PDA

View Full Version : X3 VIN info +

jo-e90
02-27-2008, 07:16 AM
What information on the X3 can be determined from the VIN, such as options added when ordered and MONTH and YEAR it was made?

How can you tell from pictures if it has xenon, servotronic, premium stereo, premium package, auto dim mirror, leather vs letherette?
Why do some have reflective piping on the seats and other dont?

diehlryan
02-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Here is a VIN Decoder (http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi)

STE92VE
02-27-2008, 09:13 AM
How can you tell from pictures if it has xenon, servotronic, premium stereo, premium package, auto dim mirror, leather vs letherette?
Why do some have reflective piping on the seats and other dont?

Xenons have halo rings around the headlights and are known as angel eyes. I've noticed that reflection on the seats also but haven't given it much thought. Maybe because it's a smooth, shiny material, it reflects the flash back into the camera???

AzNMpower32
02-27-2008, 10:17 AM
If you provide us with pictures, I can definitely help you see what's there.

Xenons have a projector-type headlight bulb and a small green LED next to the automatic setting on the headlamp switch.

Reflective piping means the car has leather. Leatherette (and in Europe, cloth) does not have reflective piping. Looks cool, and is an easy way to tell :bigpimp:

Auto-dimming mirrors come with the premium package, and there is a small photosensor on the centre top of the face of the interior rearview mirror. The easiest way to tell premium package is if there is 4-way adjustable lumbar support, a round button in front of the power seat switches (3.0i, 3.0si only).

Premium sound vehicles have DSP settings that are adjusted thru the tone button (music note for non sat-nav vehicles) on the audio controls.'

The month/year of production is on the info sticker on the driver's door jamb.

STE92VE
02-27-2008, 10:33 AM
If you provide us with pictures, I can definitely help you see what's there.

Xenons have a projector-type headlight bulb and a small green LED next to the automatic setting on the headlamp switch.

Reflective piping means the car has leather. Leatherette (and in Europe, cloth) does not have reflective piping. Looks cool, and is an easy way to tell :bigpimp:

Auto-dimming mirrors come with the premium package, and there is a small photosensor on the centre top of the face of the interior rearview mirror. The easiest way to tell premium package is if there is 4-way adjustable lumbar support, a round button in front of the power seat switches (3.0i, 3.0si only).

Premium sound vehicles have DSP settings that are adjusted thru the tone button (music note for non sat-nav vehicles) on the audio controls.'

The month/year of production is on the info sticker on the driver's door jamb.
Show off.....:D

AzNMpower32
02-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Show off.....:D
No, show off would be when I configure cars like the M3 on the Deutschland BMW site and then post pictures of them here, knowing full well you can't get some of the options separately or even at all. Their build tool is more detailed. When you add MDrive, they even change the steering wheel button!:D

Note the DCT, Business sat nav, "Speed" cloth/leather upholstery, MDrive, EDC.........

STE92VE
02-27-2008, 10:49 AM
No, show off would be when I configure cars like the M3 on the Deutschland BMW site and then post pictures of them here, knowing full well you can't get some of the options separately or even at all. Their build tool is more detailed. When you add MDrive, they even change the steering wheel button!:D

Note the DCT, Business sat nav, "Speed" cloth/leather upholstery, MDrive, EDC.........
OK, I stand corrected... Mr. Know-it-All....:D

archrenov8
02-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Hmmm. So, how accurate is that VIN decoder. Mine just came up showing right hand steering, on partial VIN WE78959.

Mine was just completed last Sunday. I do hope it is left hand drive.

STE92VE
02-27-2008, 11:36 AM
Hmmm. So, how accurate is that VIN decoder. Mine just came up showing right hand steering, on partial VIN WE78959.

You must have entered the wrong digits...this is for a 2.5 X3 made in 9/2005

Or are you sure the dealer didn't sell you a CPO X3........:D

AzNMpower32
02-27-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't think that site is perfectly accurate.

LMC
02-27-2008, 11:50 AM

Your dealer just called; the good news is that your car is here. :thumbup:

The bad news is that it is a Yugo convertible with the Diesel option, the 3-speed manual and RHD. The dealer will not be asking for extra money for the green leather, as that was a factory mistake. Plus they realize it doesn't really go with the red exterior color all that well.

:angel:

archrenov8
02-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Let's hope not. I don't see how it could glean all that from the VIN as code. It must look to production records. As a matter of fact, the build specs on my Owner's Circle Tracking exclude four of the options that I ordered, so their computer tracking is really useless. And it still shows that mine is scheduled for production, so all this hooplah about being able to track your order seems like BS.

Even when I called BMW, they referred me back to my dealer for the most accurate info. The guy said that BMW wants the dealers to be more in the loop, so they give them better software tools for tracking the order. My question is, then why does the dealer brag so much about the order tracking ability for Owners?

STE92VE
02-27-2008, 12:19 PM
My question is, then why does the dealer brag so much about the order tracking ability for Owners?

Like some salesmen, after the sale is made, they feel their job is over. I happen to be in sales and guys like that give us all a bad rap.

STE92VE
02-27-2008, 12:26 PM
Even when I called BMW, they referred me back to my dealer for the most accurate info.
Slightly OT....
I believe when you speak to a live person at the 800#, the info is the same as the dealers have access to. If you're like me, you wouldn't want to call your CA 5 times a day to find out if your ride has made it out of the paint shop. Just prepare yourself that now that your X3 has completed production, very little info will be forthcoming about it's progress to the USA. You won't be able to find shipping info until 24-48 hours after it gets loaded onto a ship.

archrenov8
02-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Actually, the live person at the 800 number said that there info wasn't much better than what I was seeing on the website, and that was after putting me on hold for 5 minutes. For some reason, with my production number, it is not easily accessed information.

He said that BMW has given the dealers better access to the info, and when I called my SA, she was great and emailed me the proper info within 5 minutes.

The strange part is that once you make the sale, they say that you will have a production number in a day, and will be able to track the progress of your order, every step of the way. The trouble is that the info that I can pull off their order-tracking website is so vague and inaccurate as to be useless. So why do they promote such a lame system?

STE92VE
02-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Actually, the live person at the 800 number said that there info wasn't much better than what I was seeing on the website, and that was after putting me on hold for 5 minutes. For some reason, with my production number, it is not easily accessed information.

He said that BMW has given the dealers better access to the info, and when I called my SA, she was great and emailed me the proper info within 5 minutes.

The strange part is that once you make the sale, they say that you will have a production number in a day, and will be able to track the progress of your order, every step of the way. The trouble is that the info that I can pull off their order-tracking website is so vague and inaccurate as to be useless. So why do they promote such a lame system?

I guess you have to consider it a work in progress. It's a better system than not having one. I envision the day when you will be able to circumvent your local dealer and have the ability to input your own factory order with every option that is available in their system (dependent upon local equipment and environmental regulations). The true enthusiasts know more about the vehicles they're ordering than many a CA, so IMHO, cut out the middle man and pass the savings onto your faithful following...:thumbup:

archrenov8
02-27-2008, 02:29 PM
I guess you have to consider it a work in progress. It's a better system than not having one. I envision the day when you will be able to circumvent your local dealer and have the ability to input your own factory order with every option that is available in their system (dependent upon local equipment and environmental regulations). The true enthusiasts know more about the vehicles they're ordering than many a CA, so IMHO, cut out the middle man and pass the savings onto your faithful following...:thumbup:

In fact, two days ago, I helped a friend of mine order a MINI, and the SA uses the same Build a MINI screen interface that we use online, with the exception that once the building is complete, it gets saved and generates a Sales Summary and order. Now that makes sense, because you feel like the information you are getting on the Build a MINI website is accurate and familiar.

Why that has not filtered across the product lines to BMW is anyones guess.

Mystic1
02-27-2008, 03:19 PM
I used the tracking system back in '05 when our's was being built and it tracked pretty well. All you really get is if is still in the order bank, when it is being processed, start of production, completed production, awaiting transport, or in transit. I may be off a little on terms and exact stages, but you get the idea. I found it pretty cool that it had that info.

archrenov8
02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
My status has never changed, and it is already built now since last Sunday. It still says "Scheduled for Production."