PDA

View Full Version : Limit the size of sigs?

rumratt
04-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Does anyone else wish that the size/length of signatures was limited?

In general I like sigs because you often associate people with the pics/quotes in their sig. However, I currently have signatures turned off because there are a few that are just way too long and get in the way...

Kaz
04-22-2003, 06:14 PM
Agreed 100%

SONET
04-22-2003, 06:25 PM
I agree. More and more people seem to be abusing the current unrestricted setup.

---SONET

rumratt
04-22-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by SONET
More and more people seem to be abusing the current unrestricted setup.

Yep. So much for common netiquette.

In general I like the format here, but I think it would be a big improvement if it was more compact. Suggestions include:

1) Limit sigs. I vote for a very small vertical limit.

2) Reduce white space. I don't know if vBulletin lets you control this or not, but there is a ton of unused space. One example is the space surrounding quoted text.

3) Limit the height of the text in the left column (author column?). Sometimes even when a person doesn't have a sig, their 1-line message takes up a quarter of my screen because of the stuff listed in the left column.

Matt

SONET
04-22-2003, 06:42 PM
It's sad to me that this sort of policy would need to be forced upon people here. I have even mentioned things like this (300KB sigs, 1/4 page of text in sig, etc.) to people but for the most part they don't seem to care. Maybe if their sigs were to disappear they might take notice and Do the Right Thing. :tsk:

--SONET

rost12
04-22-2003, 07:54 PM
How's mine set-up? 28kb total, not that much, I think?

I too would like to be able to remove all of the text in the left column and leave only my nick and avatar there.

As for sigs, some people have HUGE text messages there, dremdo and TD for example. That's unneccessary.

rumratt
04-22-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by rost12
How's mine set-up? 28kb total, not that much, I think?

Rost, yours is one of the smallest. (hmm, no offense.) Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to saying that your picture, or maybe Sonet's picture is the max sig size. If you want extra text, put it in, or to the side of the picture.

BTW, the second post in this thread, by Kaz, shows the problem with the text in the left column. His one line post takes up half my screen. It's crazy. Of course, I'm not saying he did anything wrong because there's no way to prevent this.

Nick325xiT 5spd
04-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by rumatt
Rost, yours is one of the smallest. (hmm, no offense.) Personally, I wouldn't be opposed to saying that your picture, or maybe Sonet's picture is the max sig size. If you want extra text, put it in, or to the side of the picture.

BTW, the second post in this thread, by Kaz, shows the problem with the text in the left column. His one line post takes up half my screen. It's crazy. Of course, I'm not saying he did anything wrong because there's no way to prevent this.

You need a bigger screen. :p

Kaz
04-22-2003, 08:24 PM

It annoys me, too. But at least I only have the avatar, and no sig. If I had both my short posts would be even longer.

rumratt
04-22-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Nick325xiT 5spd
You need a bigger screen. :p

You need less mods on your car so your sig isn't so damn long! :)

rumratt
04-22-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Kaz
It annoys me, too. But at least I only have the avatar, and no sig. If I had both my short posts would be even longer.

Actually, it probably wouldn't be. The sig would take up the space that's already being used by the avatar.

You might as well put a big "This space for rent" sign in there, because the space is being wasted anyway.

rost12
04-22-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Kaz

Nope, look at my post above. One line answer with a sig is the same size as your one line answer with no sig. Unless, of course, you write more than one line :angel:

That info text on the left is useless, if anyone wants to know my post count or location they can click on profile :dunno:

I can probably remove my sig, there aren't that many E65/66 owners here that would find it useful :(

rost12
04-22-2003, 08:50 PM
Rost, yours is one of the smallest. (hmm, no offense.)

:liar: :D

Patrick330i
04-22-2003, 09:03 PM
If a sig seems to be too long, try talking to the poster. I have done this once or twice and it has worked out fine. Some people don't even realize it because they have larger screens. I like the sigs, too, so I haven't turned them off. :thumbup:

Kaz
04-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Tall sigs aren't a big issue when I'm viewing on one of my 1600x1200 displays but a lot of em (especially the ones with a pic and a list of mods) take up half of the height of the screen when I'm on my 1024x768 TFT.

rumratt
04-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Patrick330i
If a sig seems to be too long, try talking to the poster.

You're right, that's not an unreasonable approach. However, it requires effort of continually policing sigs. If it's easy to automate (isn't it?) then why not do so?

The Roadstergal
05-06-2003, 12:31 AM
Rost, yours is one of the smallest. (hmm, no offense.)

Rost = 5142bytes. Rgal = 3371bytes. :p

(He did make it transparent for me.)

rost12
05-06-2003, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by The Roadstergal
Rost = 5142bytes. Rgal = 3371bytes. :p

Correction. Me - 5142 bytes, Rgal - 37090 bytes (all 3 of your images) :p

jw
05-06-2003, 05:24 AM
Sigs don't bother me. Same with Avatars. I've got sigs turned on and Avatars turned off.