PDA

View Full Version : Brakes and Rotors

diehlryan
02-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Anyone here do their own maintence?

$1400 is absurd for a brake job at the dealer especially when brakes are one of the easiest things to work on.

I plan on replacing on my own when the time comes and want to swap in Zimmerman X-Drilled w/ PBR Deluxe pads. I'm open to other options as well but I cant find a site anywhere that sells anything but OEM equipment for it.

Any help?

Thanks!

Ryan

Mystic1
02-26-2008, 06:29 PM
IMO, cross drilled is for the track. There really is no need for them on an X3 unless you are auto-crossing, plus they usually will start to crack fairly quickly (initially with hairlines) when driven on the street. My suggestion is going with slotted, or slotted and dimpled if you want the cross drilled look.

I don't know of BMW specific aftermarket companies for brakes, but try contacting Rich at rotorpros.com. He has custom rotors for many applications and can do a combination of rotor pattern, painted hubs, or zinc coatings to your liking.

diehlryan
02-26-2008, 06:37 PM
IMO, cross drilled is for the track. There really is no need for them on an X3 unless you are auto-crossing, plus they usually will start to crack fairly quickly (initially with hairlines) when driven on the street. My suggestion is going with slotted, or slotted and dimpled if you want the cross drilled look.

I've had great experience with Zimmerman X-Drilled. You just need to be careful that they are from zimmerman and not a supplier that purchased zimmerman solid and drilled their own.

Of course my experience is on the TT and have about 10k mi on my zimmermans with pbr pads.

I like the slotted look too but always thought they would wear teh pads faster.

Mystic1
02-26-2008, 06:52 PM
Just found some EBC slotted and dimpled rotors for an X3 on their website. But you need to find a distributor to buy them. *********.com

Mystic1
02-26-2008, 06:55 PM
I've had great experience with Zimmerman X-Drilled. You just need to be careful that they are from zimmerman and not a supplier that purchased zimmerman solid and drilled their own.

Of course my experience is on the TT and have about 10k mi on my zimmermans with pbr pads.

I like the slotted look too but always thought they would wear teh pads faster.

EBC and UUC Motorweks both suggest slotted and dimpled over cross drilled. Yes, I believe the slotted will wear the pads a little quicker, but I would rather replace pads over rotors.

AzNMpower32
02-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Go to an independent shop. There's little reason to go to the stealership once the warranty expires. There's a handful of good ones in the area.

The OEM pads and rotors are plenty good; folks have done auto-x events with them and have no complaints, except for the dust that they create.

diehlryan
02-27-2008, 04:46 AM
dust is my main concern and without a doubt I'll be upgrading the pads to a low dust variant.

The slotted/drilled/dimpled are mainly just for looks due to the rotor size and being so visible.

And flame if you want but I'll probably paint the calipers a nice gloss black because the gray with brake dust look is BLAH.

Andrew*Debbie
02-27-2008, 06:03 AM
Anyone here do their own maintence?

$1400 is absurd for a brake job at the dealer especially when brakes are one of the easiest things to work on.

I plan on replacing on my own when the time comes and want to swap in Zimmerman X-Drilled w/ PBR Deluxe pads. I'm open to other options as well but I cant find a site anywhere that sells anything but OEM equipment for it.

Any help?

Thanks!

Ryan

I've worked on our older BMWs. Haven't done an X3.

Hints:

Order all 4 rotors, the pads and the two sensors. While you only need to replace the sensors if the light is on, I prefer to have the parts on hand.

You will need an allen key socket to get off the calipers. It is something like 7mm or 8mm. One of those things you should have in the tool box before starting the job.

You will need some sort of tool to push the caliper piston back in. I used a C-clamp.

The parking brakes shoes are inside the rear brake rotors. The rotors won't come off if the parking brake is on. If your parking brake won't hold the car, check if the shoes are glazed.

OE pads are very dusty, but are quiet and have good high temp performance. You could try asking for pad recommendations in the DIY forum. I haven't kept up on the latest. Stay away from racing parts!

I like ATe rotors.

I'm not surprised X3 parts are harder to find. Most X3s are still in in Ultimate Service. Not too many people race them, so little demand for performance brakes.

Mail Order Parts suppliers I've used with good results. Don't give up if the X3 parts aren't listed on-line. Call or e-mail and ask if they can order it for you.

http://www.bimmerparts.com/
http://www.bmpdesign.com/
http://www.circlebmw.com/
http://www.bmaparts.com/

I've also used Black Forest BMW in Temecula,Ca but the website is gone. They may be out of business.

It is worth looking in the forum sponsors area too. There may be someone there with a discount.

diehlryan
02-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Andrew - Thanks for the informative response.

The swap looks easy enough to me. I found a ridiculously detailed DIY on x5world HERE (http://www.x5world.com/articles/x5/brakes/9584-bmw-x5-complete-brake-job-diy.html) If a monkey could read I'm sure he/she could tackle this task no problem.

We just bought the X3 10days ago at 44k mi and I'm sure I have a bit to wait until any brake issues. The car will be into BMW at 49,500 mi for 1 last check up before the maintence period if over.

The main reason for all this research is to decide whether or not the maintence plan was worth it. From what I've read it is if you plan on having BMW do your brakes and Inspection II. Right now I'm leaning in the direction that the extra $2k isn't worth it.

540gone
02-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Dielhryan,

I suggest you check (or have an independent shop check) the rotor thickness prior to going in at 49.5K. If your car has never had brakes, chances are they are below min thickness, even if they "look" just fine. If they are below min thickness, the replacement of rotors and pads is a no questions asked issue. Also have them check the front CV boots - this is a common issue w/ the X-5, not so sure about the X-3. Also your last chance for free wiper blades :-).

This worked like a charm for me, & I agree the $2K or whatever for the maintenance plan is a waste.

Good luck, Bob

Andrew*Debbie
02-27-2008, 07:09 AM
Andrew - Thanks for the informative response.

The swap looks easy enough to me. I found a ridiculously detailed DIY on x5world HERE (http://www.x5world.com/articles/x5/brakes/9584-bmw-x5-complete-brake-job-diy.html)

That is a great DIY. Next time someone asks I'll just point them there.

The Zeckhausen website lists X3 brake pads and rotors.

Mystic1
02-27-2008, 09:55 AM
dust is my main concern and without a doubt I'll be upgrading the pads to a low dust variant.

The slotted/drilled/dimpled are mainly just for looks due to the rotor size and being so visible.

And flame if you want but I'll probably paint the calipers a nice gloss black because the gray with brake dust look is BLAH.

Yeah, the main reason to go with the slotted dimpled is for looks, but you do get some performance out of them as they allow the gasses to escape from between the pads and rotors. No flame needed for the caliper painting. I do dislike the look of corroded aluminum as well. I will most likely paint ours too, but not sure of either black or silver to blend a little with the wheels.

Brakes aren't that hard on most cars. As long as you have a good set of instructions to follow it is relatively simple. I do suggest a Bentley manual or equivalent when doing the job as it will be pretty detailed, and just in case something happens. Plus they are nice to have for reference for anything else about the car.

dajuice27
06-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I'll let you know how the brake job goes as I am replacing my brakes tomorrow in my garage. I have about had it with the dealer ad their prices for work. My last maintenance for my brakes 2 years ago was $1500 so I can only imagine how much chedda it is today. I only spent $600 on parts so I figure to be ahead at least a grand which will be used to pay for this expensive azz gasoline!