PDA

View Full Version : 08 X3 6M Maiden Snow Voyage

bobkap
02-25-2008, 05:26 AM
I live in the high altitude (for Jersey) NW corner of Morris County where the rural roads are hilly, curvey and loaded with negative-bank turns; just a little snow turns them from awful to horrible depending if a particular driver is a reasonable person or moron. (the latter is the majority)
As I left for work one morning last week, 6" of loose powder was on the ground with allot more on the way and staying home was not an option. My new X3 or trusty Jeep wrangler 5M 4WD were my ride choices. Somewhat reluctantly, I took a beep breath, jumped into the X3, said a few Hail Mary's, crossed myself, and off I went on the unplowed road, white knuckles and all. In a few minutes, the knuckles resumed normal color, heart rate slid back to normal, a grin appeared on my face and, walla, I was having fun. With no other cars in sight, I goosed the gas while turning the wheel in a vain attempt to kick out the rear a little , but no dice, the X tracked just where pointed. On the real curvey portions, I wasn't so brave just using steering, gas and gears without DTC to feel my way along. Arrived at work a little later than normal; the 200 space, usually half-filled, parking lot was empty.

Verdict: The X3 6M is very competent in snow and in the hands of anyone but a maniac, should get you where you need to go without much of a fuss. Whether or not it's as good as my previous SUV, an Acura MDX, remains to be seen.
Cheers,
bobkap

STE92VE
02-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Bob, would you specify which tires you have....

porschebreath
02-25-2008, 02:56 PM
Great review , thanks.:thumbup:

Mystic1
02-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Verdict: The X3 6M is very competent in snow and in the hands of anyone but a maniac, should get you where you need to go without much of a fuss.
bobkap

That pretty much sums up our review of the X3 too. If you need more that that, go for an off road vehicle. That being said, we will most likely sport a better winter tire next year to be certain we have no issues.

bobkap
02-26-2008, 03:36 AM
Bob, would you specify which tires you have....
STE,
Scorpions.
bob