage but I dont think I'll get below 50K. Thx for your reply Mystic1.

M.

Xringer
02-27-2008, 07:02 AM
My kid got one with about 12k miles on it last August.
The local dealers had a few of them with under 30k miles.

Since it was a lease car, it came without any of the 'extras'.
Does not even have the pop-up nav door on the dash or a computer button on the turn signal stick.
(I added the OEM mud flaps and got her a Nuvi-350 GPS for it).

No real problems with the car. The auto-trans works just fine. She loves the car and will
get another X3 when the time comes.