PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Into my X3

eoloh
02-26-2008, 03:46 PM
Well the police just left swearing at my X3. After an hour of trying to get my 2 1/2 yr old to press the pseudo open button on the keys and then trying to break into the car it came down to the glass. On my key fob only the lock seems like a real button. So my son kept hitting the lock button. Then they got a metal rod inside and grabbed the handle. They had it all the way open and the door would not unlock. Then they put in a metal rod and hit the unlock button on the dash and it would not unlock the car. My son repeatedly hit that same unlock button and nothing happened. We also got him to grab the door handle and he pulled but could not open it. They eventually had to take the back side of a hammer and slam (and I mean slam) the window repeatedly before it broke. Thankfully my son was perfectly fine the whole time. But it was like as soon as the lock on the key fob was pressed the whole car went into lockdown or something. But through it all I could only think of being in an accident. Just how would they get you out? And if you ever had to break the glass to get out, just hope you have a hammer handy. There have been a few issues with my X3 including some odd transmission issues, my sos button died at 15000 miles, and a few other odd things. It has been enough to make me think twice about buying one again. This kind of pushed me over the edge. Granted one does not want their car stolen, but still it seems a bit much.

Sonoman707
02-26-2008, 04:39 PM
In an accident - it automatically unlocks all doors, turns on interior lights and activates the hazard lights. As well - you'd be in the car with the key and the doors would unlock normally.

Although a sticky situation - this is specifically mentioned in the owner's manual and they warn to always take the key with you in the event there are animals or small children that could accidentally lock the doors.

kjboyd
02-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Yes, if you use the KEY FOB to lock the doors, it is LOCKED down. it will only open again with the key fob.

Andrew*Debbie
02-26-2008, 05:30 PM
Sounds like the doors were double locked??? I didn't know the X3 did that.

My 1990 535 had a double lock. With the car double locked the only way to open it was with a key.

AzNMpower32
02-26-2008, 07:51 PM
With the X3, if you lock the door with the key fob, it will not unlock if you pull the door handle. This is the "built-in" anti-theft device (in place of an alarm system I guess :p).

I believe that if you hit the unlock button on the dash, you can unlock THEN by pulling on the door handle. Locking with the key fob is like a double-lock as others have mentioned. Pushing the dash button a couple times disengages the double-lock but the doors will remain locked until you pull the interior door handle.

In a collision when the vehicle is operational, the hazards, interior lights come on, the doors all will unlock. The battery is cut but the power windows remain operational.

bobbyjoe
02-27-2008, 10:15 AM
You mentioned that you had the SOS button.

Could you not have called BMW Assist and get them to remote unlock the car?
Even if you did not have a subscription, is it possible to buy one right there and then or have some kind of single use fee?

I'm just thinking either of these possibilities must be cheaper than replacing the window...

AzNMpower32
02-27-2008, 10:19 AM
Once you do not renew your BMW Assist, the SOS button is disabled. I don't think you can re-enable it or resubscribe at a later date once your original subscription has lapsed.

hot_croc
02-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Once you do not renew your BMW Assist, the SOS button is disabled. I don't think you can re-enable it or resubscribe at a later date once your original subscription has lapsed.
Hm. Is it physically disabled when the subscription expires? If not, I can't imagine why it couldn't receive the signal and operate accordingly. Isn't the subscription just for the service (not the equipment)? Kinda like a cable box: if you don't pay your bill they turn off the feed, but they can start it up again at anytime.

skitime
02-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Also, if you use the door handles inside, you have to pull it once to unlock, then pull again to open the door.....

AzNMpower32
02-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Also, if you use the door handles inside, you have to pull it once to unlock, then pull again to open the door.....
No, that's the point of the original post. If you lock the doors with the key fob, pulling the door handles will NOT unlock the doors.

As for BMW Assist, I know they can remotely disable the BMW Assist beacon or transmitter.

pilotman
02-27-2008, 11:28 AM
I don't understand why this was so difficult.

As others have noted, hitting the center unlock button and then pulling the handle twice works. (I just tried it on my 2006 X3 which is sitting in my garage).

Also, I have personally used a slim jim to open our 2006 X3, when we accidently lost our keys while on vacation. (I keep a slim jim under the rear bumper cover).

I am not a cop, nor a professional car thief, but I was able to jimmy our lock in about 4 minutes or so with the slim jim, no problem...

pilotman
02-27-2008, 11:29 AM
Yes, if you use the KEY FOB to lock the doors, it is LOCKED down. it will only open again with the key fob.

this isn't my experience, just tried this on our 2006 X3, hitting the central unlock button on the center of the dash and pullling the handle twice allowed me to open the door...:dunno:

kjboyd
02-27-2008, 12:00 PM
keep in mind this was a 2 year old inside the car., not an adult.

Brandon01
02-27-2008, 03:06 PM
An important FYI about the BMW Assist remote door unlock - it's only available on the 08 X3 and later.

Check the fine print in the BMW Assist owner's manual:
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/BMWAssist/Default.aspx

pilotman
02-27-2008, 09:55 PM
keep in mind this was a 2 year old inside the car., not an adult.

I understand that, but the OP says his kid pushed the center unlock button, and then pulled the interior door handle multiple times...

i just tried this in my garage and it let me out no problem....:dunno:

archrenov8
02-28-2008, 05:45 AM
There might be a limited amount of time between when you push that center dash button and when you open the door handle, or maybe you have to open the door handle twice, or more firmly than the two year old was capable of doing.

Don't have my X3 yet, so I cannot test this theory out.

pilotman
02-28-2008, 07:52 AM
There might be a limited amount of time between when you push that center dash button and when you open the door handle, or maybe you have to open the door handle twice, or more firmly than the two year old was capable of doing.

Don't have my X3 yet, so I cannot test this theory out.

no, that isn't the case.

Here is the official word from BMW on this issue, again, just push the central unlock button and then pull the handle twice.

This is no different then if you have the automatic door lock feature on that locks after more than 5mph, and you have to pull handle twice to open door...

SI B 61 04 06
February 2006

SUBJECT
Exiting a Vehicle that is Double-Locked from the Outside

MODEL
All 1999 Model Year and later

INFORMATION
Never lock a vehicle from outside the car with an someone inside the car.

In the unlikely case where this situation occurs, the person inside the car can exit the vehicle using the following 2-step procedure:

1) Press the central unlock button to disable "double-lock".

2) Pull the door handle twice to open door.

NOTE: For vehicles with DWA (alarm system), opening the door will activate the alarm.

X3 Skier
02-29-2008, 06:09 PM
In the unlikely case where this situation occurs, the person inside the car can exit the vehicle using the following 2-step procedure:

1) Press the central unlock button to disable "double-lock".

2) Pull the door handle twice to open door.

NOTE: For vehicles with DWA (alarm system), opening the door will activate the alarm.

That is the way it worked when I tried it on my 05 with alarm.

Locked with the fob, pressed the unlock button on the panel, pulled twice and the door opened and the alarm went off. Turned off the alarm with the fob.

Cheers