BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Diesel X5 and potential woes (Rant)

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Boomer69 
#1 ·
Well I had been psyched for the incoming diesels into ny until tonight.
Just passed a few gas stations.
They seem to know Diesels are coming.
Regular gas $3.23 (I'm paying $3.55 for premium)
BUT
Diesel NOW $4.15 ! A good 30% higher than regular! (was in the $3.30 to $3.50 range before)
so much for cost savings, they are giving it to us right in the fuel tank! (substitute anatomical location for defecation)

So even with more efficient engines (albeit at a premium from bmw) the cost of diesel has been cranked through the roof.

I'm betting on $4.00 gas this summer on long island

Any takers?

Mike

#2 ·
All I have to say is 428 ft-lbs of torque... When you are spending over $55K, what's a few extra bucks a day when you have all of that torque?

When my 2 year lease is up on the 3.0si, we are getting the diesel.

#5 ·
All I have to say is 428 ft-lbs of torque... When you are spending over $55K, what's a few extra bucks a day when you have all of that torque?

When my 2 year lease is up on the 3.0si, we are getting the diesel.
diesel prices have been escalating for quite a few years now. i don't really understand the mentality of it is an expensive car so you shouldn't feel the pain at the pump. when i bought my first diesel pick up truck in 2004, diesel was $1.45 & today it is $3.65. that same truck does not earn anymore money in a given day than it did four years ago. (other than adjustment for inflation). so increased operating costs eat into the bottom line. a new F450 runs about $62k

now if you use your diesel X5 as a toy or don't drive but 10k miles a year, then the extra couple of bucks will probably go unnoticed. my X5 is my DD / company vehicle. i average over 2500 miles / month. i don't see it being worth the upcharge for the torque and moderate increase in mpg's in my personal situation.

and i suppose if you are already used to throwing money away on a lease, the extra couple of bucks in fuel are negligible. realistically, in the case of a lease, what does the price of the vehicle have to do with anything anyway?

#3 ·
When I was driving my 180db back in the day I always made it a point to stop where the trucks did usually on the outskirts of town. The fuel was always much cheaper and since so much was being pumped (as opposed to a local service station) I felt it was cleaner. Drove that car across country (Alameda to DC) 6 times with only one problem -- a pulley fell off in Manhatten KS, and I found the pulley and fixed it in a church parking lot with the onboard tool kit! Cheapest diesel I found was in TX at 15.9 cents a gallon! Moving on, diesel prices will be higher at the local self service. I also believe the prices will be lower at commercial fuel (truck) stops. The price will come down when more diesels are on the road, as supply and demand kicks in.

#13 ·
Diesel prices in the U.S. reflect supply pressures caused by the fact that most refineries are focused on gasoline production. At current prices, its hard to make the case that diesel passenger vehicles make any sense from an economic standpoint. History shows that most people prefer gasoline vehicles, all other things being equal. That's why the manufacturers haven't been in any rush to offer them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.